SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:33 PM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
510 Posts
My bipe is from Hobby King and it has been languishing on my bench for about a year. It has their usual 5 gram outrunner that unfortunately arrived with a bent shaft which I have managed to bend back to fair straightness. Still gives a little vibration though. I have bought lots of gear from HK and this is the only instance where things have been unsatisfactory so I can't complain. I have made the common mod of cutting off the fin/rudder and fixing it to the lower fuselage. The wing struts are glued to the upper wing but are attached to the lower wing by bendy wire U pieces that fit through the strut plates and holes in the wing that are reinforced with 1/64 ply. By unbending the wires, the upper wing and fuselage can be easily removed togther giving access to the RC gear, etc. I'm sure that something like this (or better) would be described in this enormous thread, but I'm too lazy to read through it all! The weight of my version is about 55 grams with a 2s 120mah battery (probably change to 200mah later). The servos are a mix of a HK 2.5 gm and 1.7 gm linear I happened to have spare. I will report on maiden.

ps I hope it flies as well as the HK Cessna that I converted to biplane mode some time ago: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...118365&page=37 (see post 551)
Peter Mack is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Last edited by Peter Mack; Dec 02, 2011 at 04:00 AM. Reason: ps
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 05:49 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,110 Posts
very nice peter let us know how it flys!

http://youtu.be/lvJwh-BNYCk

this is my acro with ailerons. video isnt great but shows the aileron/attempts for rolls/loops. video is more tolerable around 1:50 as my camera woman left the camera zoomed the whole time lol
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Dec 04, 2011, 03:00 PM
United States, NM, Truth or Consequences
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
It Fly's

Used the brick, motor and gearbox with prop from one of my Hobbyzone Champs and it fly's very well. Just using rudder an elevator. It is not a speed demon and does not do loops or rolls with a 300 Mah 3.7 V battery

Jim
jimbocopter is online now Find More Posts by jimbocopter
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Mar 2006
895 Posts
Will a vapor brick power one of these?
mr badwrench is offline Find More Posts by mr badwrench
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:36 PM
T A C
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Sep 2003
587 Posts
One Cell Setup

AUW with 1 cell 160mah LiPoly: 49g
Airplane Kit with C05 BL motor and all other components from Hobby King. 1.5g servos, 2g DSM2 Rx, 5A ESC. 4.5 x 3 prop.
Removed all double sticky tape and supplied plastic parts (wing spar, stabilizer connector, LG mount. Cut LG weight in half. Used .020 CF push rods. Kept the wing struts but thinned them some. Made the full canopy into a windshield.
Flies great !
I built 3 of these years ago when Harbor Freight had them. Didn't have lightweight components back then. What a difference !
zzonie77 is offline Find More Posts by zzonie77
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:55 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
mine flew with bad cg AUW 58 grams, .7 g 1S esc and hyperion 240. r415 and hk 5320. slow, underpowered, but still fun.
nemoskull is online now Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:06 PM
USA, AZ
Joined Jun 2010
358 Posts
Cool Yes fun! here is my bipe I got, didn't know its the similar to gt hobby king, Very nice with a park 250, straight vertical etc.Before 250 I had a 5 gram Hk, 2 cell its still 2 cell with 10amp esc. here is video.. my fpv cam, is in the way of rudder air flow. But still had that good fun with the craft.:
AcroBipe Speaks (6 min 55 sec)

Thanks for watching. Looking forward to building more.
Tom
Tankogen is offline Find More Posts by Tankogen
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:21 PM
AMA 983978
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2011
221 Posts
I'm a VERY late comer to the party, but just picked one up and will be using the guts from a v1 Beast. Any tips?
MikePS is offline Find More Posts by MikePS
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:28 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
the foam is very soft. look at it too hard and it will dent.
this thing flys fine as a two channel, but can be waaay over powered too.
nemoskull is online now Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:03 PM
USA, AZ
Joined Jun 2010
358 Posts
Ah some posts! hello all. The foam yeah, wings tuff. I don't tape these wings up seem alright with my crashes. Fuselage cracked though once, hard hit to ground and taped with hot glue. I cant explain, but its flying characteristics are unique- or me and just models BEEN flying and used to. I'ld like to buy another sometime.
Tankogen is offline Find More Posts by Tankogen
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:26 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,216 Posts
I got one of these from Nitroplanes.com. It languished in my shop for several years, because I couldn't figure out how to stuff the servos, speed control, and receiver into the fuselage, along with the 2S battery. Finally, I scrapped that idea and installed a Champ brick and motor. It's a bit heavy at 44 grams, but it flies acceptably for me. It's a bit fast for flight in a single basketball court.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:50 PM
United States, VA, Toano
Joined Jan 2013
13 Posts
hello everybody i love your funcraft acro bipes! would anybody know where i could buy a couple of these models??would really love to experiment with the air frame.i tryed hobby king and nitro planes.none in stock
Chris 87 is offline Find More Posts by Chris 87
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 87 View Post
hello everybody i love your funcraft acro bipes! would anybody know where i could buy a couple of these models??would really love to experiment with the air frame.i tryed hobby king and nitro planes.none in stock
I too tried to get them from hobby king when I went for mine a while back but they were out of stock as well. I posted an ad in the classifieds and had two people message me within an hour. Couldnt hurt to post a want ad over there! Good luck and stick with it, this plane is a blast
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:49 PM
United States, VA, Toano
Joined Jan 2013
13 Posts
Thank you very much!now have 4 of them on the way in the mail!i tryed the HK acro bipe a while back and when i had asked for advise on the CG my reply was the center of the top wing...well i guess who ever used that method didnt have the batt in the airplane because mine was way to tail heavy and crashed first attempt..a little 5min epoxy on the wings.then i had tryed 1/8th inch back from LE on the lower wing with batt in the model and it flew great!the plane is in bad shape from first attemptand i really like all the mods yall have come up with so now looking foward to the new planes to arive
Chris 87 is offline Find More Posts by Chris 87
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:30 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,110 Posts
Dang! Where did you score 4? might have to find one for myself with all this talk
RCG Plus Member