SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2005, 07:25 PM
Joined Apr 2005
81 Posts
gwinn aircar

can somebody out there please help me find drawings or picturs of this strange bird
sackas-6 is offline Find More Posts by sackas-6
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2005, 08:07 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Hmmm... maybe... I'll start searching my old magazines. I think I have plans for a FF rubber model of it. (I know one of the old magazines at least has 3-views...)
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:54 PM
Joined Apr 2005
81 Posts
it would be awsome if you could find those articales
Old Oct 28, 2005, 03:57 AM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Results so far:

In November 1938 Flying Aces are 3-views which are to scale, but with no scale listed for building a solid model.

In December 1939 Flying aces I found a SMALL photo showing an almost front view of the aircraft.

Unfortunately, my scanner is not working However, I am attempting to get useful photos of the pages with my digital camera. The small photo is not comming out... and resizing so I can upload is not doing the full page photos any good...

BTW... Flying Aces later became Flying Models.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:07 AM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
I can remember there was an article about air racers in either AIRPOWER or WINGS back in the early 1980's which featured aircraft designers also. In the article was several pictures of the Gwinn, plus a discussion about the use. It got revised a few times before they gave up trying to produce it in quantity.

A fellow about one year ago sent me a web source with a WHOLE bunch of aircraft manufacturers noted. The Gwinn was noted there briefly and had a three view associated with the page.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Oct 28, 2005, 03:13 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Turns out those are the only 2 issues i have with info on the Gwinn.

24 ft span. the one in the picture you have (and the pictures I have) has no rudder, the fuselage is a dark blue, wings are natural aluminum color, Number on the wing is black, lettering on the fuselage is white.

This wasn't a "flying car" The wings do not fold or come off for driving on the road. (there were a bunch of people trying to make flying cars in the 30's and 40's though...) This was meant to be an economy airplane that the average family could afford, and just about anyone could figure out how to fly safely. (none of those ideas ever really worked out... something about any time you make something idiot-proof, they make a "better" idiot)
Old Oct 28, 2005, 06:26 PM
Joined Apr 2005
81 Posts
thank you both for your help. i think i can work with that drawing but if you could find that web source would also be cool
Old Oct 28, 2005, 06:51 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,406 Posts
Wasn't there a reference to the Aircar website on Thayer Symes' Free Flight Fantasy site?
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:55 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
unfortunately... I didn't get the magazine to lie flat... and I was using a camera instead of a scanner... its going to be a somewhat less than accurate model if done from the photo of the 3-view. If its just for your own building and flying pleasure... its good enough. If going for a scale competition its nowhere near good enough (and the 3 view by lacking a reference scale is invalid as competition documentation.)
Old Oct 29, 2005, 02:00 AM
Joined Apr 2005
81 Posts
i'm only doing this model for mysef as it itriges me .i love the strange and rare aircraft.this one gets built as soon as my lysander p.12 rubber power is done
Old Nov 01, 2005, 10:36 PM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
something about any time you make something idiot-proof, they make a "better" idiot)
OK, that explains some of the problems I've been having!
Jim
mosquitowings is offline Find More Posts by mosquitowings
Old Nov 01, 2005, 11:35 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,920 Posts
Gwinn Aircar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitowings
OK, that explains some of the problems I've been having!
Jim
This is the airplane that Frank Hawks was killed in when he hit some wires on take off. A very interesting aircraft.
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Nov 02, 2005, 09:20 AM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Condor.....

Best I can remember is the special issue magazine I had seen had something to do with Frank Hawks. There was a picture around of him standing in front of the A/C with two starlets, just minutes before taking off and crashing.

I think the original Gwinn design had a rudder similar looking to the original GeeBee R. Very small. It got larger and larger.

The little radial engine was something of an odd-ball if I remember also.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Nov 02, 2005, 12:10 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,920 Posts
The Aerofiles picture is the first one. The engine was a geared Pobjoy 90 hp (note the left turning props) later upgraded to the 125 hp Pobjoy Niagra and a second prop to handel the additional power (hence the 4 blades, actually one prop bolted in front the other).
It was a two control (no rudder pedals) airplane. There was a foot pedal (like a brake pedal in a car) tha lowered the flaps.
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Nov 03, 2005, 11:13 PM
Joined Apr 2005
81 Posts
awsome pics condor lots of detail questions answerd thanks alot know i need to go modify my plans