SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:32 AM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Congratulations on your maiden!
It is good to know that Acro will fly on such a light set up!
IMHO this airframe is great to use for experimentation. If you build "straight and true"
and set up the CG right way it will fly very well, forgiving, w/o any tipstalling or other
bad manners.
Keep the Acro flying!
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:37 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,105 Posts
haha shes as straight and true as I could build I have a little too much weight in the nose as I have to fly at about mid stick to keep the nose up. Overall power from the champ setup isnt too bad. Its not going to scream but it does low and slow well and can move pretty quickly at full throttle. Just no crazy aerobatics as the motor just doesnt want to pull up.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:43 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,361 Posts
Congrats noob. Hope to follow your example soon. Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:36 AM
United States, NM, Truth or Consequences
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTCAKE View Post
jimbocopter,

I have one new in the box! pm me if you'd like to have it, it's yours. (cause I know that I will never get around to building it)
Keith
Thank you for the plane
hope to get it setup and in the air soon, going to try a GWS 50xc direct drive motor with a 3x3 prop
jimbocopter is offline Find More Posts by jimbocopter
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:39 AM
United States, NM, Truth or Consequences
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_noob View Post
haha shes as straight and true as I could build I have a little too much weight in the nose as I have to fly at about mid stick to keep the nose up. Overall power from the champ setup isnt too bad. Its not going to scream but it does low and slow well and can move pretty quickly at full throttle. Just no crazy aerobatics as the motor just doesnt want to pull up.
I see you sold the champ brick and motor setup, what do you plan to try next?
jimbocopter is offline Find More Posts by jimbocopter
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:13 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbocopter View Post
I see you sold the champ brick and motor setup, what do you plan to try next?
a 2s brushless setup when I can afford it lol. For now I am putting my ar6400 in it with the p51 motor just to keep it flying
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:56 AM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
I have one coming!!!
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:00 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitpilot View Post
I have one coming!!!
nice. this is one of my favorite projects so far. flys really well with the slow champ setup. its actually a bit faster than I had anticipated on such a small motor/rx setup. post pics when you start!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:52 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,105 Posts
so have ailerons been deemed a big no for this plane? or was that a different thread I was reading lol... I would LOVE to see this thing do some rolls. I saw yours Janusz Jawien on like the first page and saw ailerons on the bottom wing only? Any recommendations? flew my little champ all day and kept trying to do some rolls. welp I am going to try after dinner to incorporate my ar6400l and some ailerons in this bad boy wish me luck lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:49 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,105 Posts
well my bipe is in absolute horrible shape lol but its still been a heck of a lot of fun as it was my first build ever. flew great with a champ rx/p51 motor but I ended up getting rid of that for funds for another project. I would reallllly like to pick up another one to rebuild from scratch as the one I have was already modified when I got it, just didnt have any electronics but I have no clue where to find one these days and dont want the hobbyking version. anyways heres my attempted ailerons/tail setup from my 4site with my ar6400l. the long throw servos were a bit of a pain but with a cut here and a cut there everything has room to move. ailerons also came off of my 4site and I am guessing they are wayyyy too big but figured I would start from there. hope to get it out tomorrow its actually 7 full grams lighter than with my champ gear and the way I had that setup.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:53 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,361 Posts
Success, mostly

Finished my little Bipe last night, but the wx looks to be horrible for the next several days. A little bit of calm this morning, HAD to maiden it. The area I have at the house to fly is too small, with trees, a river and a couple of other obstacles thrown in. I knew I should have gone to a bigger field to maiden, but...

Mine is 101 gm/3.6 oz RTF. C/g 1/4" forward of the aft cabane struts with a 2S 360 lipo. Checked the trims, put in a little up elevator as insurance on launch and with about 1/2 throttle it just flew straight out of my hand. The up trim made it enter a gentle climb, no other trim inputs needed. Flies nice and slow, I made the turn and was headed back, trying to get rid of my up trim, forgot I was standing with my back to the house, tried to turn too late. Just had time to cut the power before the "SMACK". Only casualty is my ply firewall, a dab of 5 min epoxy and I will be good to go again.

Very pleased. Now that I know what I am doing, I could do a second one in half the time, so if anybody knows where I can pick up a spare airframe, I would appreciate it. Even though I was only in the air 20 sec, I can understand why people fall in love with this little bipe.

First break in the wx and I will be back out.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:16 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
Finished my little Bipe last night, but the wx looks to be horrible for the next several days. A little bit of calm this morning, HAD to maiden it. The area I have at the house to fly is too small, with trees, a river and a couple of other obstacles thrown in. I knew I should have gone to a bigger field to maiden, but...

Mine is 101 gm/3.6 oz RTF. C/g 1/4" forward of the aft cabane struts with a 2S 360 lipo. Checked the trims, put in a little up elevator as insurance on launch and with about 1/2 throttle it just flew straight out of my hand. The up trim made it enter a gentle climb, no other trim inputs needed. Flies nice and slow, I made the turn and was headed back, trying to get rid of my up trim, forgot I was standing with my back to the house, tried to turn too late. Just had time to cut the power before the "SMACK". Only casualty is my ply firewall, a dab of 5 min epoxy and I will be good to go again.

Very pleased. Now that I know what I am doing, I could do a second one in half the time, so if anybody knows where I can pick up a spare airframe, I would appreciate it. Even though I was only in the air 20 sec, I can understand why people fall in love with this little bipe.

First break in the wx and I will be back out.

Regards,
Jeff
looks great jeff. I love the way mine flys. I am hoping the weather will take a break in the next few days as its 15+MPH all weekend. want to try out my aileron/random mods
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:41 AM
Rem The Wasp CV-7 9/15/42
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
Jeff,
I have one NIB. Am moving so thining things out. Send me a PM of whatever you think it's worth and I'll maill it off to you.

Sam
SammyB is offline Find More Posts by SammyB
Old Dec 01, 2011, 12:14 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4,105 Posts
guys as ridiculous as my ailerons look and the new rudder addition.. this thing is a blast. the weight makes it so its a little faster than I wanted but it will roll without diving around 3/4 throttle and can climb pretty well. this is all on the ar6400l/servos with p51 motor/300 mah 25c 1s lipo. does anyone know where to buy these new? harbor freight has a similar model for $13 with 14inch wingspan http://www.harborfreight.com/merchan...ane-42619.html. I would rather pick up an actual bipe instead of converting this one. any ideas?? Id really like to start fresh and make it look nice this time around with my newly gained knowledge
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:30 AM
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Feb 2006
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_noob View Post
does anyone know where to buy these new? I would rather pick up an actual bipe instead of converting this one. any ideas??
HobbyKing sells one already with a motor, but without servos. Though out of stock currently.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ug_n_Fly_.html
SergeyK is online now Find More Posts by SergeyK