Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin
Wow.. nice LG!

Steve
Thanks. I spent a good evening on it, at least. Cutting out, gluing together, and sanding those little plastic halves. I actually installed the little printed cardboard bays inside the nacelle wells also. The nacelle/bays actually fit together quite well, considering the manual hands-on approach Guillows uses to make the molds for the parts. More difficult than some may imagine.
I ended up sheeting the fuse with 1/32. It will be a bit heavier, but I like the sheeted look. The covered spar look is good on WWI biplanes and Stearmans, not DC-3s.
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2005, 03:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Not as light as I would have liked, but the sheeting looks good.. Just don't care much for the spar look on a sheetmetal covered plane. I told myself I wasn't going to sheet the fuse, or at least not all of it, to save weight. The 1/32 fuse sheeting only added 1/2oz, but it is still 1/2oz that would be nice to lose. Fit the wing farings to the fuse and the tail section/farings today. Attached the wing faring permanently to the fuse only, so the wing can still be removed. They all actually fit pretty well.
Old Nov 02, 2005, 08:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Finished trimming the rear of the wing faring, and installing the balsa under fuse fillers. Parts fit well. In the bottom view the batt compartment can be seen. The 3s-1320 TP Prolite fits snug, with the connectors on top. The compartment is rubber foam lined. The batt connector slides through a hole in the fuse bulkhead, allowing extra wire to be pushed back into the fuse, after installing and connecting the batt. The red JST conn can be seen in the corner of the batt opening. Space it tight, but it is not difficult to install the battery and tuck away the conn. Not a series of tricks, as in some planes with tight spaces. The switch for the FMA Super esc is next to the opening (black blurr in photo). The receiver and esc are in the fuse compartment directly behind the wing LE.
Old Nov 05, 2005, 10:05 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,660 Posts
Scratch,

Looks great!
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Nov 05, 2005, 11:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85
Scratch,

Looks great!
Thanks, need to get the motivation to cover this thing now. Not my favorite part, especially with metallics. Silver is a bit tougher than other colors, although chrome is the worst. I saw a chrome sleeper version in a magazine, looked real good, but I'll pass on the stress of using chrome Monokote.

I got a PM asking to pull this thread up. Search Engine wouldn't find DD3, but found "Eastern". Usually one way or another to unbury them, if you get creative in terms of remembering other unique descriptive words in the thread, to use in the search box.
I've started logging threads in My Favorites, since the search engine is iffy.

Bill
Last edited by scratchandbash; Feb 15, 2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2005, 10:41 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,660 Posts
Scratch,

Why not do an olive drab C-47?

Steve
Old Nov 06, 2005, 10:44 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,660 Posts
I meant to ask about the plastic wing fairings. The B-17 has them too, and I've been looking at the plastic pieces a little dubiously. Did yours fit well, and were you able to fair them into the wing and fuse sheeting? Maybe you could post a close up picture...

Steve
Old Nov 06, 2005, 12:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Quote:
I meant to ask about the plastic wing fairings. The B-17 has them too, and I've been looking at the plastic pieces a little dubiously. Did yours fit well, and were you able to fair them into the wing and fuse sheeting? Maybe you could post a close up picture...

Steve
Probably can't get focus any closer that what I have posted, with the camerea I have. 2 feet is about minimum. I glued the wing farings onto the fuse sheeting (sheeting obviously done first) with the sing mounted in place. It fit very well. I then trimmed the rear portion of the farings, while fitting the balsa fillers that mount behind the wing, and align with its trailing edge. The fillers required little trimming, and with a small amout of sandable filler, they blended into the fuse perfectly. When I cover it, I will overlap about 2mm of covering onto the plastic parts, and then paint the parts matching silver. I just covered the nose section back to the wing, overlapping the plastic parts, and then painting them. Looks pretty good. You do have to be carful not to melt and dent the plastic parts.
Old Nov 07, 2005, 07:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Fuse Completed

I missed Steve's question about the olive drab version. Well the photo below will hopefully explain the scheme choice. I see why Great Planes chose the scheme also. I first wanted to do a military version, but Guillows included such nice wetslides for the Eastern Airlines version, that they talked me into it. Anyway, I figured I'd get all the painstaking stuff over with first, so its all downhill from here. The fuselage is finished. Covering the wings will be much easier than the fuselage.
The wetslides actually went quite well, athough they can go to hell in a handbasket quite quickly, on a bad day. I've miraculousy pieced together and saved some in the past, which I don't care to do again, so I was very careful and patient with these large decals.
Old Nov 08, 2005, 06:11 AM
Antwerp Deurne, Belgium
Joined Dec 2003
165 Posts
scratchandbash,

This is looking great.
Do you still plan on using the speed 300? What gearing are you planning? Is it build stock or are there some mods added besides the controls.

Prop
Propeller is offline Find More Posts by Propeller
Old Nov 08, 2005, 02:06 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,660 Posts
Scratch,

Wow, that looks really nice. If you can keep that up, it'll be worth the hassle of covering in chrome!

Steve
Old Nov 08, 2005, 11:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Scratch,

Wow, that looks really nice. If you can keep that up, it'll be worth the hassle of covering in chrome!

Steve
Thanks Steve. Its really silver, which is easier than chrome. I saw a chrome one I really liked, but remembered the stress of previous chrome jobs all too well. It actually looks like an exact miniature of the Great Planes DC-3 ARF on the market now. Same colors and detail.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propeller
scratchandbash,

This is looking great.
Do you still plan on using the speed 300? What gearing are you planning? Is it build stock or are there some mods added besides the controls.

Prop
Prop, have the speed 300 motors direct. The thrust is pretty impressive with the small props, I'd like 3-blades, but they were inefficient and loaded the motors too much. The wings were stretched a few inches, as the wing loses a lot of area due to the steep taper.
Finally got around to finishing this thing, as I tend to lose the excitement at the covering stage. Looks pretty similar to the Great Planes ARF, with the decals Guillows supplied.
Not sure what happened to the weight goals. Sheeting the fuse for scale look didn't help, but it looks much better that way. Same goes for partially sheeted wings. Ended up at 19.5oz AUW with 3s-1320 ProLite lipo with a wing loading of 17.4 oz/sq-ft. Not extremely light, but much better than a 20 oz/ft wing loading.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 03:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Tried to take an action shot. Didn't quite work out, as the propellors pretty much "froze" in the photo. Had it at low throttle, with the wheels chocked by twigs.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 09:49 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,825 Posts
Very Nice

19 ounces doesn't sound like too much, my GWS Zero weighs 18.5 oz with brushless/lipo setup and landing gear. It can fly take off and fly and land scale-like or will fly like my Switchback 3D. Good ;uck with the maiden flight. Make sure it's not tail heavy and keep the nose down. Tip: have a helper stand by and set the trims while you hang onto sticks.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged