HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:12 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Sorry! It was a late nite last night! Winds suck!!!
No wind here so I'm going to my field now. Give me a call if you decide to drive over here. (It's a 1 hour drive though)
Bruce
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2006, 06:51 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Mixed results...

I'm back from flying and it was ridiculously fast with insane vertical power.
The first flight had no inflight cutouts and I flew the crap out of it! I would come in level with min throttle and go vertical and as it started to stall, hit WOT and accelerate to 500 feet straight up! So much thrust!
The 4S pack was super hot afterward so I got concerned about the ampdraw and put my meter on it with a 3S pack.
Results: 3S = 42amps! 450watts!
I flew with 3S and it would cutout at WOT as the pack was unable to sustain that high of a draw. 1/2 throttle is 26amps.
Still no burning electrical smells present so after recharging the 4S pack I put the meter on that. Now it started to cutout at WOT after a couple seconds but I was able to get a reading on it.
4S = 44A 600watts!
So either thats what it draws or I smoked the Mega!
I think all I can do to confirm if the motors bad is put an alfa rotor back on it and see what it draws......
Bruce
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:15 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
If the Mega was hurt, it would pull more amps than norm. Was it making more thrust on 4s? Could be something slipping if not.

Justin
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:35 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccobro
If the Mega was hurt, it would pull more amps than norm. Was it making more thrust on 4s? Could be something slipping if not.

Justin
Thats the problem...I don't know what normal is with this Kyosho rotor setup.
I'm kicking myself! I should have run a quick amp test BEFORE flying it!
Definitely alot more thrust on 4S vs 3S. If the rotor was slipping the amps would go down along with thrust so thats not the case....
Hopefully the motors okay and its just a case of too high a kv in this application. Scotts 16/15/3 on 4 or 5S should be a much better power package if the walkura rotor is similar to the kyosho.
I wish you guys had been there for the first flight though...
The thrust is unbelievable!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:15 PM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,447 Posts
Bruce,
I know you have mentioned what airframe youi're using for these tests but I forgot. What mods to airframe have you made? Or just redirect me to the answers.
Thanks,
Neal
Nobert is online now Find More Posts by Nobert
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:59 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Hi Neal, On the F-86 I ran some 2" wide cleartape on the bottom seam of the wing joint under the plastic bottom cover.(I do this on all my models) No other mods!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2006, 03:17 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
6,995 Posts
Hi guys, Bruce that is some big numbers!!! did you get any Vid...I am still up for next week..I may put the f86 together so we can do a side by side comparison...I you must have a lot more pitch on your rotor to pull those amps..the highest I read was just over 30.. watt peaked near 500 but dropped very fast.Maybe if I used 2100 packs it will hold higher nubers.what batteries did you use?
Scott
PS I worked last week end at the race track next to nellis AFB in vegas..Friday they had a lot of cool stuff flying..f22, predator uav,f111, a10,awacs,even a nimrod.Must have been some kind of red flag for all the foreign stuff to be there.
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Feb 13, 2006, 05:49 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
*sigh* My first and second true loves all at on location. Would have been bliss to be there with you Scott.

Justin
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
Old Feb 13, 2006, 07:35 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,290 Posts
Do you guys need some private time?? LOL

Nice way to mix in some jets to keep things sort of on topic...lol very cool pics, awesome 998?, hard to tell what base model it was.

No maiden for me on Sun. I wasnt in the right head space or something, just didnt feel like going up. Everybody there had some sort of maiden to try and there was so much traffic I wasnt up for it.

Now, its snowing.......DOHH!

Chris
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Feb 13, 2006, 09:32 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Aww Chris you missed your window of opportunity!
No vid on my flight, only a few people out there...
Scott,
The numbers are so high I'm wondering if I shorted the Mega!
It's a royal pain to swap the rotor out to a alfa rotor to check ampdraw....
I'm using a 4S Impulse 2100 pack and 3S Apex2200s. The impulse is only rated to 33A continous, so I'm hurting my packs, it'll be 7ozs more if I 4S2P it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:53 AM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
So I'm thinking if the motor is still good(which it probably is)
I should cutdown one of my minifan rotors since it has a bigger hub and I would end up with essentially less blade area(less FSA?)and bring the ampdraw down to a tolerable level.....
Bruce
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2006, 12:08 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,290 Posts
Sounds good, but you hope the weight gain is offset by the performance too otherwise your just spinning up a rotor for the sake of using that motor.

I was looking at the PL 1320's in the store this weekend and just thinking about my fans and stuff. They had two packs 2S but the numbers dont add up, so close I was tempted. There where also Apogee's enough to make 5S but the 14C rating is too low and too heavy.

Chris
Old Feb 14, 2006, 12:48 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
I don't want to go any heavier Chris,
Flight characteristics are great now and it lands fast enough as it is!
Also I don't want to cook another motor or melt down my lipos!
PQs? How about those 20C flightpower EVO cells?

Bruce
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2006, 01:55 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
6,995 Posts
Flight Power and Hyperion both make a 1500 20c 30c burst pack. 45amps should cover what you need...Why doesnt tp make a 1500 anymore?..I deside to set up the f86 with the big motor and fan..So I have two jets to fly next weekend...That way when the wings fall off I can still fly something.
Scott
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Feb 14, 2006, 03:50 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,290 Posts
Yeah no doubt, good planning!

Chris