HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2002, 07:36 PM
Oxford, CT
Joined Sep 2001
136 Posts
Cutting wood for a scratch build...

I'm trying to figure out how to make nice square cuts for my first scratch project. My primary concerns is that the ribs are well formed.

So, any suggestions?
alaric is offline Find More Posts by alaric
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2002, 08:58 PM
The Original
Oklahoma City
Joined Feb 2002
55 Posts
alaric,

I'll start the suggestions out by saying....make sure you work from an accurate and stiff template; I normally make my rib templates out of 1/32" ply....also, always work with a good sharp #11 blade and change it frequently. They dull quicker than you think. Above all....take you time and be very patient I know sometimes the patience part still gets to me every now and then And I've been scratch building for many years.
Have a good one & stay cooool Jim
zebra is offline Find More Posts by zebra
Old May 20, 2002, 11:55 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,418 Posts
Alaric,
When I cut out ribs for a wing (a constant chord or straight wing) I just cut a whole bunch of rectangle shaped pieces of balsa from the appropriate thickness of balsa sheeting, then stack them, then draw the rib template on the top rib, then cut them out all at once with a bandsaw, or what I do, just take them to a stationary belt/disk sander. Then I cut any spar notches with a razor saw.

There you have it, perfect wing ribs in about 10 minutes. I usually do one wing panels worth at a time, otherwise the stack of ribs gets too thick. I just secure them all together with a few pins.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old May 21, 2002, 12:19 PM
Master Nursery Builder
Canton, GA
Joined Jan 2001
297 Posts
Yep, scrollsaw/bandsaw and a disk/belt sander.

I like this MUCH better than cutting out each individual rib with a knife.
The_Giver is offline Find More Posts by The_Giver
Old May 21, 2002, 11:44 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,418 Posts
With tapered wings its harder to do the method I described above, but is possible. It would be just as easy to cut each one for a tapered wing.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor