HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2001, 05:39 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,700 Posts
FF conversion - Harbor Freight

Yesterday they opened a Harbor Freight store down the street, and they had this cute little electric FF for $12.98 and I don't have enough toys yet, so I got one. So far it has been way to windy to try to fly it. Now today in the mail comes my new GWS pico pack, and I don't have a plane yet to put it in, so I start to thinking. I have seen several posts about converting the Cox Viper FF and the Flyzone FF planes, and this one is about the same size, so I might give it a try. I like the idea of a pusher, and it even has a little foam rubber bumper on the nose just for pilots like me. If I put a V tail on it would look like a mini firebird.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43678
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2001, 05:50 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
Cool looking plane Jeff. Keep me informed on your progress. If it works, I might go get one too. drop a gws A geared motor and a 9x7 with one of my rayovac 9v and I bet it would scream
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17
Old Jul 26, 2001, 09:42 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Mar 2001
226 Posts
I have one I use stock for FF. It flys great. One minute plus flights.
I think you'll have a challenge keeping it light enough for RC. Good luck.
Fly_joy is offline Find More Posts by Fly_joy
Old Jun 09, 2008, 06:45 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
Harbor Freight...

Is a GREAT place to find C-H-E-A-P toys! (MY favorite kind! ) The small free flight planes are extremely do-able for r/c conversion. for a little incentive,. I'm posting some photos of My Harbor freight rechargable free-flight hang glider I converted to 2 channel r/c. It comes with the same set up that most of the free-flight electrics come with on the market...the rechargeable plug in batt 3V(I believe) motor. On the Hang glider, I scrapped the batt, batt box, all the electrics inside, and installed a GWS micro reciever, picco servo, and 7.2V Kokam 340ma LiPoly. The factory motor got really hot on 7.2 (that's why I think it's 3-something volt) So.. I scrapped it, and added a GWS 6V IPS direct drive motor (but retained the factory prop & spinner.. fits right on a IPS) and a heat sink. Going to post this now, & come back later for photos... storm coming, and I'm on diail-up (don't want to fry the modem! ) Bob
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Old Jun 09, 2008, 10:24 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
Storm's over!...

Ok,.. here ya go.. this one is pretty small, the sail is about 14"long x 20"wide.
I had to do a bit of rearranging with the cg.. but it flies nice & is a lot of fun!. So much so, I'm building a 60" span version from a stunt kite, (which most Harbor Freight stores carry for about $9.00) I bought the free-flight hang glider on sale for $7.99 a year or so ago..I think the regular price is $11.95.
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=91192
If you just keep things light & balanced I'm sure you'll be A-Ok. rudder only & throttle should do for any conversion. once you lose the battery box & that big chunky motor, you don't really add that much weight to them.. they just fly a bit faster than the free-flight version... Bob
Last edited by Demon-Leather; Jun 09, 2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2008, 10:31 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
I looked at your link...

That one looks to be an easy rudder-only conversion. Just add a center rudder ( leave the outboard rudders for a tri-rudder set up) and use a Sullivans "Golden Rod" sheathed cable down the boom. You can put the new batt & servo over the present cg. take the reciever antenna and scotch tape it flat across the wings,.. or at the back of the boom & let the rest fly!
The new center rudder will have lots of authority in that pusher prop slipstream..should be very manuverable for a rudder-only! Bob
Last edited by Demon-Leather; Jun 09, 2008 at 11:06 PM.