SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2005, 06:14 PM
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2003
1,526 Posts
Harbor Freight Bi-plane Free Flight

My dad sent me this Bi-plane from Harbor Freight. It weighs 2.4 oz. with motor and NiMh battery. Too windy for a maiden flight.

Anybody have one? Anybody convert one to r/c?
717 is offline Find More Posts by 717
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2005, 06:40 PM
Middletown, DE, United States
Joined Dec 2003
494 Posts
Hi B717,

Sure, I have one and so do lots of others. An Acro-Bipe by any other name!! Mine will soon be R/C. With appropriate trimming, they fly well free flight. There are several threads about conversion to R/C but, sorry I haven't got them bookmarked. For R/C, the stock motor is an amp hog. People have used IPS motors, actuators and servos in the conversion with great success. If you want to convert yours to R/C, don't lose it OOS freeflight first. It is a fun little airplane as a freeflight (my experience thus far).

Bick
Bick is online now Find More Posts by Bick
Old Oct 26, 2005, 06:55 PM
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2003
1,526 Posts
Hi Bick,

I should have searched before posting, as I found numerous threads on this little airplane. I'm going to keep it as a free flight. But the seed has been planted, so to speak, and now I'm thinking this would be a fun indoor r/c airplane.

This is the third Harbor Freight free flight plane I've received from my dad over the years. The first two consisted of a high-wing tail dragger (C-185 type) and a low wing sleek Glasair type. The Cessna was destroyed in a tree rescue event. The low winger was destroyed when I left it in the back seat of my wife's car. The latter seemed underpowered.

With two wings, I imagine this bipe should be livelier. And with today's sub-micro electronics, I'm starting to imagine an r/c conversion. I love r/c electrics!
Old Oct 26, 2005, 07:03 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi B717, check on this same page, just scoroll down, you wil find Funcraft Arobipe - same thing....
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Oct 26, 2005, 07:29 PM
Texas, Plano, USA
Joined Jan 2005
810 Posts
" With two wings, I imagine this bipe should be livelier." Most bi-planes have 2 wings
anestho is offline Find More Posts by anestho
Old Oct 26, 2005, 07:48 PM
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2003
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anestho
" With two wings, I imagine this bipe should be livelier." Most bi-planes have 2 wings

I'm slow, but I'll get there.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 10:34 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,611 Posts
Try one FF before you start cutting it up. They do pretty well.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2005, 10:43 PM
Phil Huffstatler
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Apr 2002
110 Posts
I converted one to the RFFS system. I still have one in FF trim. Neat plane.

phil in georgetown (and denver)
phuffstatler is offline Find More Posts by phuffstatler
Old Oct 28, 2005, 01:40 PM
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2003
1,526 Posts
I tried it FF and it's now MIA.

The winds were calm (honest) at launch. The bi-plane slowly climbed while performing left-hand circles. Then the morning breeze slowly developed into a soft ~3 mph; so the plane's wind circles slowly drifted away from my large open field toward a neighborhood. I wasn't worried until the plane was half way to the houses and getting pretty high. The motor still ran strong too. At times the wind might have reached 5 mph max; but who knows what they were aloft, if much. A couple of times Murphy reared his head, causing the plane to roll out staight, of course always on downwind.

The bi-plane circled its way several blocks into the housing area. At this point, I couldn't always see it, and was unable to pin point it descent path; plus I had a flight to catch and couldn't devote much time to searching.

Fun while it lasted. I can't believe how long that motor kept running on one charge. Considering the very light winds, this plane covered a lot of ground.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 03:23 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,611 Posts
Told ya it did good free flight. At least there wasn't any radio gear in it. It will prob. make some kid's day now.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member