SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:47 AM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,916 Posts
Anyone try a hot wound outrunner in an Alfa fan?
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2006, 05:54 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,350 Posts
I have seen an outrunner used on on an RK fan. I think it was an AXI 2212-26, which I happen a to have a 2212-20 motor sitting around.
Their website shows the fan and motor and details.
http://kress-jets.com/outrunner.htm
Looks intresting.

Chris
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Last edited by C of G; Jan 14, 2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 06:56 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
IIRC, from one of the threads here it's operating range is under 30k.

I did have some CD motors for my EDF-50's that spun over 50k. I'm sure it would be easy to make a double to suit this fan perfectly. Just who is going to make a one off for testing? I tried this for EDF-55's and WPF's to great success but my conclusion is that one man's goals are anothers starting point. And on which rotor????

The main motivators in this thread right now are going for a speed goal. Most other alfa users are looking for the perfect compromise with minimal thought process. With most lipo users limiting themselves to 3s, the 2025-5300 is pretty good and not much else compares. 4s+ is still being tracked down.

Justin
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
Old Jan 14, 2006, 07:04 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,350 Posts
I'm just waiting for good weather now. First the maiden then the speed runs. I was skiing today in the rain/snow/slush, came home soaked to the bone. They say Sunday is going to be more clear,.... yeah right.

Trouble with 4S is space, for me anyway. The batteries I can use wont fit but the batteries I cant use will fit. Sux. I'm thinking or removing the battery/radio tray from the F-86 and lowering it so I can use the right packs. Dangerous work though, I could wreck the foam.

Chris
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:50 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Hello! It rained today so it was a perfect time to go to the AMA show!
My wallet got its butt kicked!
Got some stuff to play with now!
2 wemo mini480 units 1 of them with an astro020 in it!
a phx castle link cable so I can play with the ESCs on the computer.
And (you'll like this)a Neu 1105/2Y motor.
Efficiency is over 85%, 5200kv,30Amp rating, 4pole motor.
Now I have to debond the mega/2!
but 1st I have to test the mega/2 again. I talked at length with a castle creations rep(formerly in tech support)and he said I shouldn't be even close to having a timing problem w/ 6 poles so he gave me a couple things to try, softest cutoff and disable current limiting. also said changing frequency would do nothing.
The wemo rotor hub is larger than the alfa like Turbonut said so I'll be using the kyosho rotor for testing.
Bruce
ps Chris, you can remove the bottom of the cockpit for more room.
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:01 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Heres a pic of what I got.
Last edited by bmiller; Jul 06, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:49 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
Lotsa goodies!!

Justin
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:42 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,350 Posts
I was looking at that motor, isnt it too large in daimeter to fit?

Do you remember his name?
I can believe it would do nothing as he said since it would not work at all for me until I changed the setting. In the end after the software update to both the Castle Link and the ESC it does work but I have yet to return the Freq. setting back to the original default. I still want to do some more runs on the bench and I'll see if its true.

Chris
Old Jan 15, 2006, 01:28 AM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
I guess you're right Chris, The can is slightly larger than the mega and I don't think I can machine the tube any larger than it already is...I'll have to put it in the mini480 or something like the entire stator assembly from the 480 into the alfa, we'll see.
The guys name was Shawn, said he turns a 28pole motor at 30,000rpm! Said he used to be in tech support or something. I had asked him if changing the frequency would help my cutting out problems around 60,000rpm and he said nope! I think you were experiencing a different problem than mine as I had full ampflow all the time.
I found my WPF cutdown kyosho rotor at least now I can try that!.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 09:24 AM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,473 Posts
He is Shawn Palmer. Great guy.
Nobert is offline Find More Posts by Nobert
Old Jan 15, 2006, 02:27 PM
Bishops Stortford, UK
Joined Dec 2005
157 Posts
Hi Guys,
Had an interesting Sunday afternoon reading your thread.
I'm messing around with the Mig fitted with a Mini AC 1215/12 and a cut down Wemotec Mini fan 480 impellor with a Jeti 30 advance plus. Ran it with 3s 1750mah and got a good flight but the pack got real hot.
Then flew with 4s 2100mah pack and the thing went ballistic. Vertical roll til out of sight !! The ESC then cut, and subsequently totalled the Mig trying to get it back deadstick to the field......car in between model and field stopped it nicely !!!
I'm fairly new to all this and you guys seem to be into the mathematical nitty gritty, but I will be interested to hear how you get on !! Sounds like I'm not too far out in my rooky guess work !
Mig number 2 is complete (with Nav lights) but I am waiting for a bigger ESC to arrive. Also got FlightPower EVO20's to experiment with. One 3s 2500 and one 4s 1800.
Airbusboy is offline Find More Posts by Airbusboy
Old Jan 15, 2006, 02:33 PM
Bishops Stortford, UK
Joined Dec 2005
157 Posts
Oh yeah, got an AstroFlight 020 motor kicking around. Haven't heard these motors mentioned on this thread. Are they any good and is it worth sticking in and giving it a try ??
Airbusboy is offline Find More Posts by Airbusboy
Old Jan 15, 2006, 06:57 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Sorry you crashed your MiG. Sounds more like you smoked the motor rather than the ESC just cutting out. Suggest you see if it still runs and if it does you need to check the ampdraw(use 3S to test)My last himax shorted the windings so on 3S it ran but was pulling 35amps instead of 22amps! ie. no good...
I've no experience with the miniACs so can't comment on that.
Not sure if the Astro (in a alfafan) can spin at 50-60,000 continously without throwing a magnet. It is a very good motor in the minifan.(30,000rpm or so.)
Saw the flightpowerEVOs at the show yesterday, They look awesome!
Bruce
Old Jan 15, 2006, 07:04 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Some good news! 4S Mega16/15/2 w/stock alfa rotor

I disabled the current limiting on the cc phoenix45 ESC and it worked!!!!
WOT and no cutouts!
Amp reading after flight and this setup is only drawing 25.1amps!
After the pack warmedup it seemed as fast as my (over the limit)2025/5300 on 4S setup.
At last I can fly WOT the whole flight!
Motor is cool afterward!
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:01 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,350 Posts
Thats really cool, I'll have to try that then. Only 25A? Interesting.

Yeah, Shawn is a very nice guy, I have known him personally for many years now.

Chris