HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:44 AM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Echo,
Nice conversion!
For others - it is better to cut front oppening as close to strouts as possible to get a good access to the battery. My aileron servo is very close to the wing spar - the mounting piece of it is inbedded under the spar - moving this servo forward gives you better access to the middle section of the fuse facilating the way to go with the battery this way etc.
Monkey, the Echo's plane was rubber powered - the little hole in the bottom is for rubber change. You can hold the cowl piece by rubberband or just piece of tape but the more elegant and easy way is to glue into the styro small magnets - you can get them in Radio Shack.
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:03 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,693 Posts
Thanks guys-it is an easy plane to convert and flies well if kept light.

Agree it would be better to cut further back into the front turtle deck for battery access. If I had another I would do it that way. I widened out the bottom hole and use that for the battery-the 250 packs fit perfectly there and are held with a little bit of velcro. It also balances well with the battery at that location.

The balsa in the nose basically holds the motor in place-once the top is put on and secured on the sides with tape the motor is actually pretty snug. I kind of sanded and whittled the balsa shims until I got the motor in the right position. I also use a small piece of tape over the top of the motor to keep it in place.

Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Dec 14, 2005, 07:17 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,164 Posts
Hey echo,

How bout a flight report? Im curious on how it fly's on the weight you have. Janusz stated that the extra weight helped it in the wind. I can't wait to maden mine.

Happy Flying!!!
helipilot is offline Find More Posts by helipilot
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:08 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,164 Posts
Attempt #1,

What goes up, must come down.
What goes up and must come down and may come down hard. I have a little repairing to do but Im happy with the flight or lack of flight so far. The little gearbox just does not have the power to keep the bipe aloft. Last night I installed the IPS50 back in and did a few other repairs as well. So, as soon as it stops raining, yes I said rain I will make another attempt. I also found out that the depron material Im using for ailerons has a very shiny finish and tape will not stick to it. Im going to change this too. Pretty neat little plane though, Im still happy with it. it looks really neat in the air, well the little time it was in the air.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!
Old Dec 25, 2005, 01:20 PM
Monkey Do
Plano, TX
Joined Apr 2004
1,101 Posts
I did the rare Earth magnets on my hatch the other night and those things are amazing!! Very stong for such a little magnet. And they were less than $2.00 for the Pr. I had to get 6 Pr for other planes. There's got to be more uses for these things.

My bipe is ready to fly and I'm waiting for a calm day or someone to let me fly in their hanger. I'll report on my maiden then it happens.

MS

PS While at Harbor Freight yesterday I picked up a little FF hang glider. This will be my next RC conversion. Can't wait to get it home.
MonkeySee is offline Find More Posts by MonkeySee
Old Dec 25, 2005, 02:08 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,164 Posts
Hey Monkey,

Let us know how the maiden go's. Im also waiting for a break in the weather. Seems whenever the weather is nice, my planes are not ready to fly, and when they are, the weather is bad. Oh well, that's Michigan for ya.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 03:26 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,534 Posts
Hey no wind today, just some rain. I've been "trimming" the aero aces that the kids got for Christmas. They are foam so why not. It isn't going to warp if it get a little wet.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:12 PM
USA, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Sep 2004
47 Posts
Tim do you want to fly your bipe out doors?
I have built a Harbor Freight bipe with a diy brushless motor and fullhouse radio.
she came in at 4.4 OZ. The wing is depron 3mm copy of top wing , top and bottom
with 1/2" wide alerons on top and bottom. she flys awesome!