HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2005, 05:04 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
ST Model Wing build thread

ST Model from Taiwan produce an EPS 36" wing. I had the opportunity to build one of these to see what they were like and was pleasantly surprised.

The wing is made from EPS with spruce spars pre-installed in each wing panel. The elevons are pre-hinged and the kit includes everything to get the wing flying except for the radio gear, battery and ESC.

The only concern was that the wing was EPS rather than EPP but what the heck, we'll give it a go.
scotta is offline Find More Posts by scotta
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2005, 05:10 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
I didn't quite follow the instructions included with the kit. I did a little pre work on the wing halves to make for a little neater radio installation.

The servo leads were chased into the top of the wing and the receiver cutout enlarged a little for the R700 Rx. I used Naro sized servos but Naro Max are also suitable, both will fit in the factory cutout.

Up front the pre-cut battery compartment was a perfect fit for the Thunder Power 3s 730mAh battery but again an easy modification to use larger batteries.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 05:23 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
The instructions start by covering each wing panel with the supplied packing tape. I wanted a good contrasting colour scheme so I decided on a checker board pattern for the bottom - easy to decide that before spending the time to do it.

Prior to taping I ran some spanwise lengths (top and bottom) of fiber tape to add a little extra reiforcement to the wing. The spruce spar is probably fine but what the heck a little more can't hurt. I also ran a length of fibre tape along the LE as well.

The checker board was done with black book covering over taped with clear packing tape. Looks great but took an age to do. In contrast the top yellow was quick to do. I also covered the 3mm depron elevons to make them a little more ding resistant.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 05:24 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
The wing halves were then joined with epoxy and again two peices of fibre tape, top and bottom, across the join for a little extra stregth.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 05:27 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
The motor mounting plate and bearers where then installed as per the instructions. The GWS prop was installed on the motor (writing to the front of the plane) and the motor was cable tied into the wing. Easy...
Old Oct 27, 2005, 05:29 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
RC gear installed with double sided tape and the antenna taped over. The ESC is GWS new lipo safe ICS300Li.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 05:31 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Wing tips were then installed with 5min epoxy along with the velcro battery strap.

The hand grip / landing skid was also covered with tape and epoxyed in place.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 05:32 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
The completed wing ready to maiden. Hope she flys as good as she looks....
Old Oct 27, 2005, 05:43 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Elevon setup was very easy with the recommed relex set in each elevon. With the 730mAh lipo up front she balanced a little tail heavy. A few coins under the battery and she balanced out at 170mm from the nose. The manual says to balance at 160mm for first flights but I quite like a responsive plane so stayed with the aft CoG.

First flight resulted in a grin from ear to ear. I had a helper chuck her out and then I hit the trottle. The wing nearly went vertical!! Plenty of power in the "Turbo 370" motor and that little prop. No trim required and on the first flight I was putting her through its paces.

The wing is a great glider and need some encouragement to come down. To max her out a little down trim and she will pick up a heap of speed.

For the money I'm really happy with the ST Model Wing. The EPS construction is still quite strong and damage tolerant. Very stable but also very capable of high speed and aerobatic flight. I'll be keeping the radio gear in this one for a while yet..

Scott
Electric Orange
www.electricorange.com.au
Old Oct 27, 2005, 05:55 PM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
scotta

I got this wing too, but with a Hyperion x22 5000kv bl motor and a Hitec 3sp battery. That is fast, about double the speed of the original one. I also like this wing very much, it handles very easy and have a very good power off glide. With my setup it is pretty wild, and the vertical is rocket like, hehe, and as you mentioned good value for the money.
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
Old Oct 27, 2005, 06:32 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,768 Posts
EPS foam really is quite damage resistant once it's covered with tape, especially fiber reinforced tape. I've found this out flying (crashing ) my Wattage Hyperwing. EPS is probably all you really need in a foam plane unless you're learning to fly, doing combat, or trying stunts close to the ground.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:20 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
iceman3,

Sounds like an impressive setup. I take it you made your own motor mount to replace the plastic plate. A mate is building one of these now and is droping a AC DIY-VL brushless in. Should be fun.

Scott
Old Oct 28, 2005, 03:45 AM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
scotta

Yes it is great fun with this setup, but I must keep an eye on the elevons. I have ripped them off once, but the funny thing is that the wing then just spirals to the ground undamaged. Let me know how the DIY-VL motor works out, it should be fun with a hot cd-rom motor.
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
Old Oct 28, 2005, 08:41 PM
Sydney Rose Bay, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
22 Posts
Hi Guys,

Slaved hard last night working on my ST Model Wing trying to get it ready for flying today. Didn't quite make it, just need to complete the radio install and add some markings.

Tried covering mine in Profilm(Ultracote) would have come out better if I hadn't bumped the power up on the iron and shrunk some foam.

I expect it to be a bit heavier with the covering, but it is now one really stiff wing.

Would love to know the AUW of various setups.

I'll post some pics and a flight report when I've got it finished.

qM
quantumMechanic is offline Find More Posts by quantumMechanic
Old Nov 04, 2005, 10:34 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15 Posts
Well I'm the mate using the AC DIY-VL. The VL was wound a while ago to go in a stick using a GWS C gearbox. I wound it with 6 turns of single strand 0.71mm wire in a star configuration. In the gearbox it would pull about 11amps on a 3S pack with a 9x7 slowfly prop. With the prop from this kit, its pulling more than 14amps, I have seen 16 but I'm worried the fuse will blow in my multi-meter as it is only rated for 10. The ESC keeps cutting out about 3/4 throttle so I have had to back the throttle off so it doesn't go as high. This thing howls at full throttle. I'll have to get a tacho onto it.
Here is a pic. It should go vertical, I haven't maidened it yet as foul weather here but will be jumping into the skies this week.
TimG
TimG is offline Find More Posts by TimG