HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:50 AM
Kalamaki, Greece
Joined Mar 2004
317 Posts
Question
whats the best single strator cdrom you ever made?

I've been making home made cdroms for my planes for about a year now.
I'm mostly doing single *** EDIT gobrushlless type *** strators, 22.7mm for my 150-170 grams (AUW) 3D planes, delta wind for 2S packs.
The best performance I've managed so far is :

- 300 grams of thrust @ 7 amps with a 8040 GWS HD prop, and
- 380 grams of thrust @ 10amps with a 7035 GWS HD prop.

What is the best single you have ever made for 3D flying?
Did you notice any significant improvement by using curved magnets instead of flat ones?
Also, did using double or triple strands of wire instead of a single wire give an overall improvement?
thenetpoet is offline Find More Posts by thenetpoet
Last edited by thenetpoet; Oct 25, 2005 at 10:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2005, 09:54 AM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenetpoet
I've been making home made cdroms for my planes for about a year now.
I'm mostly doing single strators, 22.7mm for my 150-170 grams (AUW) 3D planes, delta wind for 2S packs.
The best performance I've managed so far is :

- 300 grams of thrust @ 7 amps with a 8040 GWS HD prop, and
- 380 grams of thrust @ 10amps with a 7035 GWS HD prop.

What is the best single you have ever made for 3D flying?
Did you notice any significant improvement by using curved magnets instead of flat ones?
Also, did using double or triple strands of wire instead of a single wire give an overall improvement?
It all depends upon the stator design. The gobrushless stators start to heat really quick if you exceed 50-60 watts input, the komodo stators can take up to 120 watts. Your best bet to judge have you are doing is to plug the data in motorcalc - if you are hitting 80-85% eff - you are doing very well.

Multi-stands will do you no good, unless you are attempting to wind really thick wire (<20awg) - then it is just a matter of ease of winding. Multi strands will decrease copper fill and generally increase heat.

Curved magnets may provide better efficiency, as long as the gap is not increased. Stronger mags are better bang for the buck, unless you are using N50's already. Are you just looking at total thrust or prop speed for your criteria? I would assume thrust since you are '3Ding' - in which case I think you are doing just fine for a standard type of stock CD motor.

Off course if you want to diverge from DD, wind one 8 turns 22AWG and put it in a gear box - that will open entire new possibilities for ya.
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:38 AM
Kalamaki, Greece
Joined Mar 2004
317 Posts
Thank you for your answer.
My question was intended to compare my motors performance to other similar motors so that I see if there is room for improvement.
My strators are the gobrushless type and I found out (as you also mentioned) that 70W is almost the safest maximum per strator without fear of shorting the wires or damaging the magnets.
I'm mostly interested in thrust because of 3D and generally I decided to avoid gearboxes (at least for now) and stay DD because of the extra components and noise of the gearbox. That said, I'm following the "cdrom and gearbox" thread to keep up to date with what is possible and perhaps at a later time I'll experiment with a GB.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:44 AM
ProBro # 501
Austin Tx
Joined Jul 2005
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenetpoet
Thank you for your answer.
My question was intended to compare my motors performance to other similar motors so that I see if there is room for improvement.
My strators are the gobrushless type and I found out (as you also mentioned) that 70W is almost the safest maximum per strator without fear of shorting the wires or damaging the magnets.
I'm mostly interested in thrust because of 3D and generally I decided to avoid gearboxes (at least for now) and stay DD because of the extra components and noise of the gearbox. That said, I'm following the "cdrom and gearbox" thread to keep up to date with what is possible and perhaps at a later time I'll experiment with a GB.
Can you post the link for the gearbox/cdrom thread you have been following.??

Boss
Boss248 is offline Find More Posts by Boss248
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:15 AM
Joined Jun 2004
2,231 Posts
GBx1/23T/26g/Y/3s/9x5DD = 480g @ 8.5A
Malves is offline Find More Posts by Malves
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:44 AM
Kalamaki, Greece
Joined Mar 2004
317 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...cdrom+gearbox+
Old Oct 26, 2005, 04:15 PM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
Just for clarity, in case any newbies are following this thread, the word is "stator" not "strator."

- Jeff
galloping gimp is offline Find More Posts by galloping gimp
Old Oct 27, 2005, 01:38 PM
jj1
Finland
Joined Oct 2004
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malves
GBx1/23T/26g/Y/3s/9x5DD = 480g @ 8.5A
Thats a nice GBx1, Malves,

have made only 1 GBx1 sofar: 19T/24g/Y.
Little more thrust but also more wasted energy ...
...heats little with 8" props at long periods WOT.
Kv ~1700

Readings below from cold motor.

Volt Amp Thrust Prop
11,2V 4,8A 350g 0735
11,8V 10,0A 560g 0804
10,6V 10,0A 550g 0843 eff ~64%

-JJ
jj1 is offline Find More Posts by jj1
Old Oct 27, 2005, 02:21 PM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
Malves -
Very nice!

I have GBv single stator with the same wind. I know it won't be as good as your GBx, but it will be interesting to see how it compares. I have not measured its performance yet.

All of my GBx motors have been double stators, which are dandy motors.

- Jeff
galloping gimp is offline Find More Posts by galloping gimp