SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2005, 11:06 AM
Serenity now!
W. Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Jun 2005
241 Posts
Biggest loser gets a sailplane (e.g. Blade XL, Hypnosis, or etc.)

I thought some of you out there would get a kick out of my new challenge:

I just started a diet with my wife, Weight Watchers to be specific. My wife says something like this: "If you lose 30 lbs then you should reward yourself with the sailplane you keep eyeing every night." I was shocked at her challenge. I have been looking at the Blade XL Extreme, Hypnosis, and Miraj as my top choices. I'll post my weigh-in results every time I go to Weight Watchers (every week or so). I've lost 20 lb several years ago but gained it all back. 30 lb would get me to my goal weight. It can be done!

-Chad
80SGliderDude is offline Find More Posts by 80SGliderDude
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2005, 11:13 AM
Life is Good!
Germany
Joined Apr 2005
1,200 Posts
Chad,
That's awesome. Good luck.

Tank
Tank52 is offline Find More Posts by Tank52
Old Nov 03, 2005, 11:15 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
I'm in there with ya man!! I need to lose 50lbs and that's good motivation-- besides FEELING better!! So I'll join in the loss program-- and pick out a new plane next year. Hmmmm-- Carbon Stratos 5 sounds about right!!
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Nov 03, 2005, 11:22 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,224 Posts
One of the excuses I use with my wife to get to go flying is that I go to a couple of spots that are hike-up access. She pushes me to exercise as well, so I tell her the hike will get my heart pumping. Granted, 10 or 15 minutes of hiking up hill once a week isn't that much exercise, but it's 10 or 15 minutes more than I would get otherwise.

If you have hike-up spots to fly at, you win three ways - you get to go flying, you get the exercise, and then when the weight drops off, you get the new plane!

I vote for the Blade XL Extreme, by the way. :-)
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Nov 03, 2005, 11:30 AM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,152 Posts
Chad, GO FOR IT MAN!!!!! 20 mins of cardio 3 times a week will get you there a lot faster, plus it's always good to excersize when you diet as well. Dooo eeeeeeett!!!!
Endless Sloper is online now Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
Old Nov 03, 2005, 11:41 AM
Serenity now!
W. Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Jun 2005
241 Posts
Thanks for all the support. I'm going to need it. It's those darn pastries and donuts that I can't resist.

Timmig: you can do it! I like this program because you can eat whatever you want but you have to stay within a certain calorie budget.

The Blade XL Extreme... that's what I've been leaning towards too.

Cardio... the walk to Davenport is sure tough . I'm going to start biking up the hill to work (UCSC). It's 2 miles straight up a hill into the redwoods.

-Chad
Old Nov 03, 2005, 12:18 PM
Pacifica, CA
Joined Jun 2004
424 Posts
Yo Chad,
Unless you've gained a substantial amount of weight since the last F3F(two weeks ago), I think losing thirty pounds would drastically effect your ability to stand at the top of a windy cliff.
Later
Harry

FWIW, I think the Acacia 2 is the best plane for the money right now. I am really sorry that I sold mine.
Harry S. is offline Find More Posts by Harry S.
Old Nov 03, 2005, 01:19 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,739 Posts
Hmmm....don't know little bit of ballast alway helps me to perform better
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Nov 03, 2005, 01:47 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
1,102 Posts
Good Luck Chad!
and YES, you can resist those donuts easily. When you want one, just remember the sweet plane you will get soon, AND drink 0'5L of water. This should make you not so hungry. If you still want to eat that donut, then it's another 0'5 L that goes to your stomach. It must be water!! This is an easy target, and after a few times, you will stop to think on donuts and others high sugar foods at least it worked for me
saludos,
Chets
chetosmachine is offline Find More Posts by chetosmachine
Old Nov 03, 2005, 01:50 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
1,102 Posts
and i forgot, my vote goes to the Hypnosis
saludos,
Chets
chetosmachine is offline Find More Posts by chetosmachine
Old Nov 03, 2005, 01:52 PM
ave
Wind Junkie
North Coast, Calif.
Joined Jun 2004
1,156 Posts
Wow, I wish I could do that challenge! Super easy, but it will take a few months. Unfortunately I've already done it so I don't have that much more I could lose.. maybe 10-15lbs max. I guess I could gain it back and lose it again If you want to really lose weight fast and permanently, follow this guys advice... get his "Maximum weight loss" book, really cheap: http://drmcdougall.com/ But all the info you need is on his site... just eat vegetables and starches for a few months in a 50/50 ratio or so... more veggies the faster you lose it. You can't eat any fat at all though, NONE(not even a little itsy bitsy bit)... no oil, no meat, no dairy(eggs/butter/milk/etc), and stay light on the sweets and processed food.. no cokes/white bread/etc. You got to use some creativity in preparing food. John is a really good friend of mine and his info is no gimmick, I can honestly tell you that.. The way he makes money is to offer a program for people who can't do it themselves. I'll admit, it's very tough and will change your life forever if you do it, but it's WELL worth it, I'll never go back. I was 210lbs will a rigorous excercise discipline... I dropped to 160lbs in a year while reducing my excercise!! I'm back at 170 now because I choose to eat a little "rich" from time to time. Just like anything in life, you don't get something for nothing, it does take an amazing will and ability to change to do it. Good Luck which ever way to go, nothing bad about being healthier! ... or getting a new plane!

ave-
ave is offline Find More Posts by ave
Old Nov 03, 2005, 02:59 PM
iWeasel
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2005
1,096 Posts
Let's start a contest thread!
jludwick is offline Find More Posts by jludwick
Old Nov 03, 2005, 03:48 PM
USA, CO, Lakewood
Joined Sep 2002
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry S.
FWIW, I think the Acacia 2 is the best plane for the money right now. I am really sorry that I sold mine.
Why do you say that, Harry?

Joe
JoeSantora is offline Find More Posts by JoeSantora
Old Nov 03, 2005, 03:50 PM
Serenity now!
W. Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Jun 2005
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry S.
Yo Chad,
Unless you've gained a substantial amount of weight since the last F3F(two weeks ago), I think losing thirty pounds would drastically effect your ability to stand at the top of a windy cliff.
Later
Harry

Too funny Harry! Davenport get's pretty darn windy. I'll have to ballast my shoes

So the Acacia 2? Most of my flying is sport and now an ocassional F3F race with you guys at NorCalF3F. How does the Acacia stand up to normal sport slope soaring?

It's funny, but my wife likes planes with X tails. She thinks all planes with V tails are the same and would be sad if I got another V tail. That is why I would go Hypnosis 2.2. I am open to suggestions.

-Chad
Old Nov 03, 2005, 04:03 PM
Serenity now!
W. Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Jun 2005
241 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I like Chet's water drinking trick. Veggies too are something I need to stock up on. Good job Ave on losing the pounds and keeping it off. I'll check out that website you suggested.

Jludwick: are you suggesting a lose weight contest? That could get scary. How about a support thread? My approach to this whole thing is to view it as a lifestyle change. That is the hardest thing to do. This reward is exactly what I need right now to keep me on track.

Cheers everyone!

Chad