HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2007, 07:59 PM
SoarScale
United States, WI, Wind Lake
Joined Nov 2004
814 Posts
Back in touch with the world!!!

Folks,

I wanted to see if anyone here was interested in seeing the completion of this Ziroli P-61C Black Widow. Unfortunately, life took some very unexpected turns at the beginning of 2006 and I was completely unable to continue building the P61. It has been over a year since that time and the P61 has sat patiently waiting for her builder to finish her!!!

Well, I am now finding that I can spend a little time to complete the project plus I feel bad about leaving you guys in the lurch for so long.

If you folks are interested, I can continue this build log for the P61 but I would have to do so at a much slower rate that she progressed in 2005.

The primary next step is painting and weathering to the P-61C, Project Thunderstorm colors. The weather in California is now changing enough where painting is possible and I now have some time available to finish her.

Let me know if you are interested and I will really engage in finishing her. She has seen no further progress since new years eve, 2005 so this would simply be a continuation albeit over a year later.

Tony Elliott
SoarScale2 is offline Find More Posts by SoarScale2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2007, 10:05 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Yeah Tony, life does get in the way sometimes. I for one have enjoyed all you have done so far and would like to see you continue. So, if you would. And at any speed you're comfortable with
-Mike
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Old Mar 09, 2007, 12:12 AM
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
35 Posts
Tony

Sorry to hear about your "unexpected turns".

I'm sure we have all been waiting for you to get back to the building board, although perhaps a little less patiently than your P-61. If you are up to building and posting, your audience will be watching!

Cheers
Bill
bderksen is offline Find More Posts by bderksen
Old Mar 10, 2007, 07:48 PM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
352 Posts
Tony, please count me in as someone who would like to see the project advance. I'm glad that you were able to 'weather the storm'. I hope that the waters ahead are more in the line of 'gentle breezes and following seas'.

Bob
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:54 AM
United States, MA, Leominster
Joined Jun 2005
18 Posts
Tony,
Please continue to post your progress on this project. I have been using your techniques, etc. as a guide for beginning to develop my path forward for a scratch built C130. I enjoy learning from you.
Good Luck!
Mick B.
Mick B is offline Find More Posts by Mick B
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:55 PM
SoarScale
United States, WI, Wind Lake
Joined Nov 2004
814 Posts
P61C - resumed

Gentlemen, thanks!!

So, in continuation with the P-61C, if you cast your eyes back to posts #27 and #28, you will recall the P-61C Superturbocharger air intakes. You may recall that in utilizing the two Laser 300 V-Twins, I had planned to use the cavity within the air scoops as a location for the left and right exhaust canisters. Well, that's still the plan.

Now the shape contained in this cavity does not really lend itself to any standard canister that I know of so as I think I mentioned, a custom canister was needed. If you were to take a look at the full size P-61C, you will note that the exhaust "pipe" exits the rear of this air scoop as shown in the picture attached. It is my intent to create a custom canister from carbon fiber using molds with the exact same exhaust exit pipe.

Having the canister located in this air scoop also allows the airflow during flight to cool the canister provided the air has somewhere to go. While the full size uses an aluminum plate at the exhaust exit point, my model will have a fine wire mesh instead. This way the air can flow straight through the air scoop and cool the canister.

By the very fact that the engines are twins, it implies that two input ports are required in the canister. It has therefore been designed just for that.

The canister will be retained using a "harness" around the form and screwed to the mounting plate for the airscoop shown in post 27/28.

The two flex pipes now installed on the Laser V-Twins will then be attached to these two input ports.

I am now fortunate to have direct access to a CNC router which means that the molds will be made directly from MDF followed by some mold makers techniques to provide solid surfaces to the machined cavities of each half of the left and right canisters. This will provide me 4 shell halves that will be joined after cure using glass tape and resin.

The attached shows the general shape of the canisters as dawn in 3D CAD plus a first shot of the roughing pass of one half of the mold. Once the molds are finished, I will lay in the carbon and vacuum bag the laminate until cured.

There will be two "bulkheads" as such, internal to the canisters - one as a heatsink and alignment structure for the two input ports and one near the rear of the main body part to capture to internal sections of the input ports.

The rear exhaust pipe will also get it's own light structure at the very rear so the it is stable and locked into place. The molds are not complex but will take me a bit of time to finish and mold the parts. I will cvome back when they are done.
SoarScale2 is offline Find More Posts by SoarScale2
Old Apr 13, 2007, 08:53 PM
Joined Jun 2005
10 Posts
Hi Tony,
Glad to see you back and continuing the build. Have been checking the thread off and on for several months as "some day I hope to build a p61" and your work and ideas are extremely valuable. Thanks for sharing.
Don
DandGMartin is offline Find More Posts by DandGMartin
Old Apr 14, 2007, 02:29 PM
Joined Feb 2007
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick B
Tony,
Please continue to post your progress on this project. I have been using your techniques, etc. as a guide for beginning to develop my path forward for a scratch built C130. I enjoy learning from you.
Good Luck!
Mick B.

wow a C-130?..what model and how big.. i am a C-130 Crew Chief retired lol..I love that plane
Belgarath is offline Find More Posts by Belgarath
Last edited by Belgarath; Apr 14, 2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 14, 2007, 08:06 PM
United States, MA, Leominster
Joined Jun 2005
18 Posts
C130 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath
wow a C-130?..what model and how big.. i am a C-130 Crew Chief retired lol..I love that plane
I'm leaning toward the H model but kind of like the gun ship too. I've purchased the planes off of the internet, Palmer plans. Right now I'm developing variable pitch prop hubs and hope to evaluate them over this coming summer on one of my trainers. I've bought the middle size plans ~ 88" wing span, but am thinking of scaling them up, still haven't decided however.

I've been researching the various full scale models over the internet and have an extensive library on the Herc! I too am in love with the bird. I will mostlikely start cutting wood, etc next fall/winter.

I would be interested in any stories, pictures etc you might be able to share. Drop me a note, I'll forward my private email address.

Take care,

Mick
Mick B is offline Find More Posts by Mick B
Old Apr 15, 2007, 02:43 AM
Joined Feb 2007
123 Posts
Quote:
I'm leaning toward the H model but kind of like the gun ship too. I've purchased the planes off of the internet, Palmer plans. Right now I'm developing variable pitch prop hubs and hope to evaluate them over this coming summer on one of my trainers. I've bought the middle size plans ~ 88" wing span, but am thinking of scaling them up, still haven't decided however.

I've been researching the various full scale models over the internet and have an extensive library on the Herc! I too am in love with the bird. I will mostlikely start cutting wood, etc next fall/winter.

I would be interested in any stories, pictures etc you might be able to share. Drop me a note, I'll forward my private email address.

Take care,

Mick

lol, you want pics..not a problem. I am in Germany, working on Spangdahlem AFB in Transient Alert...we getr C-130's all the time...and 160's, PC-7, Tornados..lol all NATO aircraft come though here at one time or another.

I see what i can get you for close ups.
Belgarath is offline Find More Posts by Belgarath
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:32 AM
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Brazil, RJ, Miguel Pereira
Joined Apr 2007
919 Posts
your plane is gorgeous!!!

keep doin´
Wilian Amaral is offline Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:56 PM
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Brazil, RJ, Miguel Pereira
Joined Apr 2007
919 Posts
Quote:

Take care,

Mick

Hello Mick!

A C-130 is a very nice plane!!!
Where did you get the plans?
I want to build one someday with the FAB (Brazilian Air Force) schemes.
Can you share your info´s with me?
Hugs,
Wil
Wilian Amaral is offline Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral
Last edited by Wilian Amaral; Apr 23, 2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:53 PM
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2007
1 Posts
Please continue...

Tony,
Thank you for sharing what you have done so far. I just discovered this site and your project a few days ago and now I am hooked! I love the P-61 and I love learning what you are teaching! It has been a very long time since I have tackled and nice piece of balsa but you have given me the guidance that I was looking for. You have made my project easier!

Thank You!
Jon Dee
Jon Dee is offline Find More Posts by Jon Dee
Old Jan 03, 2008, 12:05 PM
Joined Jan 2005
107 Posts
Unbielievable Building of a Great WWII Aircraft

Please keep going I am looking forward to the painting and detailing of this bird.

Bernie
bnflyn is offline Find More Posts by bnflyn
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:47 AM
Joined Dec 2005
3 Posts
What ever happened to this build?
G-Pete is offline Find More Posts by G-Pete