HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:28 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,368 Posts
Revision of my previous attempt..

Still debating if I want to put this in the AP forum or here... Anywhoo.. This will be the second revision of the glow powered ship I built last month. The laser cuts arrived and I started working the wing....

This will be pushed up with the same Magnum 4 stroke 50 that I used on the previous version. I also picked up a FMA CoPilot to level the wings. I also have a GWS V-Tail mixer on hand I will be testing out again. Just today I ordered in a Pico-Pilot. There will be a heck of a wiring job in this plane!

The nose cone and body tube also arrived for the plane. I test fitted the nose cone on the older revision. I had to add 4-5oz of weight to the nose to get the plane to balance without it.

The Maxstream's I picked up almost a year ago went up for their flights. These performed as expected. I was able to track the flight all the way up to 1000' AGL, and far out about the area.. I didn't feel the need to push beyond that. This was with the standard 1/4 wave antenna on board the plane. I guess I'll see how far out these things will go as I flip over to autonomous.

On the ground I'll be tracking with my laptop. In addition to the video camera... I picked up a 7" monitor for the video feed. I also have the optional video glasses if I want them. Video will be coming down through the Black Widow AV system.

There are a few things that I'm going to change with my tail boom holders. This will make it easier to get them in and out. I'm going to order the new carbon fiber rods tomorrow for the redesign.

Unfortunatlly November and the winter months is right around the corner. The days are getting shorter and the wind is kicking up. This will mean less time for testing.

I'll be sending a servo controller off to a friend for him to play with. Hopefully he can come up with some sort of program that will interact with the controller. Using a joystick or something, I'd get the plane off the ground. After the plane is at cruise, I'd flip control over to the Pico Pilot.

Plenty of stuff to do between now and May!
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:35 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Sweet,

Is the first version still around? The electronic parts your friend is coming up with? What is it's task? You're flying with a PCM radio right?

Dan
kd7ost is offline Find More Posts by kd7ost
Old Oct 28, 2005, 01:43 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7ost
Is the first version still around? The electronic parts your friend is coming up with? What is it's task? You're flying with a PCM radio right?
The first glow version is still around. Just missing a landing gear. The electric version is still around. It's hanging up in the closet.

I'm flying with a computer radio so it's selectable FM/PCM, it's just a matter of upgrading my reciever. Not that big of a deal. I'll just have to shell out $100 to do it. At first I'm going to arm everything via the gear switch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2005, 12:19 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,368 Posts
Post pulled
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by typicalaimster; Nov 06, 2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 12:57 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Post removed by author
Last edited by kd7ost; Nov 05, 2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:08 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,368 Posts
Yeah true, I'm just upset that they don't state more clearly that you have to buy the software.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2005, 07:17 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,368 Posts
Bit of an update here. There's a small setback with my project, but I'm going to rearrange a few of my goals and be back on track... I finished one side of the wing and half of the Fuse. Here are a few pics..

This is one side of the wing. Just have to finish sanding it and apply the covering.

This is one half of the fuse....

Test fit of the two together....

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2005, 07:34 PM
RCAPA #14
United States, TX, Wimberley
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
As usual, Very nice Scott!.. I have been away for a while doeing some demos and searches.. What happend to the rev 1 glow model?

Myron
Myron is offline Find More Posts by Myron
Old Nov 04, 2005, 08:56 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,368 Posts
The previous version had a problem with the landing gear block. Eventually it killed part of my wing.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415196

I also wanted a way to remove the booms quickly and bring in a 3d fuse. In order to do that I had to change a few things. The wing went from a low wing to a mid wing. I also extended the engine mount back about an inch or two. Instead of mounting the engine on the outside of the plane, I built the plane around the engine..

Well looks like UPS just arrived with my rods. To give an idea how much has changed... Here is Rev1's Tail and front Fuse on Rev2. There are small changes here and there, but nothing to drastic...

From ACP-Composites I'm using two tubes to join things together. Their "TUP-17" and the "TUP-15". These are two different sized tubes. One is a .500" OD x .414" ID Tube. The other is a 0.393" OD x .290" ID tube. The tubes don't rub up against eachother flush, but it's pretty close! What I'll end up doing is running a small bit of silicon along the tube to act as a seal. I'm going to use pins to hold the tubes in place..

Although those are a bit small. It's not that hard to pick up some wire and bend my own.

Revision 3 will bring in a few things I'd like to change on this revision. Lately I've just been gluing the wings to the Fuse and leaving it at that. This next revision I'll be moving toward carbon fiber tubes in the wing. Two bolts will then hold the wing into the fuse. I'm also thinking about bringing on retracts just for fun. It really wouldn't improove anything but it'd look slick having no gear hanging from the plane while it flew...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2005, 11:14 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Scott,

Very nice work. Thanks for sharing again.

Dan
Old Nov 12, 2005, 06:20 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,368 Posts
Small update since I've been busy with life. I laminated the rest of the fuse. Basically it consists of these parts...

Tomorrow if I have time I'll be laminating the tail section.

After some review of how things are going together... I'll be modifying the fuse so it's thinner. There will be a few other changes here and there. This will help reduce a small amount of flying weight. The structure will still remain just as strong..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2005, 01:41 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,368 Posts
Last test fit of the wing before it gets covered and glued...

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2005, 09:19 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,368 Posts
Here's the latest picture of the toy. I have a few more weeks of work on it then I'll be done...

RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2005, 02:54 PM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Now that looks very nice!!! Any updates?
...is there anything as far as thrust line you have to take into account when building a pusher. thanks
xterarc is offline Find More Posts by xterarc
Old Dec 07, 2005, 12:37 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xterarc
Now that looks very nice!!! Any updates?
...is there anything as far as thrust line you have to take into account when building a pusher. thanks

That was the last picture I took before heading out to Az. Now that winter is here things are slowing down.

To answer your second question... Sometimes. I've been very lucky so far not to have any adverse effects on my pushers *knocks on his head*. There is the possibility that the power source will push the nose of the aircraft down at full throttle. This is usually fixed by putting in a few degrees of UP thrust. Takeoff rolls are ALOT longer.
RCG Plus Member