HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2002, 01:13 PM
Joined Oct 2001
26 Posts
Quality Balsa Wood Source?

I have to order a bunch of balsa wood and hobby plywood for some school projects I'm running. The prices at Lone Star Balsa are significantly less than what I see listed for the Midwest balsa at Tower Hobbies. Could anyone tell me if their experiences with Lone Star have been OK?

Thanks,
Bob
Bob81 is offline Find More Posts by Bob81
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2002, 01:31 PM
Fort Dodge, Iowa, USA
Joined Apr 2001
182 Posts
I have ordered several times from Lone Star Balsa and have always been pleased with the wood quality. You could do a lot worse than ordering from Riley Wooten!
elecwings is offline Find More Posts by elecwings
Old May 21, 2002, 03:28 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Mar 2001
226 Posts
I second that comment
Fly_joy is offline Find More Posts by Fly_joy
Old May 21, 2002, 04:31 PM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
600 Posts
I have found Lone Star to be the best. It is the only place I order balsa from. Their contest balsa is excellent!

Mike
MikeC is online now Find More Posts by MikeC
Old May 21, 2002, 09:17 PM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
I ordered non-contest balsa from lonestar and found it to be not only dense, but pretty heavy. I switched to National Balsa, and am VERY pleased with their non-contest wood. Its a much better choice in my opinion if your only buying non-contest balsa (I have no experience with the contest grades from either sources).

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old May 21, 2002, 09:31 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Superior Balsa

HI Bob, if your closer to the west coast Superior Balsa has some of the best wood around. They are in Southern California but ship all over the US. and there prices are excellent. I buy both their contest and regular grade wood and its both outstanding. As is their plywood. They also carry all kinds of epoxy resins and foam and carbon fiber all at prices that are much less than any hobby shop. I am lucky to live only 45 minute from them so I can stock up on wood when I need to. Hmm think I am getting low
Joe

http://www.superiorbalsa.com/
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
Old May 21, 2002, 09:59 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
I've had good luck with National. I'm no expert in balsa, but it looks pretty good to me and is the equal to any found in the kits I have. That is until the Sig Antoinette I just received. Sig wood is beautiful. Someone on the web called it "furniture quality" and I agree.

National Balsa also has one of the best online ordering systems I've ever seen. They even have a pop-up window that verifies the type and quantity you've just clicked on. Shipping is also very fast.

As others have mentioned with all vendors order more than you'll need. You'll mess some up and even the best suppliers include the bad piece or two.

One minor quibble with National is that I wish they wouldn't wrap the bundles so tightly with rubber bands. They mess up the ends of some of the balsa. If they would make 1/2 as many turns it would be better.

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old May 21, 2002, 10:00 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Superior is my source!

Good 3 - 6 lb wood, always seems to be in stock.

Lady there told me once they cut to order, so if the bulk wood is there, your size is !

Low prices, quick service.

Wood does need a final finish sanding. Not as smooth as Sig premium wood, but a whole lot cheaper!!.
Wood comes packed with heavy junk balsa on top and bottom to protect wood in shipping! Packing wood is great for work stands, painting fixtures etc... and its free!

The only time I tried to order from Lone Star, they were out of stock on the contest wood I wanted. Superior had it, and has had it every time since, so I stick with them.

Doesn't matter where you live in the U.S.,
Shipping is shipping.

Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW