HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2005, 03:48 PM
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jun 2005
62 Posts
My scrappy weighs in at a hefty 11oz with a 3s1320TP prolite and a Himax 2015-4100.

Flies great with a cut down 3.5" prop, pulled 18A and fried my CC10 though Melted all the solder off the board lol.

I usually launch with power on - just my habit.
up2l8 is offline Find More Posts by up2l8
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2005, 08:31 PM
Joined Jul 2004
254 Posts
I launch my Scrappy like this. Grab the left wing, semicircle behind you and a back hand frsbee toss. Launch at about the angle in the photo with about 30% power. A few clicks of up trim will help too. You have great control of pitch angle at launch with this method. Good luck

Robert
rdw777 is offline Find More Posts by rdw777
Old Nov 02, 2005, 09:48 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,488 Posts
Okay guys , I flew it ten feet today into the fence.

I only got about ten feet before I hit the fence. I am sure that tomorrow it will fly nicely. I have to get some props tomorrow any suggestions other than a 3X3 and 4X4.

Thanks again for your help I will let you guys know tomorrow about how it worked out.
DoctorAudio is online now Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Nov 03, 2005, 01:49 PM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
Here's my setup. I'm not sure about drooping the front verses the back--the way I do it is to have the winglet level with the front and then have the back droop as far as the lowest deflection of the elevon. This seems to work pretty well for me. Here's a sketch and some pics.

Looks like you're coming along with this thing. You will fly her, oh yes, you will.
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
Old Nov 03, 2005, 02:45 PM
Robots... robots everywhere
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
heres how i setup my winglets:
minifly is offline Find More Posts by minifly
Old Nov 04, 2005, 01:06 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,488 Posts
I coul not find any 3X3 props , so I bought the closest thing a 3X2 prop. bought 4 of them.
Old Nov 04, 2005, 01:08 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,488 Posts
Tomorrow , God is going to let me fly.
Old Nov 04, 2005, 01:32 AM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
I ran some calculations into Motocalc, and according to that, you may have to chuck that thing pretty hard in order to get enough airspeed for that prop to be effective. In other words, a 4.5x3 would be more ideal if you can find any of those.

I'd be interested in hearing how those 3x2's work if you do get a good flight in. If it doesn't work right, try out the 4.5x3 that I mentioned and I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. Don't take my sole word on that though, I've been wrong before.
Old Nov 04, 2005, 02:58 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,488 Posts
Can you tell me what prop keeps this thing under 8 amps?
Old Nov 04, 2005, 03:06 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Hard to say since no one really runs this motor Direct Drive. I would say get the 4040 prop and give her a throw I'm pretty sure you will stay below 10A at least. Btw, what Brushless ESC are you using?
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Nov 05, 2005, 01:50 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey C.
I ran some calculations into Motocalc, and according to that, you may have to chuck that thing pretty hard in order to get enough airspeed for that prop to be effective. In other words, a 4.5x3 would be more ideal if you can find any of those.

I'd be interested in hearing how those 3x2's work if you do get a good flight in. If it doesn't work right, try out the 4.5x3 that I mentioned and I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. Don't take my sole word on that though, I've been wrong before.
Well mike I can tell you this it is fast I would say about 70mph, I got up to that speed. It was awesome fly at them speeds again with something so little.
It axial rolls nicely, then the motor cut off.

I thought man that was quick. I was thinking how, I was going to get a bigger abttery in this thing. I was so high up it just was gliding down to the ground. I know not to give it to much elevator. Well, I sort of landed it. Hahahahahaha!

Hit the ground in to fast and broke the popsicle stick under it. But then I smelled something burning. Well the ESc is smoked. The TMM 08e-3ph is dead and burried in the one day I will fixx box. I may fix it later, someday.

With the 3X2 prop I am running 7.7 amps on a 3 cell. I thought I had plenty of room using a 2 Cell and only pulling 5.7 amps. It is dead so it really does not matter so back to the darn drawing board.
I can say it was faster than I thought it would be. Now I am trying to figure out what to do next, maybe a CC Thunderbird 9 or 18 Batterys handles max 15 Amps. so some thing that can do that maybe nice.

I think I am taking it to the LHS with me to find out what prop is under 9 amps maybe the Thunderbird 9 can handle.

So that is where I am at now. It was so fast and agile, I was amased for sure.

Thanks guys for your help.
Old Nov 05, 2005, 02:59 PM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
No problem.. I just realized that forgot to take into account you weren't using the stock Scrappy motor, so you can ignore my previous post. Glad you finally got her into the air.
Old Nov 05, 2005, 04:03 PM
Robots... robots everywhere
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
rule of thumb: always over amp-rate and under prop

other rule of thumb: hindsight is good, but foresight is a good sight better

ah well, good luck on getting it back in the air again...
minifly is offline Find More Posts by minifly
Old Nov 05, 2005, 04:23 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
great rule of thumb:
bench test your power system before flying it

outcome:
it will save you many $$$ in batteries and ESC's!!!
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Nov 07, 2005, 06:53 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_boy99
great rule of thumb:
bench test your power system before flying it

outcome:
it will save you many $$$ in batteries and ESC's!!!
All of you are rite in those cases , but I test everything on the watt metter. I have too, at 45 bucks and up, it can make the wife hid your stuff in the storage unit again. Hahahahah,. You think that is funny? Well noway.

Okay on to the good stuff

I went and bought a Thunderbird 9 and it works great. With a 3X2 prop I am running about 7.2 amps. Waiting on more props to come in. I special ordered some GWS Direct Drive EP4025 & EP4040 props.We will have to test those out to see where is the power and speed. Plus have to remember that the Batts are 15 amps max.

Did say the a 4.5X4.1 runs in at 15.6 amps under this motor. WOW.
Anyway I took that off quickly.