HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2002, 04:28 PM
Green Member
NJ
Joined Mar 2002
788 Posts
About to cover the wings on my Switchback, any tips?

Almost finished....I just need to cover the wings and tail surfaces with Solite. The solite instructions are pretty bad. This is my first time covering, is there anything i should know? Where do I start? I assume the bottom of the wing. Should I use one whole piece for each bottom then another piece for the top overlapping the bottom? and do I do the same for the tail pieces? How bout' the wing tips? I was thinking about cutting a seperate piece for them and tack it on the top and bottom of the outer rib, then shrink to form around the tip?is that correct? How do ya do this? any help would be appreciated......I already covered the fuse and boy was that a pain. took a few hours. The kit went together so easy and the frame looks awesome. I hate to screw up the looks with a bad covering job.

Joe
FX1SUB is offline Find More Posts by FX1SUB
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2002, 05:01 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
You can cover the wing sides with a single piece. Tack the center first, then the far corners. The SoLite will shrink so much that you can do the wingtips fairly easily. You tack the ends then lightly pull the center and tack. Pulling the covering even as you go, work towards the front and the back of the wingtips.

If you've done the fuse already, you know what temp to set your iron.

If you haven't discovered this, the easiest way to remove the backing is to place a piece of scotch tape of both sides of the covering and pul them apart.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old May 22, 2002, 05:52 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
Sorry in advance, I know these are newbie questions but....

Once tacked, do you run your iron over each rib and spar or just main edges? Also, do you overlap for top and bottom pieces at leading edge, trailing edge and wing tip? If so how much (Ie do you go all the way around the leading edge and trim)?
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old May 22, 2002, 06:00 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
rclark,

These are very good questions. I should also mention that I'm pretty mediocre coverer. I like to overlap ~1/8". I should try putting a sock on the iron because when I slide the iron to tack the edges, the covering pulls a little. I end up pressing down the iron then lift and move it over a step.

I don't usually tack to all the ribs but that might just be me being lazy. What I like about the adhesive types of coverings is that if you damage something, you can tack down the closest rib and just remove the damaged covering and lay a patch over the area you removed. I could never do that with Reynolds Wrap.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old May 23, 2002, 12:07 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CoClimber
If you haven't discovered this, the easiest way to remove the backing is to place a piece of scotch tape of both sides of the covering and pul them apart.

Doug
Doug, once again you prove to be my hero! I never thought of trying that trick. Thank you!
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter