SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2005, 05:26 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Manish,
everything looks good BUT watch out the tape on the wing and elevator! The paint under the tape peels off very easy - it is much better to peel this pait of and glue the tape directly to the foam. Ask me how I know it! :-) You can use the tape from Zagi - it is very good as a covering and hinge at the same time -light and strong.
Happy Maiden!
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2005, 06:07 PM
Monkey Do
Plano, TX
Joined Apr 2004
1,101 Posts
This IPS50, is this GWS? I can't find this on the GWS site. Can someone send me a link?
I saw one of this style motors that was smaller and was fitted to a round dowel. Does anyone know of this motor?

I have a gear box off a Pico Stick but I can't see how this will fit in this little plane. Is this the "IPS50"?
MonkeySee is offline Find More Posts by MonkeySee
Old Dec 09, 2005, 06:59 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Monkey,

Check this. By itself, the motor is a EDP-50.'

http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...stem/edp50.htm

Janusz,

Thanks for the tape tip. Yupp, already starting to come off. I have some time to repair as the snow storm is past but the wind is here now. We recv'd 5" where I live. I can begin smoothing my snow runway now.
My 6 year old son wanted to start building the Slowstick model today so we been doing that today. Good fun.
helipilot is offline Find More Posts by helipilot
Old Dec 09, 2005, 08:37 PM
Monkey Do
Plano, TX
Joined Apr 2004
1,101 Posts
helipilot, I noticed that you filled in the open area on the bottom of the fuse between the ailerons. With this filled in how are you going to get air flow over your motor and ESC?

I'll go pick up an EDP-50 in the morning. Can I use the prop that came with the bipe on the motor? It looks a little more scale.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 02:18 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Hi Monkey,

Yes, I filled in the open area. Im not too worried about airflow through the fuse for cooling. I have seen other bipes that are fully closed up with no problems.

Can you use the original prop, I have seen them used but cut down a bit. I think it's too much prop for the ips50, but cutdown it should be ok. Check Janusz' reply's under this thread. I think he talks about it.

How is the conversion going?
Last edited by helipilot; Dec 11, 2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 09:48 AM
Monkey Do
Plano, TX
Joined Apr 2004
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipilot
....How is the conversion going?
I thought I was going to maiden it this weekend at a local Santa Cops toy drive fun fly. But alas, the LHS on the way there wouldn't open 25 minutes early for me to buy the motor. Even though I knew exactly what I wanted and was paying cash. (sigh)
So I had to buy it on my way back. Then my weekend was filled with Christmas and family stuff. And the motors just sit in the bag I brought them home in.

I picked up both the 50 DD motor and an LPS-A setup. I don't know which motor I'll put in this bipe but the other motor will go in the other bipe. I'll try to post pics tonight of my progress up to this point. Looks pretty basic so far. My cat got a hold of my rudder servo and bit through the neg wire on the lead before I saw what he was playing with so this one will be T-A-E only until I can get another servo. And that one was brand new too. The weight at the HS with LPS setup (still in pkg) and 2c 400 LIPO was 4.2 oz. How does that sound for weight?

On my bipe after I got the Horiz stab glued on I noticed that it was skewed to the left. Then I remembered that Janusz had his skewed also. I thought Janusz' was a building error until I glued mine. Then I saw that Dretw had his skewed a little too. Must be a placement flaw in the little blue plastic piece that is already glued to the fuse. I'll remove this and reposition on my next bipe. But it's my experience that a square plane doesn't fly that well anyway.

Mike
Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:02 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Hi Mike,

I think the weight is about where Janusz had his at. He said the heavy weight helped it fly well in the wind. Mine is at 2.4 oz w/o batt. so far. I haven't recv'd my LiPo's yet so I do not know the final weight. Im going to fly mine with a little 50mah NiCd pack as soon as the weather breaks. I was hoping to fly it yesterday, but snow flurries blowing sideways kept me grounded. I can't wait. Let ya know when I do and how it go's.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 01:46 PM
Monkey Do
Plano, TX
Joined Apr 2004
1,101 Posts
Quote:
...Im going to fly mine.... Let ya know when I do and how it go's.
Vid and Pics? (you knew I'd ask)
Old Dec 12, 2005, 05:46 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
All right Monkey,

I will get you that video as soon as I can. Us northerners aren't as fortunate as some of us who live in warmer climates. I paved the driveway, I mean the runway for landing the little guy when the window of opportunity arises. I think the cold air +4 deg F will help flight, what do you think? It's friggin cold I think the Arctic is warmer than Michigan right now!!!

How bout some pics and vid's from you Monkey? Come on come on, let's see it!!!
Old Dec 12, 2005, 06:01 PM
Frozen Polarbear
Alta, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
377 Posts
Quote:
All right Monkey,

I will get you that video as soon as I can. Us northerners aren't as fortunate as some of us who live in warmer climates. I paved the driveway, I mean the runway for landing the little guy when the window of opportunity arises. I think the cold air +4 deg F will help flight, what do you think? It's friggin cold I think the Arctic is warmer than Michigan right now!!!

How bout some pics and vid's from you Monkey? Come on come on, let's see it!!!
I think you have right We here in Alta North of the polarcircle we have + 20 deg F right now...

I have been following this thread and think I will order some of theese planes...
After I have finishing building all the others I have lying arround (2 Cox micro warbirds, a SAAB Viggen, 2 Toonracers, one P38 micro and one B29 micro) It will take some time...

Cheers
Tore
purple is offline Find More Posts by purple
Old Dec 12, 2005, 07:26 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Welcome Tore,

Thanks for following this thread. You will find a lot of usefull information thus far about this little Bi-plane. I would certainly suggest ordering some as they are a lot of fun to convert to RC. I purchased a few myself with intentions on modifying and making them fly well. What fun it is!!!

Your temps are warmer than what we have here in Michigan USA. It is very very cold. The tires on my car stuck to the driveway this morning as I was leaving for work. BUT, the cold air makes these little airplanes fly very well, even if they are a little on the heavy side.

Keep in touch with your project!!!

Manish
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:52 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Guys,
Finally I have got a moment to check how you are doing with your projects.
Couple of thoughts: Monkey - 4.2 oz -uff, that is a lot - it is like mine - 4 1/8 oz but my is with Feigao and 730 mAh that gives a lots of power. Surely, it will fly at this AWU but it will fly fast and with "authority". Make sure to use GWS 3x3 prop, the 3x2 that very often come with the motor in one package are worthless in this application.
He...he..., guys, you found that my stab is little skewed.... good eyes you have! You are right! Somehow flies like that straight from my hand and I do not have to touch sticks for good 5 sec or more....making all "purists" little pist off. I would strongly recomend to you to build the ailerons from 1/32 ply ...it gives a lots of stiffeness to the wing and makes the to keep shape during flying.
Sorry to hear about the bad weather you have. Yesterday I flew 1/2 hour on 730 battery in really balmy skies. After that I tossed my Organic just to find that thermals vere little spotty to my taste. Do not ask me for video! I do not want to offend anybody - just this braging should be enough.
Have fun!
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Dec 13, 2005, 01:19 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,840 Posts
Pulled the old acro off the wall this weekend and put in a Feigao dd with 3x2 prop. Using 2cell 250 packs auw came to 3.1oz-about the same as the brushed version I first flew. First version had pico servos; this one has sub micro 3 g servos. Also replaced the metal elevator push rod with carbon fiber. Had a couple of good flights-nice little plane; I am glad I kept it around.

Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Dec 13, 2005, 07:12 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Hi Echo,

Nice looking bipe! Im happy to see this thread is pulling in HF/Acro bipe owners. It is even sparking interest in those who started their bipes but never finished. The push for mine came from Janusz. Let us know how the bipe fly's!!!!

Manish
Old Dec 13, 2005, 08:22 AM
Monkey Do
Plano, TX
Joined Apr 2004
1,101 Posts
Echo, the little hole in the bottom of the fuse at the tail of your bipe... did that come stock or did you cut that out? What's all the wood in the front of your bipes nose? Is all that functional? Lastly, what holds your upper cowel piece on the plane in flight?

MS