HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2005, 08:09 AM
Dodge City, KS
Joined Nov 2004
50 Posts
GWS Pico J3 Cub-F

Is there a thread for the GWS J3 Cub - F going. I have looked and found a few short threads with specific questions and answers, but is there something like the "Beaver" or SS threads?
I was looking for component/battery choices, advice and mods

Thanks!
Steve
smhall is offline Find More Posts by smhall
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:02 AM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
Its a very nice flying plane overall. I use one for taking a breather indoors between 3d flights with another plane.

Mine is close to stock except for the following: Made a carbon fiber full span wing spar. I used small diameter carbon rod, joined in the middle with a aluminum joiner tube thats bent to give the correct ( stock) amount of dihedral, and then just glued into place. The wing is unfoldable setup this way.

Power: whatever you do, stay light. The stock setup on 2s small lipo works pretty good, but I wanted a bit more power, so I used a C geared ips gearbox in place of the stock A geared one, and used a 3s 340 lipo. Amps are down, and durability and rpm are up.

Other than making sure you use all micro gear to keep weight down, thats about all it takes to make it into a very enjoyable plane.

Dean in Milwaukee
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Last edited by DeaninMilwaukee; Oct 25, 2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:09 PM
Marlborough, Massachussetts, United States
Joined May 2002
1,878 Posts
I have one too. It's a very nice relaxing flyer for times when there is little wind. If you don't add a strong spar to the wings like Dean, then make sure your struts are firmly attached. The plastic clevis came off one of mine the first time I flew the plane, which resulted in the wings folding. Now I have a servo screw through each of the plastic clevises on the ends of the struts, and they are nice and solid.

Mine is a bit overpowered with an old Astroflight 010 16 turn, 2S 950 Mah LiPo, and APC 6x4 prop. It flies about the same at half throttle as the stock motor/prop setup did at full throttle, but it is nearly silent. I routinely get 30 minute flights with this setup.

It flies just fine with the stock motor too. I originally used the stock motor, a 9x7 prop, and a 7 cell 300 Mah NIMH pack. I had some 20 minute flights with that setup, floating around doing lazy circles at half throttle or less. It glides surprisingly well too.
BrianRickman is offline Find More Posts by BrianRickman
Old Oct 25, 2005, 02:10 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,217 Posts
If you use the stock power setup, all should be well for indoor use. Do make sure the struts are securely glued.

If you decide you want to fly it outdoors, go to higher power, like a 130 motor, or even a 280 (both geared appropriately). Add a second strut that joins the original strut at the fuselage, and run it up to the wing about four inches behind the attachment point for the front strut. This will greatly reduce the tendency for wing flutter at high speed, and it will look more scale-like. Reduce the wing incidence by pack up the trailing edge of the wing at the fuselage by about 3/8" or more.

My outdoor version, with the above modifications, weighs about 10.5 ounces with Thunderpower 2S 1250 mAh Li-Po. It flies well in less than a moderate breeze.

Jim R
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Oct 25, 2005, 02:11 PM
Aerofever.net
Hong Kong Intl, Hong Kong
Joined Aug 2004
396 Posts
This one is using GWS 350C motor + gear C + 2 cells 1800mah + 9070 prop.

Quite esy to fly for beginner and power enough to do loop !!

If u want to be more powerful, try 350C + gear D + 3cells 1800mah + 9047 prop.
Albert_Moto is offline Find More Posts by Albert_Moto