HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2005, 09:43 AM
Why'd it do that?
Erin, WI
Joined Mar 2004
508 Posts
Rave
MiG-3 Build (With Retracts)

Hey all. Since my F3F-2 is together and waiting for better weather, I have decided to start my next plane's build. I have a few to build this Winter so I need to keep on top of them.

This plane is a 1:12 "400" size electric from www.warbirdkits.com. I know that TreeDiver has a thread on a MiG, but since I will be asking all sorts of questions I wanted to keep this one separate, sorry TreeDiver!

Why would I need to ask questions? I am planning on putting retracts on this plane. I have a set of Pico GWS retracts. So the first question is, will these "do" for this plane? Here is a link to the plane:
http://www.warbirdkits.com/mig-3/mig-3.html

AUW should be around 19 Oz, but mine will most likely be over that due to the extra servo and gear.

I have selected a motor from www.justgofly.com and it's the 450FT that has just been released. I have this in my Yak-1 with only a couple of flights on it, but it seems to be a great motor for this size plane. I am spinning a 6x4 APC SF (statically) at 18,300 rpm. I have not taken current measurements yet to see if a 6x3 or other prop would be better suited.

So, with that here are some shots of the kit...
Insagor is offline Find More Posts by Insagor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:07 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,300 Posts
Good Luck, Dave. I'll be following.

Steve
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Oct 31, 2005, 09:43 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Article on the MiG-3 in a mag I just picked up yesterday...has a calender in the middle, too, plus great color shots of Reno Racers.

MiG-3 was first WWII aircraft to surpass 400 pmh, per the article. Sure looks fast!

I need them with more wing Still like the looks of (well, just about Any airplane!

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Nov 01, 2005, 09:51 AM
Why'd it do that?
Erin, WI
Joined Mar 2004
508 Posts
Steve,
Thanks, and I'm glad you are going to follow this one. I will probably need your help!

Terry,
More wing?

Dave
Old Nov 01, 2005, 09:57 AM
Why'd it do that?
Erin, WI
Joined Mar 2004
508 Posts
The start of it all...

Well, not as much as I had hoped to get done this morning but it's a start!

I have the lower center wing panel together, minus the sheeting. More on that in a minute.

The parts are all laser cut and almost fall out of the sheets, actually, a couple have. The instructions are a bit of text and then an illustration. If I can follow them, I'm sure any of you can. Actually, it seems that the kit is pretty fool-proof from the start. Not only do the prints have the parts identified but the parts identifier is ON the parts when you take them out of the sheet. At least for the ribs and panels so far. This is a really nice touch.

I've only taken two shots so far. The first is the center section lower panel with the ribs in place and the second is the same shot with the torque rods installed.

I'll post these two and then follow-up with another reply. I am at a point where I need some input...

Dave
Old Nov 01, 2005, 10:04 AM
Why'd it do that?
Erin, WI
Joined Mar 2004
508 Posts
Okay, so why at the start of the build do I need input? Here's why. I am installing retracts into this plane. At this point, I am to sheet the top of the center section. My question is, should I set this aside at this point and build the outer panels, minus the top sheeting, to figure out the installation of the retract gear, wheel housing and servo mounting? Or, does it make sense to sheet the center section and then move to the outer sections?

Also, would it be wise at this point to also cut-out the shape of the servo in the center section - before sheeting?

Thanks!

Dave
Old Nov 01, 2005, 10:55 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insagor
Okay, so why at the start of the build do I need input? Here's why. I am installing retracts into this plane. At this point, I am to sheet the top of the center section. My question is, should I set this aside at this point and build the outer panels, minus the top sheeting, to figure out the installation of the retract gear, wheel housing and servo mounting? Or, does it make sense to sheet the center section and then move to the outer sections?

Also, would it be wise at this point to also cut-out the shape of the servo in the center section - before sheeting?

Thanks!

Dave
Dave I have no 3-view avail to me to give a very accurate answer. But.. I will say, keep the top unsheeted till you have all mechanics operating perfectly. This I know from experience with larger models. In other words, don't block any access to the mechanics till you are satified with the operation. I have been building scale models for more yrs than I care to say. And one basic is to not work yourself into a corner, that requires a major repair/rework. You will profit from this work of "getting it right. now".

Steve
Old Nov 01, 2005, 11:59 AM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insagor
Steve,
Thanks, and I'm glad you are going to follow this one. I will probably need your help!

Terry,
More wing?

Dave
More wing area...so it will fly slower, for my slower reflexes

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Nov 01, 2005, 07:43 PM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,638 Posts
Maybe Terry Majewski will chime in here with his thoughts on adding retracts...

Dave, my only advice at this point is to be careful to maintain the correct contours when sanding the nose to shape. Make the curves too flat and you'll be sanding air. Don't ask me how I know

I would suggest tracing the nose contours onto the nose blocks before you hit them with 80 grit paper.

-tom
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Nov 01, 2005, 07:47 PM
Imagine That!
Joined Jan 2003
1,638 Posts
Oh, one other thing. This is designed as a one-piece model, with access to the electrics and electronics via the canopy hatch. Since you are installing retracts, you probably will want to make the wing removable.

-tom
Old Nov 01, 2005, 07:51 PM
Imagine That!
Joined Jan 2003
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin
Dave I have no 3-view avail to me ...
Steve
Here ya' go. Looks like all the retract mechanism should be in the flat center section. Piece of cake!

Tom
Old Nov 01, 2005, 08:05 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,454 Posts
TomJacob,

That Mig-3 documentation you posted is a keeper.

Did you guys know that a full scale Mig-3 has recently been restored to flying condition? It is apparently going to be flying very soon. I saw picture of this Mig-3 was in a recent full scale aviation mag (I can't remember which though).
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Nov 01, 2005, 09:08 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,300 Posts
ahhh... the wizard of the internet comes through again..! The rearward angle of the retract would make the wheel be angled in the retract mode. This is not bad. Required of many scale designs. A thin wheel profile will help. And you will be required to elevate the front of the attachment screws. Trial and error will get the results. The reason for your reasoning for leaving the top surface un sheeted. But, I believeve the effort is worth the outcome.

Steve
Old Nov 01, 2005, 09:19 PM
Imagine That!
Joined Jan 2003
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg
Did you guys know that a full scale Mig-3 has recently been restored to flying condition? It is apparently going to be flying very soon. I saw picture of this Mig-3 was in a recent full scale aviation mag (I can't remember which though).
The Fighter Factory is doing the resto. http://www.fighterfactory.net/restoration/mig-3.php

-tom
Old Nov 02, 2005, 07:32 AM
TerryM
United States, AR, Heber Springs
Joined Sep 2001
719 Posts
I don't see any problems with adding retracts. The extra weight will be mostly
forward of the CG. The model has a long nose so the battery pack may have
to move back a little.

Looking forward to seeing the build.
The plane is a smooth flyer.