HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:10 AM
Dodge City, KS
Joined Nov 2004
50 Posts
GWS Pico J3 Cub - F

Is there a thread for the GWS J3 Cub - F going. I have looked and found a few short threads with specific questions and answers, but is there something like the "Beaver" or SS threads?
I was looking for component/battery choices, advice and mods

Thanks!
Steve
smhall is offline Find More Posts by smhall
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:21 PM
Mike
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Nov 2004
540 Posts
I have some experience with these little birds.

If you are going to use the stock IPS motor STAY LIGHT. Don't paint it or use very much tape or stickers. Use 7 gram or less servos. I used GWS Picos and the GWS 4 ch RX. Don't waste your money on a 2 amp ESC get a 5 amp ESC.

Best battery pack I have found is 7 cells of 2/3 length 350 mil AAA nimh. 6 cells of 2/3 AA is a dog.

It is a much better outside plane with more power. I used the GWS dual IPS motor. They are only about $23. It draws about 3.8 amps on a 8x6 gws prop. The Fieago 12mm bushless motor would be perfect for this plane.

Like all GWS airplanes, Z bends on both ends of the push rods is a pain. Put Dubro mini-EZ connectors on the servo ends. Don't glue the control hors in place until you have threade the Z bend thru them and push the control rod into the fuse. If you glue them when the instructions say to do it you will be talking to yourself.

The wing struts have a plastic clevis on each end that glue does not stick to well. After making up your struts cross pin the clevis to the bamboo strut. The strut attachment point on the wing also wants to come loose. Ruff up the foam and use epoxy.

The GWS Cub is very similar to the GWS Beaver. It just has a smaller fuse. Check out the Beaver thread "Canada's Latest Beaver". Those guys know their stuff.

Mike
Radiobum is offline Find More Posts by Radiobum
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:33 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I just ordered the cub, this will be my 3rd or 4th cub I've built, I have a friend that's been flying one for about 2 years now, I built his to, their very nice little planes, I don't see them getting the credit they deserve on here.

I'll be modding mine, I'm not sure quite yet what I'm going to do to it, I orderd the unpainted glider version because I want to paint it myself.

Stuart
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:50 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
I agree with Mike above, keep it light!! I run the 340-480mah lipo batts and didn't use the wood sticks for the wings, I used carbonfiber rods. I use them for trainers and fly them in the wind as well. A IPS twin motor or a 250 johnson in a 300 gearbox, works well. Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Nov 28, 2005, 07:39 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
I looked at these.. 15 bucks without motor!! wow.. so I wanted to know how to fit a 280 motor? Can I direct drive or would I need a gearbox?
Do they mount the same (stick type) and what prop would I use assuming I used a 280 and a 2s 1320 TP lippo

I use a 280 direct drive in my MiniPiper with the above lippo and it flies fine
Thanks.
Jeff
Headspin is offline Find More Posts by Headspin
Old Nov 28, 2005, 07:54 PM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
Small (IPS and 2S) and lightly built, how slow will it be compared to a TigerMoth?

I'd like something really small and light and slow for indoor flying. I don't do "golf dome" indoor flying with others (although I could try it someday). I just want something in my CrownVic trunk that I can fly at the occassional factory or showroom or warehouse I frequent. I've did that last winter with the IPS 2S700 TigerMoth and it scratched my itch until spring. I want to set up to do it again this winter...but always looking for something new.

CooHead
CooHead is offline Find More Posts by CooHead
Old Nov 28, 2005, 08:48 PM
gram obsessive
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2005
741 Posts
CooHead,
As already mentioned, keep it light. I hardwire my 2A ESC and skip the stickers and the rubber tires. I am using Apache 300 2S liPo's and I'd say my minimum airspeed is at least as slow as a TM. With polyhedral wings, it'll turn tight enough to fly indoors nicely.
T.B.
T.B. is offline Find More Posts by T.B.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 01:15 AM
Gravity is my downfall
El Mirage, Az.
Joined Oct 2003
733 Posts
I think I would build it stock with the stock motor. I use 300 mah nimh on mine and get about 12 to 15 min flights. You can always modify it later. With the slope glider version at $15, you won't get into the air much cheaper. This plane is very relaxing and easy to fly, and that is a big part of it's charm.

Ken
Tailspin Ken is offline Find More Posts by Tailspin Ken
Last edited by Tailspin Ken; Nov 29, 2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:18 AM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
Is the motor a "stick" mount?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:38 PM
Gravity is my downfall
El Mirage, Az.
Joined Oct 2003
733 Posts
The stock motor is a stick mount, if that is what you meant. It comes with the plane. If you get the slope glider kit, you will want the IPS "A" motor. Contact the folks at www.allerc and they will walk you through the whole process. The slope glider kit is unpainted. I use water base craft paint from Walmarts. I have found it for as little as $.44 a bottle. Use a foam brush to apply the paint.

Ken
Last edited by Tailspin Ken; Nov 29, 2005 at 08:27 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:10 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
Thanks Ken.. that's just what I needed to know
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:29 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,721 Posts
I just picked up my second Cub. This plane as lasted longer than any other that I've had, even with the kids flying it. I run a Feigao in a GWS A gearbox with a 8x6 prop or 9x4.7. Whats nice about that is it has enough power to thow what ever battery you have charged at the time and go fly. But mainly we run a 2 cell 1320 lipo. Whats nice about this setup as well is you can use older lipos that are not up to some of the higher amp draw planes we see flying out there. An old e-tec 1200 2 cell does nice. Loooonnng flights.

Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:52 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
Do you have to add weight to the nose with lighter batteries?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:45 PM
Gravity is my downfall
El Mirage, Az.
Joined Oct 2003
733 Posts
Ok Headspin,
This is where you get into mods. I do not use the GWS battery box. It is for the most part garbage that will not stay glued in place. Instead, I epoxy a piece if light balsa over the battery hole. Next I attach velcro to the battery and the the balsa strip. This will allow you to move the battery back and forth to acieve the balance point. If you look at the "Canada's Latest Beaver" threads most of the mods will apply, since the Beaver and J3 are very similar and use the same wing. Pay particular attention to wing attachment mods and landing gear mods. Ask questions on that forum and you will get a lot of answers and suggestions. All of the mods are easy to do and are based on the experiences of all the pilots that post there. The mods will make a good plane a lot better.

Good luck with you J3,
Ken
Old Nov 29, 2005, 09:21 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
Ok, Thanks