HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:45 AM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
What Motor for a Brian Taylor Hellcat??

I am starting to build a 64 inch wing span Brain Taylor Hellcat with flaps and retracts. I have been flying 90mm and 120mm EDFs for about 2 years now but I don't know anything about electric prop planes. I am looking for suggestions on a motor, perferably direct drive. I have 2 TP 5S4P ProLite packs and 2 TP 4S3P Gen2 packs. I can run either set of packs in series but to keep the weight down I would like to find a motor that uses one pack. I would like to fly formation with a couple buddies that are using the YS 110 on their 60 size warbirds. I would also like to be able to do a loop from level flight. Because the gear retracts back towards the trailing edge of the wing, a lot of ply is used for structual strength. Also, there is about 1.5 inches of space between the firewall and the leading edge of the wing so I am assuming a fair amount of nose weight will be neede to balance the plane on the CG. Because of this, I am guessing the weight to be in the 9 to 11 pound range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kirk
k_sonn is offline Find More Posts by k_sonn
Last edited by k_sonn; Oct 28, 2005 at 11:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:56 AM
TRP
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
What's the estimated weight of the BT F6F?
What's the wing area of the BT F6F?

Thanks
Ted
TRP is offline Find More Posts by TRP
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:05 AM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Ted, I believe I was editing the post with the weight estimates at the same time you were posting. I have been flying glow and gas powered warbirds for many years so from that experience I am guessing 9 to 11 pounds. A few years ago I had a Top Flite 60 sized P-47 that weighed 13 pounds and it flew like a trainer. I haven't measured the wing area yet but it should be close to the same as the TF P-47.

Kirk
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:29 AM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
My suggestion would be an AXI 4130/16 used with your 5S pack and a Graupner 15x8 3 bladed prop, possibly the 3 bladed 16x8. The only problem that I see is battery configuration and placement. I have had several short nosed models where I was able to put the battery packs in front of the firewall, but this usually requires several packs connected with series connectors.

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
Old Oct 28, 2005, 02:00 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
hey kirk,

Building from kit or plans will allow you to shave some weight here and there for EP. No real vibration to deal with ,and no fuel proofing, so I suppose a lighter finish is possible. The AXI 4130 series are great and very popular for little $$$

I like the Hacker B50 9xl on 5s 16x10 around 950 watts.
6s prolites 16x10 1,350 watts +

this combo hauls a 8.5 lb .60 P-40 around effortlessly and makes a bit more noise and more $$$ .

Quote:
I would also like to be able to do a loop from level flight.
it will do all that and more.Much more.

If you have the capacity to handle the draw, you could use the 2 4s in series and really get her going.

Best of luck, can't wait to see your finished model. Big fan of your F9F
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old Oct 28, 2005, 02:12 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Yup,

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Oct 28, 2005, 03:48 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Thanks guys for the input.

Here's a little more info about the project. As some of you may know, the Taylor Hellcat wasn't designed with retracts or flaps in mind. It probably wouldn't be to big of a job to retro fit retracts and flaps but because the wing wasn't structurally designed for them and I didn't want to get into redesigning the wing I decided to try a different route. I contacted Jerry Bates and asked permission to reduce his Hellcat wing plan to fit on the Taylor fuse. Mr. Bates was kind enough to give me permission so I reduced the wing and template sheets so the wing was 64 inches. Following the plans, I cut out the front and main spar and ribs W1, W2, W4, and W5 from 1/8 lite ply. The rest of the ribs are 3/32 balsa. None of the ribs had lightening holes so I used a couple of different size fostner bits to lighten them up. Below is a photo of what I have done thus far. The larger ribs in the photo with only one lightening hole will lose most of the rear section of the rib because that is where the wheel wells are located.

I have a Plettenberg 370/30/A2 S motor I was going to use on a WeMoTec HW-750 124mm ducted fan. The motor/fan combo draws 1740 watts at 49 amps with a 10S LiPo pack. With a 9S pack it is drawing 1500 watts at 42 amps. Would this motor be usable in the Hellcat with a 10S or 8S pack and how would the above numbers change when using a prop compared to a ducted fan? Does anyone know what size prop this motor can swing?

Thanks,
Kirk
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:37 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
hey Kirk,
wow, nice work !

might be too hot on 8-10s v to run DD . Could maybe gear it though .

Plettenberg HP 370/30/A2 S SL = 679 kv DD

AXI 4130/16 = 390 kv DD

by comparing KV and gear ratios of proven motor/combos ,you'll be able to get an idea .

Quote:
Does anyone know what size prop this motor can swing?
Guess the best way to find out is strap some props on there,get Wattmeter out, and wind it up
Like to know what ya find.

With 10s+ I'd go C50 and forget about it .

take care ~
Henry
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:45 PM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
975 Posts
Got you thinking eh Kirk? What happened to the RCS 1.4?

Glad to see you haven't completely gone to the "Dark Side".

Paul
Tempest is online now Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Oct 29, 2005, 11:53 AM
Comox B.C Canada
Joined Feb 2002
85 Posts
Looks like a great project. I am just finnishing my Brian Taylor FW 190. It is 1/7th scale with a 60.25" wing span and less wing area than yours. With any luck it should come out at 8.5-9.0 lbs. My setup is a hacker B50 14XL 3.7/1 gearbox, 16/11 Puma 3 blade prop, 6 or 7s 3p prolite. My build has been taking way too long, several years due to too much moving! Hope this helps. By the way, I have a build thread over at rcscalebuilder.com but have not updated it for some time. I plan on posting the whole project over here once it is finished. Good luck, and I look forward to following your progress.

Cheers
Ulrich
Ulrich Dick is offline Find More Posts by Ulrich Dick
Old Oct 29, 2005, 12:14 PM
aka neweflyer
Vancouver, wa
Joined Feb 2000
354 Posts
I am currently flying one of the hanger 9 mustangs ( same basic size) on a actro 40-5 on a 10s2p tanic pack. I have flown it with a at6 (same size) that was powered with a 90 2-stroke. he was a bit faster in the flats but i pulled harder in the verticles. Thought this might help you refrence. I have also flown the hanger 9 mustang with the axi on a 6s pack. Although the plane flew good. it did not have the power and you could tell during flight. If you are going to play with the big IC boys, pick a power system for 8-10s.
fwiw,
grant
Grant Lord is offline Find More Posts by Grant Lord
Old Oct 30, 2005, 07:43 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest
Got you thinking eh Kirk? What happened to the RCS 1.4?

Glad to see you haven't completely gone to the "Dark Side".

Paul
You did get me thinking I have decided to e-power the Hellcat.

Kirk
Old Oct 30, 2005, 07:46 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Ulrich, Grant, Thanks guys for the info.

Ulrich, I took a look at the FW-190 thread on RCScaleBuilder. Nice work. She looks great.

Kirk
Old Oct 30, 2005, 07:50 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
After considering the advice given here and doing some research, I have decided to use the AXI 5320/28. Some may think this is overkill but I want to swing one of the Solo Props scale 18 inch 3-bladed props and this motor should be able to do it.

I have started to put the wing together so I will start a build thread.

Kirk