HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2005, 08:43 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,367 Posts
Doctor Audio's Scrappy Wing , I can't get this thing to fly.

Okay people, I have two of these things.
I bought them both so me and my Daughter could combat fight with them.
But I don't know how to launch it, is one problem.
This is what I have maybe you guys can help me.
1 Scrappy wing kit NIB
2 Cirrus 9gram servos
1 GWS MRX-4 4 channel receiver
1 TMM 08e-3PH ESC
1 Feigao 1308422S Max amps 10
1 little red propthe number is a 102 on it.
TP1320 3S1P and a 910Mah Kokam 3S1p 15C

What is the weight this thing should be to fly it?
Am I useing the right prop. I know I may need to get a new ESC for running a 3S pack.
I think it wieghs 5.37 oz with the rec and servos in it.
the ESC is .58oz
Motor and prop 1.61oz
TP1320 2.17oz
Is this high?

Please help guys I am on my last nerve.
DoctorAudio is online now Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2005, 10:50 PM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
My scrappy is about 8 oz. with a 2s 1200mAh LiPo and flies great. I had to put 1 quarter and 7 pennies in the battery bay in order to balance it according to the CoG on the plans.

The launch is tricky to explain, but take the wing in your main hand (Mine is right) and splay your fingers underneath with your thumb on the LE. Power up and use your fingertips to propell the wing forward, preferabley upwards a little bit. Here are some pics that I hope help you out a little bit. This wing is really twitchy, but quite stable if you don't go crazy with the sticks.

Ignore the dangling motor; the zip tie broke while I was reaquanting myself with how to throw it properly just now
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
Old Nov 01, 2005, 10:55 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,367 Posts
Thanks on the lesson that help that problrm out. Thanks. I am in the middle of trying to remove some wieght and making stronger but less weight.
Old Nov 01, 2005, 11:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Dr...I have also found hand launching to be a bit tricky..but to solve it..a took a piece of small epp foam and glued it to the bottom of my wing..around where the motor mount was..but just a bit forward of it...this gave me something to actually hold onto firmly with my thumb and middle finger..while allowing me to place my index finger behind the wing itself..giving me xtra thrust during my hand launch with the motor off...wings can be a bit tricky to get trimmed correctly and finding the perfect C.G..just keep in mind..if its not flying..there is something wrong..for my mini wing I need a little bit of up in both elevons..with the right elevon having to be a bit higher then the left to counteract the spinning of the prop..dont forget your prop should be on with the letters facing the motor..
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Nov 02, 2005, 12:48 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,367 Posts
Thanks, does anyone know if I am useing the best prop for this motor?
Old Nov 02, 2005, 01:11 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Also, make sure the prop is on the right way. Alot of handlaunching problems stem from having the prop on backwards.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Nov 02, 2005, 01:24 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
I'd say if you can get her AUW(all up weight) at around 8oz for this little wing then you are doing just fine. Hand launching takes practice and even I sometimes take two throws to get her in the air. If you have the wing trimmed right and the battery placed nicely for a good CoG then when you throw the wing it should glide fairly flat for awhile. Then apply power and off you go!!!

I got some data here:
http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/doc/f...ThrustData.htm
although this motor is setup mostly for geared applications it does have an upper end of 10A. So I would start out with a 3030 GWS prop and a 4040 GWS prop and see what kind of amp draws you get on 2S lipos below 1200mah. Definately keep her below 10A for all tests.
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Nov 02, 2005, 01:51 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,367 Posts
I knew I was asking in the rite place,what about the winglets do they have to be sticking below the wing or can they be level. Where do you guys have yours?
thanks again.
Old Nov 02, 2005, 01:59 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Both will work, but you will get better performance if they go below it.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Nov 02, 2005, 11:05 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,367 Posts
Thanks, now how far below is best?
Old Nov 02, 2005, 11:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
yes this is info I ma also interested in knowing..I have a 16" mini wing and was wondering if there is a specific formula used for calculating how far below the wing the winglets should be for best performance..is it a percentage of how many inches the winglets extend above the wing??
Old Nov 02, 2005, 11:55 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,367 Posts
That is a great question, wish I asked it like that?
Old Nov 02, 2005, 01:01 PM
Robots... robots everywhere
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
i have found that about 1/3 below, 2/3 above gives you the best combination of stability/tip stall protection.

also, if you move your winglets back so that the fronts of them are about 1/2 way back along the tip, i have found that it helps tip-stall and stability even more.
minifly is offline Find More Posts by minifly
Old Nov 02, 2005, 01:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
so instead of lining up the fron of the winglet with the front of the wing edge ..start with the winglet at 1/2 way back of the wing?..so that the front half protion of the wing doesnt have any winglet at all??/...wow.thats interesting..I wonder if this holds true for all wings..whether they are 16" or 72"...someone just pointed out to me though...that having the winglets extending below the wing..may cause problems during landings..in that the winglets will now come in contact with the ground on each and every landing..possibly resulting in them beign torn off eventually...any comments on this/?/
Old Nov 02, 2005, 01:50 PM
Robots... robots everywhere
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
Quote:
so instead of lining up the fron of the winglet with the front of the wing edge ..start with the winglet at 1/2 way back of the wing?..so that the front half portion of the wing doesnt have any winglet at all??
correct. works great.

Quote:
the winglets will now come in contact with the ground on each and every landing..possibly resulting in them beign torn off eventually
i've never had any problems of this nature, but i land on grass so that might just be me. landing on asphalt might get a bit rough...
minifly is offline Find More Posts by minifly