HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:55 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
GWS BN2 Islander Motor Mounting - Here's how I did it!

I am working on a GWS BN2 Islander mainly because I like the Johnson 250 Brushed motor & think that the BN2 will be a excellent airframe for the J250 motors.
The first problem I ran into is that the GWS folks decided that the way to mount the stock motors was to screw the thin flimsy plastic cowling to the front of the motor & in effect just suspend the motors in the cowling & use just the cowling as a motor mount, how whacked is that? Anyway, I think I have found a better way to mount the motors more solidly. I gently filed the side of each of the motor indentations in the foam wing to accomodate a 1/8" Ply motor mount which I epoxied to the J250 motor, the mount is then firmly epoxied into the foam indentation. I calculated where the motor would be IF it were suspended in the cowling & that's were I hard mounted the motor. Now the flimsy foam cowling is just decorative & will just slide right over the motor & no one will know the difference.

Has anybody else hard mounted their BN2 motors? Anybody using the Johnson 250 motors in their BN2?

- Thanks -

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:37 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,976 Posts
Mike,
Very neat idea! I am putting this idea in my "great ideas to remember" book for my future BN-2 build. Looks clean and logical. How are you attaching the cowls now? Will they be removeable for easy maintainence?
Thanks for sharing.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2005, 08:36 AM
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2005
959 Posts
Here's some info on how I did mine and how others did thier's

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=bn2+
Travy is offline Find More Posts by Travy
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:28 AM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Hey Mike
Looks good! I plan on bringing my BN2 to the CSF field this weekend. I love the landings with my BN2. Under a little power it will grease right on in there. Are you going to make the nose wheel steerable?
cincy is offline Find More Posts by cincy
Old Oct 28, 2005, 03:14 PM
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,352 Posts
A nice, solid-looking setup. Good work!

--Doug
dk944s2 is offline Find More Posts by dk944s2
Old Oct 28, 2005, 07:57 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy
Hey Mike
Looks good! I plan on bringing my BN2 to the CSF field this weekend. I love the landings with my BN2. Under a little power it will grease right on in there. Are you going to make the nose wheel steerable?
Cincy:
I may stop out at the CSF field this weekend too but the wife has lots of chores lined up for me. Lately i have been having a lot of fun flying my GWS A10 with (2) Johnson 250 pusher motors. I do plan on making the nosewheel steerable, I love taxing out to the runway & taxing back & the nosewheel lets me make some corrections when taking of from the runway. My BN2 will be painted Cub Yellow & will hopefully end up looking much like the BN2 pictured below. Are you using J250's on your BN2? How heavy did yours end up? Are you using the rudder? I may just end up not cutting out the rudder for now & flying just aileron & elevator.

Ken:
I am just going to glue the cowlings on, I am not planning on doing much maintenance, I figure that with using the conservative EP-4025C props I should get pretty good motor life.

-Mike-
Old Oct 28, 2005, 08:47 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
I used the stock motors that came with my bn2 (I think they were 300s?). It has plenty of power. Probably the fastest stock gws plane I have flown. I did cut out and use the rudder. I'm not sure of the weight. I'll check it out later tonight and post the weight.

Heres a pic of mine. I hope to get to the CSF field tomorrow around 4pm. Try to sneak out if you can!!
Old Oct 28, 2005, 08:58 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Okay - weight on mine is 13.4oz without battery, 16.6 with a two cell 1900 mah lipo.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 09:39 PM
Ohh Snapp!
Joined Sep 2005
1,822 Posts
Cincy, we met at the CSF field last time you came. I don't know if you remember me, I was one of the younger guys.

We are usually there by 8am and gone by 1:30pm on Saturday, so if you can make it out earlier you could fly with more of the guys. If you can't, I could try to make it out later in the day, I'll have to see.

-Steve
CatchmyCorsair is offline Find More Posts by CatchmyCorsair
Old Oct 28, 2005, 09:59 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Hi Steve
Yeah you fly the super decath right? Unfortunately I can't make it out till later tomorrow. I could go early Sunday morning though.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:50 PM
Ohh Snapp!
Joined Sep 2005
1,822 Posts
Sunday morning will work. A few guys should be out there early also.
The Decathlon is old news now. I fly a Stryker on 3cell Lipo.
I think the Dec. motor is worn out, I couldn't get it to climb at all with a hand launch.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:51 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I am going to try & make it out to CSF sometime this weekend, either Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning but also a bunch of guys fly at Joyce Park on Sunday morning also.

-Mike-
Old Oct 29, 2005, 07:32 PM
Ohh Snapp!
Joined Sep 2005
1,822 Posts
Cincy and Mike,

I don't think many of the regular guys can make it out to the field tomorrow. Are you two still planning on going? If so, what time?
Old Oct 29, 2005, 07:51 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I plan on going out to the field (Sunday) on my way back from Joyce park about 10:30 AM, maybe 11:00 or so. I will have my Tiger Moth 400, 3DX, Ultimate Bipe & A10 Warthog. (This is as many as will fit in the car)

-Mike-
Old Oct 29, 2005, 07:59 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy
Okay - weight on mine is 13.4oz without battery, 16.6 with a two cell 1900 mah lipo.
Cincy:
That weight is Awesome! My A10 weighs almost 21 OZ with battery & nose lead & yet still flies pretty fast so I am pretty anxious to to get the BN2 completed, should fly like a scalded dog with the J250's!

-Mike-