HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2005, 05:27 PM
Joined Aug 2004
55 Posts
proper way to reverse a motor?

replaced the motor in my aerohawk micro heli but the blades spun backwards(gws 300h) how do fix this? you don't just reverse the leads do you? motor got really hot in 1 min. any sugestions? please help!
jonson is offline Find More Posts by jonson
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2005, 05:44 PM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
Yep, thats it
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Nov 03, 2005, 05:48 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,114 Posts
yeap reverse the motor leads...

or you can try to reverse the battery leads but i dont think thats works

PS.. thats a joke you will fry ur gear reversing battery leads
merc-blue is offline Find More Posts by merc-blue
Old Nov 03, 2005, 05:51 PM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,635 Posts
lol just fly it upside down

Like skeppley says just swap the wires round.
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Old Nov 03, 2005, 06:00 PM
Joined Aug 2004
55 Posts
thanks,is the heat thing common? stock motor didn't get that hot.
jonson is offline Find More Posts by jonson
Old Nov 03, 2005, 07:14 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
Or you can get one of these. "Flip it" mounts from Like90. Not sure if they make them anymore though...
EddieNewYork is offline Find More Posts by EddieNewYork
Old Nov 03, 2005, 07:22 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,176 Posts
Despite all the comedy genius minds you are raising a legitimate question! If the timing of the motor is neutral, just swapping the leads is all that is required. If however, the motor has advance timing, sending it in the other direction will result in reverse timing (not rocket science eh?). or vice versa.

If you do a search for Aerohawk as a poster, you should be able to locate his tips on retiming a motor. Good luck!
Tonystott is online now Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Nov 03, 2005, 07:42 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,114 Posts
oh didnt think about with with advanced timing if it has timing you cant reverse the wires.. could the ESC be reversed? som cane
merc-blue is offline Find More Posts by merc-blue
Old Nov 03, 2005, 08:41 PM
GI, Michigan
Joined Jun 2004
360 Posts
it does sound like you are retarding the motor. a lot of heat and poor performance would suggest that. You cant reverse the ESC and expect it to work. The only way to fix this is to change the timing on the motor or mounth it upside down.
Tophinater is offline Find More Posts by Tophinater
Old Nov 04, 2005, 01:01 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,176 Posts
Or, go and do the search I suggested! I wasn't blowing smoke you know! Aerohawk gave specific instructions on how to change the timing in a fixed end-bell motor

Or, you can just put up with it or buy another motor - its up to you really.
Tonystott is online now Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Nov 04, 2005, 04:06 AM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,635 Posts
Just wondering if its getting hot because its only a 300, did you have a 300 in it before? Perhaps try a 370 (more turns runs cooler) from a Hummingbird.
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Old Nov 04, 2005, 07:13 AM
KF4IVP
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2005
2,167 Posts
How about a Mega 16/15/3 w/CC 35?

Since were discussing polarity.
I have a new Mega 16/15/3 and a CC35 esc and before I wire them togeather how do you know which wire goes where on the motor since they have 3 white wires?
34Ford is offline Find More Posts by 34Ford
Old Nov 04, 2005, 07:26 AM
I'll Mace You Good!!!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
906 Posts
It makes no difference how you connect the 3 wires to a brushless motor. If it runs in reverse you can just swap any two wires around with no harm. Thats how all the manufacturers suggest doing it.
stevenkelby is offline Find More Posts by stevenkelby
Old Nov 04, 2005, 07:38 AM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonson
replaced the motor in my aerohawk micro heli but the blades spun backwards(gws 300h) how do fix this? you don't just reverse the leads do you? motor got really hot in 1 min. any sugestions? please help!
Since the motor was getting hot while running the WRONG direction,and many beleive it could be the timing, switching the leads around should run it the correct direction with the correct timing.
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Nov 04, 2005, 08:14 AM
USA, NY, Syracuse
Joined May 2005
874 Posts
I've been playing with brushed motors lately, and found a couple good links. Not all 370 motors are the same inside. I had two that came with a blade kit off ebay. They had no power at all. I noticed that running them one polarity they sounded faster then the other. To change this the best way (I read somewhere) is to loosen the backing plate and hook up an amp meter, run the motor at 3 to 5 volts and watch the amp meter on the fast polarity. Mark this down, switch polarity and adjust the backing plate again watch the amp meter as you turn it one current will go down and then back up, as it speeds up. Set it to what you marked down. I still had short flying times 1 to 2 minutes on 1600ma 7.4 lipos. So I've read that reducing the number of windings increased power I searched the web and found this link. http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/bhabbott/speed300.html I then ripped open one motor and found it had 44 windings on it, so I rewound to 30 turns. What a differance I now can hover my FP at 1/3 stick. I also have found a link on slot car motor rebuilding, that had a trick of winding two wires to get the same number of turns but twice the conductor path,more current. So I rewound the other one but haven't tried it yet. take a look here, http://www.ncphobbies.com/rewind.html
beer-man is offline Find More Posts by beer-man