HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2008, 07:23 PM
Sacramento area (Lincoln)
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
I have been building another acrobipe. After I flew my last version inverted into the ground. I forgot which way to pull up at 15'. oops. Well I have spent alot of time drawing the graphics on this one. I think I did a pretty decent job. I still need to finish installing the electronics. Well stuff the motor is installed as is the elevator servo. Ailerons need to be attached and I should be able to maiden tomorrow.
sinkinpat is offline Find More Posts by sinkinpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2008, 08:25 PM
Joined Mar 2006
895 Posts
thats REALLY nice
mr badwrench is offline Find More Posts by mr badwrench
Old Aug 31, 2008, 09:00 PM
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jul 2002
780 Posts
Awesome!
I am building another one too, although I'm not sure I'll be showing any pictures now!
Matt D. is offline Find More Posts by Matt D.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 09:25 PM
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
I will give my secret to the graphics.

The paint is testors model master flat. I use flat because the masking tape doesn't stick to it very well and the tape is easier to remove without removing paint from the foam. I didn't use accrylics. I wanted the enamel to etch a bit into the foam to stick well.

The markings were drawn in auto cad. I then printed them out on clear lable film. For the markings on the bottom of the wing and the tail I used paper as they needed to be opaque due to the black. On the tail I needed white as part of the graphic. This way I could just paint the bottom of the wing black and just glue on the paper with white glue.

The black lettering etc. you can see where I surrounded the marking with yellow. Which was a little darker than regular yellow. this is a perfect color match on paper. but since it is a clear film. it darkened where it was yellow sticker on yellow paint. Oh well next time I will use a lighter yellow when printing the sticker sheet.

I also learned I need to seal after printing the sticker . Maybe spray some sort of art sealer on the sheet before I cut. As sweaty hands tend to remove printed markings from clear film. I am sure morning due will too. The clear lable film sticks really well to the painted model. The bottom marking which is also label paper does not stick well. I had to smear it with white glue.

For the silver stripe I used silver sharpie and a ruller. I was going to use pin striping tape. but decided to save the wt. I did use the silver pinstriping on the canopy.

For the tinted canopy. I used Tamiya transparent smoke. I also tried transparent blue, to make it look like the prototype but my airbrush was dirty with opaque residue. so the blue didn't turn out. I will have to strip the blue paint and try again for the next version. The pilot I left in there but just painted everthing in there flat black. That way there is no reason to detail. She is just a silowhett.

Can't wait to maiden it. I have been missing haveing a small airobatic biplane in my fleet.

Jim leroys Bulldog was such a sharp plane. Tobad he is gone. The Bulldog II was an even fancier plane. but a bit to complex for acropipe today. Maybe the next one.
Last edited by sinkinpat; Aug 31, 2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:35 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Good job snikinpad!
Keep them flying!
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:42 PM
Joined Mar 2006
895 Posts
I want to attempt a different powerplant.... I have a 10g hobbycity motor, supposed to make 90g of thrust with a gws 3x3 prop
Old Sep 01, 2008, 01:28 AM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
IMHO as long as you stay with 3x3 prop to avoid prop torque you will be fine.
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Sep 02, 2008, 12:44 PM
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
I am going to try a new powerplant too. same 10g motor. But I am going to throw the 5X3X3 on it. I see people having sucess with that combo on the Cox micro warbirds.
Old Sep 02, 2008, 11:48 PM
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
maidenened tonight. first throw went straight down. needed up elevator. After a slight adjustment with thetrims, I was back to normal. I needed quite a bit of up elevator. It might be due to the fact that it just a bit nose heavy this time around. not quite sure why. all the same gear. In the same locations. The CG is 1/8" in from of the plastic spar. I need to move some gear back. It is strange. in the past I needed to move as much as far forward as possible. Also you can see I added a tailwheel from a Parkzone micro flyer. Later I will see if it helps my on pavement landings and takeoff. So far it seems to really help straighten out when I taxi around the driveway.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 07:38 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
Great job btw.. It may have a slight wing incidence difference or something.

I would like to see some video of that flying.. mine bit the dust *lol* I have a new plane but I need to move everything over (basically do everything) though.. I admire your patience there.. Nice one!
Headspin is online now Find More Posts by Headspin
Old Sep 22, 2008, 06:03 PM
Joined Jan 2008
441 Posts
new b happen upon this thread. what is a acro- bipe how do you get it?

thanks
gramps
gramps45 is offline Find More Posts by gramps45
Old Sep 22, 2008, 06:30 PM
Castro Valley, CA
Joined Nov 2007
168 Posts
It's a rubber powered biplane that is awesome for RC conversion. Works well with 5 gram brushless motors. It's available here,

http://www.ubhobbies.com/displayroom...l?catuid=14722
foxsavage is offline Find More Posts by foxsavage
Old Sep 22, 2008, 06:50 PM
Joined Jan 2008
441 Posts
thanks

gramps
gramps45 is offline Find More Posts by gramps45
Old Sep 22, 2008, 08:38 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
Somtimes you can get these for under 10 bucks at Harbor Freight.. But not seen one for over 12 months. Last I saw, they were selling them off for $5.00 each and I'm still kicking myself for getting only 1.

Had I known how much fun these are I would have cleaned them out.

Headspin is online now Find More Posts by Headspin
Old Sep 22, 2008, 09:43 PM
Joined Mar 2006
895 Posts
I found them for $3.50 bought 13 of them