Jimbob55 is offline Find More Posts by Jimbob55
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2005, 09:23 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Thanks Jimbob,

I found some at my local HF store so I picked up a few. But, did see a bunch of stuff on the site that I need to get so thanks for the link!
helipilot is offline Find More Posts by helipilot
Old Nov 27, 2005, 09:35 AM
NC
Joined Aug 2003
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipilot
Hi Janusz,

Your not rambling on, it's information! Glad to hear the bipe flies so well. I checked out some of the other acro bipe threads out there and found a thread where someone used an N20 motor w/ gearbox tofly their bipe. Then it dawned on me. I saved the gearbox that I had on my "Skeeter Hawk" airplane I built a while back. What do you know, same same. So I put it on the scale and it is half the weight of the IPS50. Im going to try it and let you know how it flies. It will help me with the weight problem Im having. I also noticed I can shorten some of the wiring on the esc as well. Im using a Jeti 050 esc which I will weigh as well to see how it compares to the other micro esc's out there. This is fun stuff. Once I get the motor installed, I will commence with the rest of the build. It's a good day to stay in and work on the Bipe!!!
I pulled this from one of the earlier threads.

My A-Bipe is R/E only and it flies very stable this way. It ROG's easily when I can keep it straight. I'm using an N20 HV geared 2.67:1 with the GWS 4.5x4. E-Tech 250's 2 cell. 65grs AUW.

The GB is a modded/lightened E-Charger GB. It weighs quite a bit less than a 50 motor alone. It's light enough to cruise around slowly at 1/3 throttle with decent power to spare. I usually get 20 min flight times with this setup.
Bodie Jr is offline Find More Posts by Bodie Jr
Old Nov 27, 2005, 03:26 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Guys,
Grounded for 2 days , too much wind here -even for my porky Acrobipe...
BUT... I am watching very slosely the thread about Corsair from WalMart...:-)
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Nov 27, 2005, 05:17 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hey Janusz,

bummer with the wind. From the sound of it, you fly quite a bit. I think I need to move to LA?! I been to LA area about 4 years ago and likes it a lot. Last year I was in San francisco, actually north of sf at the Infinion Raceway and I liked it there too! Maybe a move is in order. I don't mind the change in seasons we have, just the lack of flying time in the winter stinks. I went to my LOH for some aluminum tubing for pushrods. So, Im progressing on the bipe. Yippee, I love this little plane. thanks for all the help so far!!! Really appreciate it!
Old Nov 27, 2005, 11:40 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Manish,
I was never a enthusiast of "change in seasons" so when I moved here 20 some years ago I decided taht this is the right place. Yes, we have here our sesons too but somehow on the mild side so my tropical plants jungle around the fountain does not suffer from frost. And I like it this way.
I use for all pushrods 1/16 allumium rods, not tubing. They only look bulky but actually they light, have enough stiffness for this application. The "joint" connections are done with heat shrink tube BUT the rods on the ends are crumped a little with players and secured with drop of CA. For some "purists" they look prymitive and "out of place" but believe me, nobody sees them when the model is flying and flying very good, so KISS rule!!
As you wrote before - you bought couple of those models. Good decision, build one very light for the indoors. In this case you can use 2 cell 145 battery - they are very light and they are OK to use with IPS50 as long as you fly on 1/2 throttle useing full power occasionally. With 145 mAh battery the Bipe should come very light.
Have fun building!
Janusz
Old Nov 28, 2005, 05:34 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hey janusz,

Thanks! Maybe I try the tubing and to see how it works. Im going to use that N20 drive system and I just ordered some 3.6g servo's to lighten it up even more. Where is a good place to buy LiPo's cheap?

Im still envious of the weather you have. I've been to the west coast in all the seasons, very nice!
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:19 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Manish,
Regarding " a good place to buy LiPo's cheap" you are on your own. I am buying them in LHSs without doing big fuss about it. Those small LiPo's are not so expensive and couple of $$ will not make big difference on your vallet. BUT - they are new cells coming on the market, it is a good idea to keep an eye on them. For me it was a big discovery that new Thunderpower are so light, the 2 cell 720(?) I am using on my newest Acrobipe is only 8g heavier than 340 Kokam and gives a lot more "umpf" to the motor - now I can fly it more than 1/2 hour on one charge. This is important because the cells are encased permanently in the fuse and I can not change bateries on the field. I was amazed that such a heavy Acrobipe (4 1/8 oz!!) still behaves so well.
I know that you are trying different option and building light version so I gave you a hint with 145mAh... you will end up with perfectly flying slow (relatively) indoor model.
I strongly advise you to build the second one like I did.... it is great fun to fly it fast and crazy outdoors.
Happy building,
Janusz
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:47 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Good Morning Janusz,

Good info!! My "Beta" verison currently on the table will be a bit porky, so outdoor flight will be the norm for it. We have wind here so being a bit heavy will help. I thought to build one super light for indoor flying, but Im hearing bad things about the indoor sessions at one of the school gym's, I will stay clear of that one. I have another kit to play with so Im not concerned about experimenting with the current bipe. My 3.6g servo's should be here soon. The elevator has been joined and is awaiting a control horn. I found some 110mah batt. packs in my box as well as a 50 mah pack that I used a while back on another light model. So I have some option on power while I wait for my LiPo's.
Old Dec 04, 2005, 09:16 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Poof! I recv'd my 3.6g servo's and began the radio install on the bipe when it happened.....what's that smell? Why is there smoke coming out of the plane? I accidentaly reversed polarity on the batt/esc and let the smoke out of the esc. Lesson learned, check polarity twice before connecting battery to esc. I managed to shed .2oz off the weight with the new servo's.

Im planning on some Thunder Power LiPo's for flight power.
Old Dec 04, 2005, 10:49 AM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
you can lose even more if you lose the bottom of each servo case. Also if you substitute enamal wire for the original wires there can be substantial savings as well.

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Dec 04, 2005, 02:05 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hey Willin,

Where do I get "enamel" wire? That sounds like a good idea. Also losing the bottoms of the servo's is a grand idea too! Thanks. Now Im off to install that new esc in the bipe.
Old Dec 04, 2005, 04:20 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
I should have said "enameled" wire. This is wire that has a thin enamel coat for insulation.
First,this is the same kind of wire used to wind motors as in the DIY CDROM motor threads in case you are not familiar. Many of the indoor guys use this stuff to make their own antennas for on board and to wire their magnetic actuators to the RX.

Where? Radio Shack for one.

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Dec 04, 2005, 06:33 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Guys,
Do not worry about shedding every gramm from the model! The beast flies very well no matter how porky it is! Before you take it to the indoor flying area try it outside on calm weather. From my experience it takes a flight or two before figure out that Acrobipe fies slower that you think without any nasty stalls.
Have fun!
Janusz
Old Dec 04, 2005, 07:30 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,586 Posts
The enamaled/magnent wire is a single solid core, not all that flexable, and subject to breaking with too much flexing. Fine if you intend to solidly mount the wire to the structure. Otherwise a stranded wire is much preferred.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member