HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:15 PM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
557 Posts
Just Couldn't Wait for a P-38

I have long lusted for a P-38. The kits I've looked at were much too pricey for my pocketbook, and it doesn't look like GWS will be selling their's any time soon. So, two weeks ago, I fired up the foam cutter. The results are below.

Specs:
Span: 36 inch
Area: 234 sq. in.
Length: 26 in.
Weight: 13.5 - 14 oz.
Power: two Speed 280 motors.
Props: APC 5.7X3
Battery: 3-cell Apogee 1050 LiPo
ESC: CC Pixie 20
Functions: Aileron, Elevator, Throttle

First flight was with a 2-cell Apogee LiPo, but performance was lethargic. Second flight was with the 3-cell Apogee, and performance was excellent!

Now it's time to paint it, add the radiator scoops to the booms, and tweak the motor angles to ease the trim shifts between full power and glide.
Balsa Hound is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Hound
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:18 PM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
557 Posts
More Shots

Climbs strong at about a 30-degree angle. Loops from level flight. Rolls like crazy. And slows right down for landing.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:23 PM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
557 Posts
The wing is a constant-chord blank cut from pink foam. Tapering the flaps and ailerons produced a squint-view tapered planform.

The booms were cut using profiles from the Guillow P-38 kit, scaled down by about 20%. The tails are the same size as the Guillow kit, cut from profiles lifted right off the plans.

The center pod is 1.5-inch white foam cut from an old Omaha Steaks cooler. A scaled-down Guillow center pod profile was used to guide the cut. The resulting foam blank was sanded to shape, sheeted on the sides with 1/32 contest balsa, then hollowed out with a Dremel sanding drum.

Tails and control surfaces are sliced out of white Cry-O-Vac meat trays, sand and hinged with clear packing tape.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:37 PM
clumsy thumbs
Lincoln, NE
Joined Dec 2003
1,015 Posts
Looks fantastic!
shakysticks is offline Find More Posts by shakysticks
Old Oct 30, 2005, 01:20 PM
Palmdale, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
243 Posts
Looks great!!! Glad it flys so good for you. I have had mine for about a year with lots of flights and they look so good in the air. I think it is one of the most beautiful airplanes ever built. Take a look at mine if you like. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260085
Crash & Burn is offline Find More Posts by Crash & Burn
Old Oct 30, 2005, 01:46 PM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
557 Posts
Great-looking Lightning there, C&B! I don't usually go for profile models, but the detailing you did makes all the difference.

Wish I had the artistic skills to make mine look that good!