HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2001, 07:39 PM
My Brain is Full.
Pullman WA USA
Joined Jul 2001
188 Posts
Lite-Stik mods...a good Idea

Hello. I have just bought by first electric airplane, a Lite-Stik. I have visited nyblimp and other Lite-Stik pages and am planning to do the following modifications. Use 1/64" ply for servo and batt. mounts, use 7 cell pack over standard 6 cell and add dihedral with 2 lb. fishing leader and aluminum tubes for support. My question is this: Is it necessary to have the string attach to the wing tips, or would it work to attach it about half-span? Also I am thinking about using the fishing leader to make struts that attach to the same points on the wing and run to the fuse stick, is this a good idea? Thanks in advance for the help. Bryan
bgkast is offline Find More Posts by bgkast
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2001, 08:22 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi Welcome to the Ezone! There are a ton of people flying that plane and you'll get good tips here. I'm not flying that plane but there is a TON of info in the search forum in case you don't get an answer here. Once you get hooked though, it's a great quiet hobby that will hopefully give you years of pleasure, just take it slow and watch that credit card! Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Jul 23, 2001, 11:30 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,204 Posts
bgkast,

No, you don't have to stretch the leader frpm tip to tip. I glued on a couple of thin ply patches to the top of the wing, about half-way out on the span, poked a hole in the ply, then threaded line from patch to patch. PROBLEM: If you use the glue supplied in the Lite Stik package, it takes forever for it to dry, and it doesn't dry hard. I ended up with the patches sliding along the span, requiring retightening of the line. Use 5-minute epoxy instead.

My Lite Stik was otherwise stock, and weighed 6.9 ounces with the 6-cell 110 mAh pack, Feather RX, GWS Micro 30 servos. How much does yours weigh?

Jim Ruggiero
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Jul 23, 2001, 11:44 AM
St. Charles, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
668 Posts
Hi,

Go here and look at the bottom of the page. The polyhedral looks better than flying a bowed wing and works great. We have two flying here and the handling qualities are very nice and the wing doesn't break.
http://members.home.net/benlanterman/

The rest of the plane is stock. A good machine. I love the 20 minute+ flights with 7 cell 550 nimh batteries. The motor dosen't roast quite as bad as with the 8 cell packs.

Good Landings,
Ben
Ben Lanterman is offline Find More Posts by Ben Lanterman
Old Jul 23, 2001, 03:43 PM
Grizzled Member
Bonners Ferry, Idaho USA
Joined Mar 2001
267 Posts
Ben,

Not to deviate from the subject of the post, but WOW!!, that F-18 collage ought to be worth an award of some kind! Or has it already taken awards?

Nice work,
Jim
Jim Robinson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Robinson
Old Jul 23, 2001, 04:27 PM
My Brain is Full.
Pullman WA USA
Joined Jul 2001
188 Posts
Thanks alot for your help. Ben, that F-18 pic is great! Also How did you create the polyhederal? I agree that is does look better than the bowed wings. If it is not too hard I think it would be a good mod. for my 'Stik. JRuggiero- My stick will be getting here so I'll have to keep ypu posted about the weight. Thanks guys Bryan
Old Jul 23, 2001, 04:41 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,114 Posts
Definitely use the ply to attech the batteries and servos, as well as the 7 cell packs of 250/270 NiCads (Or 8 cell NiMH packs....the best packs Ive found are the 8 cell 300 NiMH packs from Hobby-Lobby.com....less than $20 over 15 minutes of flight and LOTS of power!).

But, I dont agree with the string. I dont thinks its needed! Ive built 3 Stiks...never did anything to the wings! Just put the control rod on the outermost hole on the servo horn, and the closest in on the rudder...it will turn fine! The string is a hassle and didnt improve anything when I tried it.

Good luck!

Jason
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2001, 07:14 PM
Slidell La.
Joined Jul 2001
14 Posts
I put toothpicks on the wingtips (reinforced with clear packaging tape) and tied a string across the wings (the tension also helps keep the wings in place).
I got rid of the plastic mid section and added the plywood battery holder. I am using the WalMart (Rayovac) 9v rechargable battery. This battery is more powerful than the wattage 6 cell 150 mah pack (that is recommended in the kit) and gives longer flight. I also added some twist to the stock propeller(to make it a little faster).
tomahawk2 is offline Find More Posts by tomahawk2
Old Jul 23, 2001, 07:17 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,521 Posts
I'm glad to see someone else flys theirs with out the dihedral string. My only modifications were to put the elevator horn on the top and to make the rudder all flying.

I pushed a piece of carbon rod up into the rudder at the 1/3 cord point and fixed it with a drop of foam friendly CA. This plugs into a 1/16" aluminum tube running through the fuse stick. Provides more turning power then is necessary. The push rod keeps the rudder attached during flight and allows me to easily remove the rudder. With the rudder, wings and landing gear removed, transport in a small box is easy.

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Jul 23, 2001, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2001
2,521 Posts
I'm glad to see someone else flys theirs with out the dihedral string. My only modifications were to put the elevator horn on the top and to make the rudder all flying.

I pushed a piece of carbon rod up into the rudder at the 1/3 cord point and fixed it with a drop of foam friendly CA. This plugs into a 1/16" aluminum tube running through the fuse stick. Provides more turning power then is necessary. The push rod keeps the rudder attached during flight and allows me to easily remove the rudder. With the rudder, wings and landing gear removed, transport in a small box is easy.

- Roger
Old Jul 23, 2001, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2001
2,521 Posts

- Roger
Old Jul 23, 2001, 08:00 PM
My Brain is Full.
Pullman WA USA
Joined Jul 2001
188 Posts
tomahawk2- is the rayovac 9 volt a Ni-MH battery that looks like a standard 9 volt? I have heard alot of talk about them, but don't know what to look for if I want one. Also what kind of flight times are you gering from it, and is it waring out the motor? Thanks Bryan
Old Jul 23, 2001, 09:49 PM
Slidell La.
Joined Jul 2001
14 Posts
Bryan,
The Rayovac rechargable 9v ni-mh battery looks like a conventional 9v transistor radio battery. It costs $6.95 at WalMart. I use my Electrifly Peak charger to charge it. My flight times at full power are about 4 minutes (i added pitch to the stock LS prop which draws more amps and shortens the run time). The motor seems to be doing OK (I am letting it cool between flights).
tomahawk2 is offline Find More Posts by tomahawk2
Old Jul 23, 2001, 10:55 PM
St. Charles, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
668 Posts
Bryan,

First of all thanks guys on the comments of the F-18, just in the right place at the right time. No prizes, just lots of fun.

The polyhedral is made just cutting the wing about 2/3 to 1/2 of way out to the tip at a rib station. Sand in a bevel and glue with what ever is handy that doesn't eat the foam. I used Titebond. The dowels just keep the polyhedral in when looping because an airplane that turns into a half circle just doesn't look right.

It will fly as from the kit but I feel that the polyhedral version flys just a little bit better for virtuallly no work. Of course the Stick is virtually no work to start with. It sure is fun.

Good Landings,
Ben
Ben Lanterman is offline Find More Posts by Ben Lanterman
Old Jul 23, 2001, 11:12 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
I also use the rayovac 9volts from walmart and I get about 5 minutes flying time with a 9x7 prop. They are so much lighter than the stock 270mah nicads that my plane can really climb and perform better.
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17