Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 03, 2005, 06:43 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
I don't own any wind meters, that is why. The cheapest meter at the time of my "purchase search" was $100 and it just wasn't worth the static measurement it would provide. The only hobby data recorder that even has that option is an Eagle Tree system at $300+.

Running a doppler program on a live flight plane will give the best (most important?) reading. All else is academic with the huge amounts of variables one would encounter from plane to plane.

I do see the usefullness to some users knowing their efflux speed. It would be really cool to have a chart that shows the relationship between the fans thrust to efflux. Unfortunately, that altruistic desire just isn't an option for me with my hobby dollars.

Justin

16/7/5 on 4s

16/7/5 on 5s peak

16/7/5 on 5s peak
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2005, 07:57 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,490 Posts
Great stuff Justin - though too much power for me...
You're really using that screen capture !

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Nov 03, 2005, 10:01 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
I wasn't too happy with the output of the /5 on 5s. But if you look at the chart, the /5 was the most efficient of all setups when it was run on 4s. Too bad it didn't even come close in power to the other "big dog" setups. I'm charging up my 1320PL's to try on 4s to see if they hold up to the G2 2p stuff "just to see".

Is there any combination that I missed or that somebody would like to see in another configuration? It would be at least a week before I could orader any other motors. I really think we have a selection of the best stuff presented here, but there is always something else....

Justin
Old Nov 03, 2005, 10:18 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,212 Posts
Hi Justin, yes lets play with setups and see if we can rip the wings off!! any body got a video cam. What do you have for battery sets, The huck doesnt have a lot of room under the canopy.My 3s 1500 just makes it.width is the problem .lots of length to play with. what is a good time for you? I am available sat and sun!
Scott
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Nov 03, 2005, 10:46 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,212 Posts
The Himax is looking pretty good with 4p2s 1800. the amps are not bad so I dont need to worry about starting any fires. That gives me a 1 to 1 thrust to weight.The huck also has a straight intake and exst tube.Need to check the exit dia.?
Scott
Old Nov 03, 2005, 11:35 PM
Morro Bay, Ca.
Joined Jul 2005
166 Posts
Hey just curious does anybody have information on the brushless motor hobby lobby recomends for that Alpha F-86 ? I got mine two weeks ago I have the 4200-- 5300 but still not sure what direction to go yet ? alot of information still being posted Thanks.
EAGLESTRIKE 1 is offline Find More Posts by EAGLESTRIKE 1
Last edited by EAGLESTRIKE 1; Nov 04, 2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2005, 11:42 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,084 Posts
What fan would the Mig 15 have in it if you ordered from Hobby Lobby today? The Mk2 or Mk1? Or, is the Mk2 an aftermarket add on?

And, as far as how the Megas are working in the model in flight, has anyone had any good flight testing yet?

This is an interesting thread even though I don't own an Alfa (yet??)
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2005, 11:56 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P
What fan would the Mig 15 have in it if you ordered from Hobby Lobby today? The Mk2 or Mk1? Or, is the Mk2 an aftermarket add on?
I have both the mig & F-86 from HL. Both came w/mk2s.
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Old Nov 04, 2005, 12:29 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,212 Posts
Bmiller, we need to meet up with Justin and test out some of the systems in planes.we have all of alfas jets.Should make for some fun work???
Scott
Old Nov 04, 2005, 01:05 AM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
Near the end of the Huckebein run they switched to Mk2. All fans are now Mk2. I bought a bunch of Mk1's as I did not know that they were any differences. In fact, Hobby-lobby shows the Alfa fan on their site (#1501) which is the Mk1 part number. Called, and they say they only carry the Mk2's, and that is the "correct" number for them. That's not what www.alfamodel.cz says.

Scott- I have a video camera. I made my (2) 2s TP PL 1320's wired to 4s tonight. They hold their voltage about as good as the Gen2 does going from 1p to 2p in my tests.
For fitment:
4s PQ1800, 4"x1.125"x1" @5.5 or
4s TP PL's-2.5"x1.25"x1" @ 4.2oz's (can be 2.5"x.65"x1" per pack)

PM with your ESC, plugs and other info so I can make sure it is ready for "drop in" fitment.

Bruce- Your welcome to try some too if you wanted to schedule with Scott. I'm on "vacation" right now so my days are pretty free to work around your schedules.

Eagle strike-What lipo packs do you have now? If I had to choose between the 2025-4200 and 5300 I would go with the 4200 on 4s. You "should" use a ParkBEC which is another 6 grams and $20 to save yoru ESC form heating too much supplying juice for the servo on high voltage input. You will be saving 20grams and ~$10 by going with (2) 2s 1320 TP ProLite's rated for 17A continuous/27A burst over a single
3s 2100 TP ProLite pack rated for 33A continuous and 50A burst for the 5300. You can run an 18A ESC if your into saving weight, just adventurous, or cheap like me. A 25A ESC would work but is definetely needed for 5300 on 3s (21-23A draw). Offer is open to you also to try something out.

I would love to see some of the birds fly in person.

Justin
Old Nov 04, 2005, 02:43 AM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
Bmiller, we need to meet up with Justin and test out some of the systems in planes.we have all of alfas jets.Should make for some fun work???
Scott
Thanks for the offer Scott & Justin, but for now my thumbs are still too rusty after my 2-3years absence and I'd probably turn it into a lawndart!
The rust is coming off pretty quickly but I'm not there yet. There's a great flyer at my field(Herb)that I always conscript/coerce/blackmail to maiden my planes so I think I'll try the 2025/5300 w/TP prolite 4s2100 15C continous(24C burst) and let him tear it up!
My F-86 is finished ex/stickers so I just gotta pick this battery up.
I don't remember if anyone has tried 4s w/ the 5300? I have a e-flite meter for amp/volts/watts but no tach so I'll record all I can and post it.
Bruce
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Old Nov 04, 2005, 04:03 AM
Model Designer
Joined Apr 2001
5,490 Posts
Work ?

Quote:
turbonut said
Hahahahaha... Some WORK !

Keven.
Old Nov 04, 2005, 09:22 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,212 Posts
Justin, I am in!! I will get all the info for you after work tonite. I have deans connectors on my batt. forget what esc. CC i think? I will PM with my phone number.
Scott
Old Nov 04, 2005, 11:51 AM
Renaud Ecalle Wannabe
Idaho
Joined Oct 2003
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P

And, as far as how the Megas are working in the model in flight, has anyone had any good flight testing yet?

THO98027 has been using the mega 16/7/3 with 3s prolite 2100's in his sabre for the past few months and has reported great results. I can't imagine 4s with this motor but Justin's numbers show it to be the ultimate setup for now . If I had the funds, time, and well, balls for that matter, this would be the route I would go.
spit is offline Find More Posts by spit
Old Nov 04, 2005, 12:42 PM
Model Designer
Joined Apr 2001
5,490 Posts
Aww c'mon...

Quote:
Eddie P said
This is an interesting thread - PERIOD !

Keven.