Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 29, 2005, 04:50 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Devils Lake in the Fall

Hey guys, just spent the day up at Devils Lake State Park in Wisconsin. Great day temp wise, but it was VERY windy. As the reason most of my pics aren't so sharp. But the colors were a little past peak, as we couldn't go last week. But I think all in all it was successful. I was planning on carrying the slow stick to the top of the bluff and launch it off Too windy though. On the 3rd flight though, sudden wind change had me coming in a little too hot and ran into a rock/pole going a good 15 mph. Total carnage. Well it isn't too bad. Fuse broken, camera mount a little broken, take 20 min to fix Enjoy the pics guys.
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2005, 04:51 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
a few more
Old Oct 29, 2005, 06:38 PM
Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States
Joined Oct 2003
1,882 Posts
Kyle, Nice picts.

Hey is that a broken apc prop there? :-)

Everyone has their opinion on a good looking picture or not. Whenever I get that haze off in the distance like in your 3rd picture, I try a little contrast masking. Of course now I think it looks better. :-)

Let me know what you think.

--Scott
dreslism is offline Find More Posts by dreslism
Old Oct 29, 2005, 07:01 PM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Lansing, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
1,240 Posts
Nice pictures! Too bad about the plane though.

Where does the car ferry in the first pic go? Just curious.

Gary D.
FoamingInMI is offline Find More Posts by FoamingInMI
Old Oct 29, 2005, 07:13 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Scott: I belive because of that prop, my fuse snapped Its an APC and it's not broken. I think it hit the rock head on and didn't break. Tough little props. Yea I think that picture looks a lot better. Seems to bring out the colors more too. nice!

Gary: Sorry I was in a rush posting this, I'd be happy to explain. That is the Marrimac III ferry. Very new only a few years. But that ferry has been transporting car across the wisconsin river for quite some time. A couple decades at least. It crosses about a 1/3-1/2 mile stretch of the river. The plane can be fixed in about an hour. Only thing that broke was the fuse.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:46 AM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
great pics dude! Was fun flying this even w. you too. Glad to here that your trip wasnt that bad. Like you said, SS shouldnt be a hard fix. Still gonna use a spruce fuse? Or maybe try the alum with spruce inside it?
Matt Dziubinski is offline Find More Posts by Matt Dziubinski
Old Oct 30, 2005, 01:00 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,283 Posts
How about a carbon fiber tube for a fuse ???
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 30, 2005, 01:11 AM
Team HeliProz
Saint Clair, MI
Joined Jan 2004
1,275 Posts
I thought about trying one of these, just haven't got around to it.

8 X 7 X 1000mm

$9.50 @ HL
RCFEVER is offline Find More Posts by RCFEVER
Old Oct 30, 2005, 10:06 AM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Nice shots, Kyle. What camera are you using?
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Oct 30, 2005, 10:16 AM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Matt: probably going to keep the spruce. I just liked the look of it overall compared to alum. And its only $2 so its pretty cheap.

JettPilot, RCFEVER: You guys think CF tubing will work better then spruce? You think it can hold up to the punishment? Also, how heavy would it be in comparison? Sounds like a possibility, but for $9 a pop, I'd like to make sure it'll work.

Thanks Karl, same camera as usual, Kodak CX6330. 3 megapixal. Though, the quality from this camera seems to be taking a dive for some reason. Maybe I messed with the wrong settings, or its been hit too many times
Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:03 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Good shots, Kyle. I like #1 the best.

Too bad about the harsh landing, but that's AP for ya. Flying in a location and in weather you would NEVER otherwise fly in.
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Oct 30, 2005, 02:42 PM
Team HeliProz
Saint Clair, MI
Joined Jan 2004
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle G.
JettPilot, RCFEVER: You guys think CF tubing will work better then spruce? You think it can hold up to the punishment? Also, how heavy would it be in comparison? Sounds like a possibility, but for $9 a pop, I'd like to make sure it'll work.
I don't know if it would be better, I have yet to try it. But at $9.50 a peice I would hope so!

Not to sure about the weight either, HL does not provide a lot of info about them.
RCFEVER is offline Find More Posts by RCFEVER
Old Oct 30, 2005, 08:53 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Thanks Steve, New SS is pretty much done Debating if I should try out my Magpie wing on it. Just a matter of moving the rear saddle up an inch or 2. Should try that and see if it effects lift and wind penetration over my Stealhead wing.

RCF: It'd be worth a try, but in my case, I'd rather've broken my $2 spruce fuse then say, my motor. I'd like to keep the weakpoint the fuse. Or maybe something else, but not something expensive.