SergeyK is offline Find More Posts by SergeyK
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:55 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am still flying mine!
IMHO if you want something to fly in gym get one of those new micros - nothing can beat them, they are fabulous!
BUT if you want something really small in really almost every wind condition build an Acro and overpower it to the max. It will fly very well even as a 5.5oz brick just to piss all other guys on the field waiting till the wind will die.
Acro's airframe is pretty hefty (and sturdy!!!) and yes, you can make it flyable very light but..why bother? They are better airframes for light, indoor flying.....
Just my two pennies...
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:06 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janusz Jawien View Post
Hi Guys,
I am still flying mine!
IMHO if you want something to fly in gym get one of those new micros - nothing can beat them, they are fabulous!
BUT if you want something really small in really almost every wind condition build an Acro and overpower it to the max. It will fly very well even as a 5.5oz brick just to piss all other guys on the field waiting till the wind will die.
Acro's airframe is pretty hefty (and sturdy!!!) and yes, you can make it flyable very light but..why bother? They are better airframes for light, indoor flying.....
Just my two pennies...
Janusz
This is exactly what I want to do. I want to build something that will fly outside in the wind. Doesnt have to be fast and also I obviously dont expect it to fly in 10+ mph winds but a decent amount would be nice. My micro 4site is for dead calm/indoors. This is for beating up outside Is there any chance I could get you to do a build list for electronics? I have UM Champ parts on the way but I know those are pretty lite duty.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:15 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Not much sophistication in mine, I still fly with old Cirrus servos but any two 4.7g will do.
Motor is very high kV Feigao (the one that goes to EDFs) with 3x3 GWS prop.
Batery 2 cell 730 Thunderpower and CC is small Castle. Ailerons are strip of 1/32 ply 15mm wide ONLY on the lower wing (expanding the wing area) slightly drooping following the upper curvature. The pushrods are 1/16 alu rods, the control horns are the same alurods and connection done by shrink tubes (works forever!).

Remember to use A LOT of right and down thrust.
Happy building!
Janusz
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:56 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
946 Posts
Mine were about 4+ oz each! If I were to build another (and I'm not gonna) I'd flatten out the bottom wing abit more and remove most of the dihedral in the top as well. I used strip aileron on the lower wing only just like Januz's plane. Just some light balsa about 5/16"-1/2" wide. With all that dihedral in you could fly with just rudder and elevator only! But what's the fun in that. I even took the top wing off mine for kicks, and it flew just fine. It was way faster though.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:43 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
So I trashed my 4site lol. Think this thing would be able to fly with its stock gear?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2011, 06:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Nothing much but I got my motor mount situation figured out. Any idea how to tell if this is straight? lol this is my first build if you cant already tell. I am using the guts out of a champ for now. I know I want ailerons but I want to get this off the ground asap and my hobbyking order will be here in like 8 years. Need to pickup some servo rods and see how I am going to mount this champ rx. Also, dont mind the prop as that will be replaced.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2011, 06:10 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
946 Posts
Like Janusz says, these like to be over powered! I think it would fly though. It will have to be as light as you can get it. I think the newer PZ systems will fly this ok! It just wont be a screamer.
Keith
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
going to use my current order for something else. so I am thinking about ordering these for my bipe as I dont think my pz champ brick will fly as well as I would like. Please let me know what you think.

motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4500kv%5F.html

esc: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2011, 12:17 AM
Registered Lifeform
Little Rock,AR,USA
Joined Jun 1999
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_noob View Post
going to use my current order for something else. so I am thinking about ordering these for my bipe as I dont think my pz champ brick will fly as well as I would like. Please let me know what you think.

motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4500kv%5F.html

esc: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
Motor/geardrive is TOTALLY WRONG for an AcroBipe. Of course the real problem is the typically inaccurate HobbyKing specifications. There is no way this drive will turn a 4" prop at 9400 rpm. In fact it couldn't turn any prop at 9400 rpm, that would require the motor to be turning over 66,000 rpm, and that is just not gonna happen. Read the comments at HK for more details. This drive would be happiest turning a nine inch prop for a much, much larger model.

This motor would probably work pretty well direct drive with a 4" prop if the listed Kv is correct. And that's a big "IF." I used the Feigao 12mm 4100 Kv motor with a 4.5" prop, that combo is excellent in an Acrobipe.

Paul
Paul Willenborg is offline Find More Posts by Paul Willenborg
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:35 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_noob View Post
generous user on the forumn posted one in classifieds and I was too late it was already gone so I asked him if he knew where to obtain one. He then took his own personal bipe apart and mailed it to me for a very good price. Thanks again mr flyboy Theres a few in the classifieds right now too
Hi. I'm the guy who got there first. Haven't had a lot of time and the club field is 45 min away. Wanted something I can fly in the small lot next to my house. Got the kit and realized how far off my expectations were - all the "small" gear in my spares bin was 10x too big for this airframe. Quick order to Heads Up got me a 10g motor, 3 x 2.5g servos, esc, couple of props, couple of 2S 350 lipos. Discovered I still need a crystal for my nano rx, that's on order.

Read most of the thread, tried to accommodate the important mods. Cut a piece out of the lower wing spar, took out most of the dihedral, put in a couple if lightweight cf spars in the center. Ailerons were cut from the wing of an old glider, 1/2" wide, lower wing only. Opened the front cowl and the cockpit hatch. Tonight made a firewall of lightply, made sure there was lots of down and right, bolted the mount in with 2-56 bolts and T-nuts. Everything is just dry fitted, I have to cut the bolts down, open up some more foam on the lower right side, and epoxy the firewall in.

Anything major I have overlooked at this point? Thanks, Jeff

Oh, tried to get the canopy off to paint the pilot but mine is so thoroughly glued that I will break it before I can loosen it. Rats
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:56 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Just couple things to consider:
I do not know the kV of your motor but it looks like will be much more happy with bigger than 3x3 prop. Bigger prop will give you more torque roll....not a good thing.
Be very careful to check how the things will ballance: this model due to its size is pretty sensitive to the right CG...it should be about 1/4" forward from the aft edge of the
outer strout check on the upper wing.
I understand that you want to use the tape as a aileron hinge ... please check how easy the yellow paint on the wing will peel off.... some of those paints will peel off super easy and you will loose aileron control. In this situation it is better to remove completly the paint from this side of the wing and apply the tape directly to the styro.
I mounted my 2.4 Rx directly between the fuse and upper wing in the space between strouts - just a hint.
I used as a spar Starbucks stearer - with some curve to it... I like to keep the diehydral and the geometry of the wing "by the book"....in my opinion this way the Acro shines the best.
I used on mine the hot glue in most spots... but 5 min Epoxy will be fine too.
Good luck with your build!
Janusz
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:30 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,439 Posts
Janusz, thanks for the quick reply. I see you've been flying these things since the thread began 6 years ago! I appreciate you sharing your experience. I have this motor: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Sport/Detail and they recommend the 6 x 3 prop on 2S, so that's what I got.

I have already removed most (but not all) of the dihedral, I thought that was necessary if ailerons were to be used? Thank you for the reminder about the rx, there really isn't a lot of space in that fuse, is there? Somehow that 350 lipo looks huge in there.

Ailerons are on good and tight, I wanted to slightly reposition one and it is really stuck on. I will double check c/g before flight. Really looking forward to flying this.

Thanks again,
Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:20 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
6 years ago? Time flies....he...he....
So many models went through but somehow Acro was always with me... just to stretch
the fingers before flying something more serious.
This is the motor I am using:
http://www.gravesrc.com/FEIGAO_12084...go1208428l.htm
I am afraid that you will have torque roll problems with the bigger, slow spinning prop.
But, try...there are many ways to skin the cat!
Janusz
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:48 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Got mine up in the air for a real flight today! Very excited as this is my first build of any type. Seeing it fly gave me an ear to ear smile thats still on my face I know its not much to look at compared to all of yours but I am happy as heck and learned a lot from this plane. Cant wait to see what else I can build!

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions guys. This thing is a blast!

edit/ 3rd picture down I feel needs explaining lol... Caught the tail on fire trying to heatshrink with a bamboo stick as my power was out. Used ca to fill it in and have sense trimmed down all the excess so its smooth as can be. Lesson learned lol
RCG Plus Member