HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2001, 02:40 PM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
Flying Styro P-51D Mustang r/c conversion,anyone successful?

Love to know if anyone has converted this model to r/c with any results,if so,what gear/ motor are you using?
Cheers,Matt.
bipeflyer is offline Find More Posts by bipeflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2001, 03:31 PM
CMFC Secretary (UK)
Swindon, UK
Joined Oct 2000
309 Posts
Nope - but I am almost finished converting their f4 corsair into 3 channel R/c.

GWS deluxe motor and gearbox, 8 110mAh cells, GWS speed controller, twin Hitec HS-55 servos, Fubata R123FA-35 receiver.

( Yes I know the rx is a bit big, but it is good and is alsofor use OUTDOORS. )

BioHazard is offline Find More Posts by BioHazard
Old May 16, 2001, 05:47 PM
mercer Island
Joined Apr 2001
120 Posts
do u have a link to the corsiar? how much is it and where can i buy one? also how fast is it compiare to the light stik with the GWS motor?

[This message has been edited by cheapflyr (edited 05-16-2001).]
cheapflyr is offline Find More Posts by cheapflyr
Old May 17, 2001, 07:05 PM
CMFC Secretary (UK)
Swindon, UK
Joined Oct 2000
309 Posts
Obviously great minds think alike...

For my motor mount, I used two 5mm hardwood spares across (span wise ) across the cowling. The GWS gears box is CA'd to this, so the prop is central to the cowl. I have introduced a few degrees down thrust, as well as a bit of side thrust to compensate for the torque effect. I have deliberately kept the motor mount / gearbox connection as a weak point, as my model will be flown without undercarriage. I don't mind saving my model from damage, if it means I have to re-attach the motor every time.

My wing removal was a nightmare. I ended up cuttiny away the under wing pan belly, and mounting the wings. My moulding was faulty, as it gave the wings some 15 degrees mounting away from the horizontal. I shaved away the foam from one side until the wings were level. I then glued them on with the supplied adhesive, and when dry I placed the wooden strengtheners along their tops. ( I ditch the supplied ones and made my own out of super leight 1/8 balsa, with lots of lightening holes.

The bottom of my engine cowl was cut away and made into a semi hatch, kept in place during flight by a closed loop rubber band, attached to one of the wooden engine mount spars.

I have the whole circle at the front of the plane cut away for cooling, as well as a couple of soft-bore holes in the underneith of the rear of the fuselage to aid airflow. It may be a more draggy version, but the WS motors are prone to overheating on 8 cells. I have only flown with the indoor orange prop so far, but i intend to use the three bladed prop provided when I get around to reaming it properly.

I'll keep you updated with photos as soon as poss.

Old May 18, 2001, 12:33 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BioHazard:
Nope - but I am almost finished converting their f4 corsair into 3 channel R/c.

GWS deluxe motor and gearbox, 8 110mAh cells, GWS speed controller, twin Hitec HS-55 servos, Fubata R123FA-35 receiver.

( Yes I know the rx is a bit big, but it is good and is alsofor use OUTDOORS. )
BioHazard,

I'm part way converting my F4U Corsair similar to you (GWS Delux motor, GWS receiver, Pico servos, 7x300ma NiCD)

I'm interested in what you had to do for your conversion. Did you make the wing removal? How? What did you do about the linkages to the rudder/elevator? (Looks like I have to trim the elevator quite a lot to clear the bottom of the fuz). How did you mount the motor? What about motor cooling? Have you made access to the motor, so that it can be replaced. I'd like to know (when you fly it) if the GWS has enough power, does it suffer from torque effect etc! I'm intending mine for outside as well!
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old May 31, 2001, 12:51 AM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Dec 2000
82 Posts
BioHazard, how is the Flying Styro Corsair RC project going? I have a Flying Styro Corsair on its way any day now and am looking to convert it to RC as well. Any pics and info (especially flight performance) would be appreciated.
Stormbringer is offline Find More Posts by Stormbringer
Old May 31, 2001, 08:27 AM
Sandston Va USA
Joined Mar 2001
294 Posts
I have just finished a Herr P51D mustang that is a FF plane and converted it to rc. It has a 28 inch wingspan and I'm using a GWS motor in it. Weight is 7 oz with Lithium Ion batteries in it and it does very well,very stable. I have a GWS-c in it now but doesnt have very much power so Im about ready to put a GWS-a in it to get a little more speed out of it. Will let you know how this combo works after a few flights.
busheadfox is offline Find More Posts by busheadfox
Old Jun 01, 2001, 12:07 AM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,883 Posts
I would be surprised if the GWS geared set up works as well as a direct drive. The big prop carries torque problems. I hope you make it work and tell us how
I converted a ME-109 from FSM http://phreak.mine.nu/drblott/RadioControlProjects.htm
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy
Old Jun 04, 2001, 09:48 PM
Sandston Va USA
Joined Mar 2001
294 Posts
Any suggestions on a direct drive motor for this p51 mustang. Plane and radio without motor and battery weights only 4 oz.
busheadfox is offline Find More Posts by busheadfox
Old Jun 04, 2001, 10:11 PM
Strange Plane Central
Joined Dec 2000
1,883 Posts
S280 with a 5 x 2 prop has worked on others

S280 using the gunther push on prop with 6 cells (lower weight)looks like it would work on paper

busheadfox what prop are you using?
Old Jul 25, 2001, 03:21 AM
CMFC Secretary (UK)
Swindon, UK
Joined Oct 2000
309 Posts
For all those who asked -

Flight performance - fair. Does need more power. I am flying with the 10" indoor orange prop designed for the GWS A motors and 8 cells.

I ditched the idea of ailerons and installed tailerons instead. I know it isn't scale, but it was the only way of doing it without adding weight or external pushrods.

The tailerons hinge as per the elevator hinge depression in the foam, but with 60 degree up and down deflection. (And after I had gone to all that trouble chopping up the tail to fit a joining spar between both sides before choosing to use tailerons )

A my new website will be online within the next 3 weeks ( I'm moving hosts and having to re-register both my company and personal domains across ). I'll have building photos and first flight footage on there if anyone is truely interested.
Old Jul 25, 2001, 03:27 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,492 Posts
I built this plane for Electric RC.

On my first attempt I used a GWS gear system (throttle, rudder and elevator); too much torque and not enough speed = crash.

Second attempt (throttle, ailerons and elevator) with a new plane: direct drive speed 280 with a small prop. Successful but difficult and erratic to fly.

No fun for me and currently for sale.
For a photo see my website: http://www3.sympatico.ca/m.rogozinsky/homepage.html
and press the planes for sale link.
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Jul 25, 2001, 04:13 PM
Strange Plane Central
Joined Dec 2000
1,883 Posts
The new low ratio GWS gearboxes and motor maybe workable (S1 & S2)
Old Jul 25, 2001, 04:25 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Michael, which prop and battery pack did you use on your S280?
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Jul 25, 2001, 04:26 PM
CMFC Secretary (UK)
Swindon, UK
Joined Oct 2000
309 Posts
For the record - it is NOT the standard litestick motor. That is the inferior GWS B or more likely C motor.

The B's were the initial batch of Mini IFO motors, but they now come with the A motor, the one I am using for the Corsair.