Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 04, 2005, 04:43 AM
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
Joined Oct 2003
567 Posts
Lipo cell internal resistance

Well, I am happy to say that this is the one area in RC Groups that really makes my brain smoke! Could this be why I took college physics all those years ago???

Anyway, is there some way to calculate the internal resistance for packs from individual cells? There doesn't seem to be any data from TP, PQ etc. on the specs. of their packs, or cells for that matter.

I was thinking about the internal resistance for use with the motor calc. programs like MotoCalc and Ecalc.

Norm
viflyer is offline Find More Posts by viflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2005, 05:38 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,254 Posts
For practical use you can just measure the voltage at a couple of different current loads and calculate the effective resistance from that e.g. if you have a pack which gives 11.5V at 5A and goes down to 11V at 10A the resistance is

11.5 - 11 / 10 - 5 = 0.5/5 = 0.1 ohms

Since that will be a 3S lipo the resistance/cell will be 0.033

All the calc programs need is a value per cell to work out the reduction in voltage under a particular load.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 04, 2005, 06:25 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,693 Posts
More than you ever wanted to know about battery testing.
http://www.mpoweruk.com/testing.htm
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 05, 2005, 12:31 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=39

Some published specs for Kokams.

I did some Ir testing a while back and consistantly came up with numbers higher than I expected. The Ir also varies depending on the load your applying. So testing at very lite loads gives different readings from testing at heavy loads. State of charge is a factor also as well as temps.

Its a moving target.

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Old Nov 05, 2005, 12:33 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
Oh yea - do a Google search on "measure battery internal resistance" you will get dozens of pages.

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Old Nov 05, 2005, 03:51 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,169 Posts
For Motocalc I simply take cell voltage at the mid-point of the discharge curve, subtract it from the nominal cell voltage, and divide by the discharge current to get internal resistance.

In reality resistance is somewhat non-linear, reducing as current increases. However, if the measurement is taken at a high current draw (ie. close to the cell's maximum continuous rating) error is minimised for most applications. Of more concern is that internal resistance is highly temperature dependent. Since Motocalc does not simulate this, the only way to account for it is to have separate entries for different temperatures.

I get measurements from manufacturers' graphs (if available) or independant tests. One site that has a lot of useful discharge graphs is Elektromodellflug.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Nov 06, 2005, 09:03 AM
San Diego Lindberg, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,288 Posts
do a search with the phrase battery impedance

I a different Ezone thread, there was a construction article on a dynamic battery impedance tester, originally from EDN magazine. I just finished mine last week. I have yet to start cataloging me cells. I modified the circuit so I could test both a A and 10 Amp pulses Seems to give reasonable results
EP
epkoncept is offline Find More Posts by epkoncept
Old Nov 06, 2005, 12:55 PM
United States, IA, Onawa
Joined Nov 2003
1,439 Posts
That brought up a few hundred hits, how about a direct link?
TIA
Jim
IA-Flyer is offline Find More Posts by IA-Flyer
Old Nov 07, 2005, 10:58 AM
Joined Jan 2002
1,288 Posts
here's the link

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ery+impedance+

I think that there is a simple error in the schematic.
I had to wire the op amp as a unit gain to make it work.
EP
Old Nov 13, 2005, 09:01 AM
Joined Jan 2002
1,288 Posts
huh, everyone's wrists broke ?

update:
I had a large pile of poorly performing LiIon packs.
I disassembled about 5 packs. Due to the PTC's low current limit in the LiIon cells, I have to use them at about 2C, so the packs are big. 3S4P of US18650 sized cells. I found that the good cells are around 0.13ohms, where as the trashed cells are anywhere up to about 0.3ohms. When cold the PTC's could be around 0.02~0.04 ohms or so, when I pulse the current at 1 amp, I should not see the impedance rise too much due to the PTC. However when I use the 10 amp pulsing, I can see the measured impedance rise within a couple seconds. The duty cycle of the pulsing is 50%. Now I have to rebuild the packs using just the good cells.
EP

PS technical comment. Don't worry about getting a low impedance fet. The op-amp control in the schematic doesn't take advantage of it, all the power drained out of the cell under test is just turned to heat. I used a surplus CPU heatsink for the FET's (2 of them) I also heatsunk the schottkey reverse voltage protection diode.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:50 PM
Joined Apr 2013
15 Posts
I found this thread whilst searching for advice on measuring battery IR. I also found this site (http://batteryuniversity.com/) and have found it to be an invaluable resource for just about anything you wish to know about batteries so I am posting it for others who happen upon this thread :0)
Experimentalist is offline Find More Posts by Experimentalist
Old May 27, 2014, 12:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
480 Posts
OHM's Law.. I E R .. build a known load get a watt meter and do the calculations yourself from one cell to how ever many you need just build it to handle whatever voltage you put in it..all known IR meters on the market to test IR in lipos say They do a estimate value not a true value..
what I described is a true value way to find out.. and dividing the total ohms by cell count dont tell you anything One cell could have 90% of the ohms you are reading MY WAY will test and your math can figure out True OHMs.. No guess work or estimated values..Yes the Truth hurts so .LOL
tntpoof is offline Find More Posts by tntpoof
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 28, 2014, 09:01 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,732 Posts
"Alls I know" is that cell IR values go up with pack use/abuse. When a pack is near it's end of full useful life, values will be up and quite uneven per cell.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jun 15, 2014, 01:13 PM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
"Alls I know" is that cell IR values go up with pack use/abuse. When a pack is near it's end of full useful life, values will be up and quite uneven per cell.
Is there a tester available or chargers that can accurately test this?

bob
steelgtr is offline Find More Posts by steelgtr
Old Jun 15, 2014, 01:22 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2013
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelgtr View Post
Is there a tester available or chargers that can accurately test this?

bob
Most mid-high end chargers have an IR measurement feature. iChargers and Powerlabs do for sure. There is also the Wayne Giles dedicated ir meter if you really want a dedicated device.
CerealKiller159 is online now Find More Posts by CerealKiller159