HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2005, 09:26 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Hi Janusz,

From your experiences with the bipe, Im happy to say that Im not too worried about the weight anymore. However, I know that this little guy would fly really well the lighter it is. Mine will be on the porky side so it will do well in the wind which I will then be able to fly almost everyday here. Im from the old school where you must kepp the plane as light as possible. That's hard habit to shake sometimes.
helipilot is offline Find More Posts by helipilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2005, 09:48 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
I realise that these fly well at almost unbelievable weights. A really big plus for this plane and its designer as well. Not to mention the end users!They do especially well outside in moderate wind as well. A real plus to be sure.
I was simply answering the question at hand in an effort to be helpful.
In a forum such as this building light and even lighter is benificial.
As for helipilots plane, weight saved in one instance can be used elsewhere such as a heavier battery, thus more possible fly time.

I hope I was able to help in some way.

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Dec 05, 2005, 07:00 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Hey Robert,

You are correct. In this forum, weight saved in any area is beneficial. And as I learned from you, there is a wire out there that I can use on
"beta version #2" that may be the indoor version of the HF Bipe I build/create. I certainly am greatful for your idea's as well as all others that have posted so far on this topic. I hope we get more hints and suggestions as I want to keep this thread going. I will certianly post my findings as well as I gain more experience with this great little airplane.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 05, 2005, 07:55 PM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts

If you go to the Blue arrow website they have instructions on making their 3.6g servo lighter. Thats how I knew of these mods. there are others that save even more weight. I just chose to mention the 2 biggest culprits that make the biggest difference.
Robert
Old Dec 05, 2005, 08:17 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Awsome!!! I want to hear more idea's from you Robert. Im trying to make another bipe into a gym flyer, so the weight saving techniques are much appreciated. Im new to the micro plane scene so any help is alway's helpful. I know servo's are a big factor in weight as well as the motor. I installed a GWS IPS50 motor in the bipe and it tipped the scale. Once I fly a heavy bipe, i will know better how I want the plane to fly and go from there. My bipe Im working on is my "beta" version right now so Im not afraid of modifying it up to get the results I want. I noticed my ailerons are a bit fat in thickness so I will be sanding them down a bit. that should shave some more weight.
Old Dec 05, 2005, 09:23 PM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
I am not the Guru you seek! I am glad to share what I know. If it is helpful then great. are youe 3.6g servos Blue Arrow? If so there have been some complaint that some have centering problems.
That problem might be solved here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449223

Robert
Old Dec 05, 2005, 09:49 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Oooh sweet!!! Thanks! Yupp, 3.6g Blue Arrow. I will check the centering on them as I go through them. Thanks for the tip!
Old Dec 06, 2005, 10:07 AM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
Say, when you fellows get those Blue Arrows fixed in your bipes, do let me know how you mounted them, won't you?

I've never purchased Blue Arrow servos because of the wires protruding from the bottom of the case like they do. I use BlueBirds or Cirrus' because they have the wires coming from the front of the servo, and I can use double-sided foam tape to stand the servo on its bottom inside the airplane.

I guess I could fasten the elevator servo on its side, but I can't exactly do that with the aileron!
bykrdan is offline Find More Posts by bykrdan
Old Dec 06, 2005, 05:13 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Hey there Bykrdan,

My blue arrow 3.6g servo's came with the wire protruding from the bottom of the servo. But, there is shrink wrap that holds it tight to the bottom of the case and exits like a hs-55 or equivilant servo leads would. So far, the cycles I have put mine through have not had any centering problems. Maybe they fixed that problem on subsequent servo's.

I used thin double sided sticky tape to fasten the servo to the side of the HF Bipe fuse. Another way I was thinking is to mount the servo at the back of the fuse near the tail much like the large nitro 3D servo's are mounted. By doing this, you could cut the opening slightly smaller than the case and press fit the servo in. Not a lot of torque here so no need to fasten down with nails!
Last edited by helipilot; Dec 07, 2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2005, 12:22 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
OK, the elevator servo is in, the bottom wing has been glued in place, the aileron servo is in place, and the pushrods for the ailerons and top wing are going on tonight!!! Lookout sky, here comes another HF Bipe!!!
This little thing is SWEET!!!
Old Dec 07, 2005, 12:50 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
I believe you're going to like the plane - I've gone through two, and as soon as I get done with my Knight Twister, I'm thinking there's a third on the way!

Thanks for the insight with the servos. I did think about just imbedding them in the fuse. I think that would work well for rudder and elevator...

Dan.
bykrdan is offline Find More Posts by bykrdan
Old Dec 07, 2005, 01:46 PM
Monkey Do
Plano, TX
Joined Apr 2004
1,101 Posts
I'm going to start my conversion on Friday night. I'm going to use BA servos also. And the little BA receiver.

Can you guys post some more pictures of construction to help me out? Equ placement, hatch cut-outs, antenna placement and the like.
Also, where is the CG on this thing?

Thanks
MonkeySee is offline Find More Posts by MonkeySee
Old Dec 07, 2005, 04:06 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Check the post #12....
CG on my is just behind the spar on the upper wing
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Dec 07, 2005, 05:06 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Bykrdan,

Your right, I think I am going to like this little guy. After instaling the lower wing, I sat back and looked at it and it sort of resembles a Pitts. The wings are curved at the tips just like the Pitts. Hmmmmmmm

My next version will incorporate the elevator and rudder servo's in the fuse aft of the canopy. The pushrods will be outside the fuse similar to Janusz' design. Im planning on trying extreme lightness on he next. But, I must get through version 1 first. I performed some taxi tests in the basement today with the N20 motor gearbox. Looks like I may have to go back to the ips50. We'll see how it goes on Friday.
Old Dec 08, 2005, 10:38 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Here it is!!! All done....for now. I think Im going back to the ips50 motor for more power. The added power will carry the extra weight no problem.