HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2005, 08:49 PM
crash. rebuild. repeat
Fairfield CA, USA
Joined Mar 2005
838 Posts
Movin on up from Micros (to Swift)

I've been into micros for about 8 months now, and am nuts enough about R/C and helis in particular to know that it's time to move into something big (and electric). That something big is most likely a Swift. After seeing Fred Bronk fly his at an event and at a local field, it's a great looking machine that can be built to be VERY powerful, and looks well priced and very capable for the $.

So, I have a few n00b13 questions (I've searched on most of this, but couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for). Perhaps this can become the "I'm a clueless newbie from micros help me get into something big" thread for the Swift, as I've read over the other threads about power setups and it's still a bit beyond me.

1) I'm deathly afraid of glitching for something like a Swift (had my share with my Shoguns). So far my plan is to go with a QPCM RX (I have an Eclipse7 TX) and with a seperate battery/SBEC for the RX and servos. Is this a pretty good insurance plan to at least provide myself with some way of recovering should i glitch/get out of range? Is the seperate battery and SBEC overkill/stupid?

2) I want to build a pretty hot 3d ship. Is it possible to do this with multiple 3S-1p packs wired is series? Is it unwise to wire cells like this? It seems nice and modular, and I can use the packs for some of my other aircraft this way.

I'm sure there's more... TIA
Brendan
heli_newbie is offline Find More Posts by heli_newbie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:51 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Brendan, good to see you at the field. You didn't see the HOT setup on the Swift, but a good one for sure (1905/2 6s2p)

Don't be sold on PCM setups so fast. They don't cure a problem, just mask it. I have had almost zero problems with my setups. But yes, I have had a glitch or 2 from time to time. But I have flown through them.

An RX battery is fine and can be light and dependable. I would look at 1200ma 2/3 A pack to a 2500ma AA pack.
There are also fine ESC's that can handle 6s with BEC.

For the flight packs, I would use 3s2p in series. I think 4 packs is too much and you could would have to be sure all the packs were matched. Plus 3s2p packs are vesatle for other things.

Heck, $18 servos will work just fine for the cyclic too.

I am testing 2 more motors and will have feedback by the end of the week. Get your preorder in now if you want one!!!

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk