HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2006, 06:23 PM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,468 Posts
Brian,
I'm also interested in this motor for a Wemotec Mini480. I've asked Bob at All ERC to get the real numbers from Hyperion. I'll post them here when I get them.
Neal
Nobert is offline Find More Posts by Nobert
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2006, 07:40 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobert
Brian,
I'm also interested in this motor for a Wemotec Mini480. I've asked Bob at All ERC to get the real numbers from Hyperion. I'll post them here when I get them.
Neal

Norbert,

I have asked them to get the numbers a couple times myself, asked again today as a matter of fact. They say they are having trouble getting them from Hyperion but will send them when they have them.

don't think that motor is going to be to good for a Minifan though. The best motor for that fan is the HET 2W-20. You will get 650 watts on 4 cells. I have two of those set-ups.

Brian
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Jan 04, 2006, 08:17 PM
The Sky's the Limit
Lexington Ky.
Joined Mar 2005
122 Posts
How much thrust do you guys think that that the MP jet AC 25/25-26 Mk 2 Brushless Motor has with the alfa fan and a 3s 1320? I have this motor and would like to know how much thrust it produces.
mad skill is offline Find More Posts by mad skill
Old Jan 04, 2006, 08:32 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler
Nice! Do we have any numbers for it.....watts and amps?
Thanks!
Brian
CofG only posted amps @ 31-32 on 4S w/ HyperionY22L 5000kv I'm sure he'll post more #s once he figures out his ESC mystery problem.
(Hows that going btw Chris?)
Bruce

mad skill, As for ALFAfan thrust #s, on my teststand w/no ducting, intake lip, or spinner. 64,000rpm = 24ozs thrust

other than that refer to Roccobros spreadsheets in the first couple of pages of this thread.
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Old Jan 05, 2006, 12:01 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,468 Posts
Brian,
Nippon Dave was on vacation. Should be able to get the Hyperion numbers next week.
Neal
Old Jan 05, 2006, 08:44 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,016 Posts
Here is what I got from Aircraft World. Nothing really useful yet though. Still want to see the current draw and watts on 3-5 cells.

Hi Brian,

Sorry, we have been waiting for a bunch of Dyno tests to be completed by Hyperion. We HOPE that will be done by Monday.

For now:

2800Kv 13A
3600Kv 16A
3900Kv 18A
4400Kv 21A
5000Kv 25A

These are general guidelines for max continuous current. Loaded rpm should be 50,000rpm max. EDF guys are pushing the current to up to 30A+ for the 4400 and as much as 35A for the 5000Kv, with rpm as high as 65,000 recoerded.
Old Jan 05, 2006, 09:02 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,468 Posts
Brian,
Thanks. With those kind of numbers why wouldn't you put one in a Mini480?
Neal
Old Jan 05, 2006, 09:12 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobert
Brian,
Thanks. With those kind of numbers why wouldn't you put one in a Mini480?
Neal
well in almost every set up i have ever tried in a mionifan I have been over 40-50 amps. those are just a small motor for that fan. A 60MM fan is the max I would think you want to use for those motors. The HET 2w-20 is only about $10 more anyway. You can try it though. I have only used a Hacker B-40 5 cells 40 amps 600 watts, Mega 16/15/3 4 cells 375 watts 50 amps, and HET 4 cells 45 amps 650 watts, which are bigger motors. I'd be curious to know how it works.
Old Jan 05, 2006, 11:03 AM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,343 Posts
It works out to 531.2W and 32A on 4S. As I told Tumbler, the motor runs smoother and seems to handle it better than the Himax. It made 700g of thrust too.

I have to post some photos of my fans later with the weights. I have a good spread to share with you guys. 4 fans and 5 motors.

Chris

Have to do more testing on the ESC thing, no time last night. I'm going to preheat the packs to 100F and see if thats the issue.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Jan 05, 2006, 11:27 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller
mad skill, As for ALFAfan thrust #s, on my teststand w/no ducting, intake lip, or spinner. 64,000rpm = 24ozs thrust
You got the same thrust from the MPJet 25/25/26 Mk2 motor as I did with the Hyperion but mine was installed in the Mig with full ducting. I have a depron rig I hold the model nose down over a scale and tear the scale to 0 then start the run. I got 24.19oz/700g thrust from the Hyperion motor this way.
I didnt think that MPjet motor had the guts to turn this fan like that, I'll have to pull the pinion gear off of it and maybe try it in the other M fan I have coming. The motor is new, never flew it in the gearbox I got it with because I didnt like the Mk1 on my Alfa P-51 so I lost interest. The Mk 1 had a bearing go bad so I got it swapped for the Mk2.

Chris
Old Jan 05, 2006, 12:01 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C of G
It works out to 531.2W and 32A on 4S. As I told Tumbler, the motor runs smoother and seems to handle it better than the Himax. It made 700g of thrust too.

I have to post some photos of my fans later with the weights. I have a good spread to share with you guys. 4 fans and 5 motors.

Chris

Have to do more testing on the ESC thing, no time last night. I'm going to preheat the packs to 100F and see if thats the issue.

Thanks Chris!

That looks like the best set up so far then IMO. I am looking for motors for a twin and this looks like it will put me over the 1K watt mark!

BTW what battery are you using that is capable of that amp draw that still fits in the mig?

Thanks,

Brian
Last edited by Tumbler; Jan 05, 2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2006, 01:56 PM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Oct 2005
702 Posts
Has anyone tried the Electrify Ammo 20-5100? 5100kV? I read these are the same technology as the Chili Pepper CP 20 which I think is no longer being made.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHYK5&P=7
mode101 is offline Find More Posts by mode101
Old Jan 05, 2006, 05:41 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler
Thanks Chris!

That looks like the best set up so far then IMO. I am looking for motors for a twin and this looks like it will put me over the 1K watt mark!

BTW what battery are you using that is capable of that amp draw that still fits in the mig?

Thanks,

Brian

I have some 15C 2000mah packs I tested it with. I flew it on 15C 1500mah packs since they fit better. The cells are tough enough to take 22-23C bursts in flight. I can fit the 2000mah packs if I had a new plane to accomodate the packs now that I know the model better, oh wait I do have one new kit in the box!!

I'm not impressed with the Mega set up, it seems to lack power as far as I have seen. Maybe the load is too light? It might do better with a cut down rotor with 5 blades. I have seen instances where if your not pushing the batteries you wont get the performance you think it should have. I'll have to wrap this testing up and fly soon, the weather has been awesome lately.

Chris
Old Jan 05, 2006, 05:56 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,343 Posts
@Tumbler
I had about 2 flights on 4S and 4-5 on 3S with the Hyperion motor. Then the event that shall not be mentioned happened. I'm glad the Himax motor was in it at that time though.
Old Jan 05, 2006, 08:13 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,343 Posts
Here are the photos I was going to post. I have the weights shown in the photo of the motors I have run.

Chris