SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 23, 2005, 06:14 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Does anyone have the weight spec on the IPS50? Is it 15g? If so, than I have the correct motor in my bipe. If not, where can I get one?
helipilot is offline Find More Posts by helipilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2005, 07:33 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Manish,
Happy Turkey Day!
Yes, IPS %0 weights 15g.... but, to make you less comfortable... they come in two flavors... high and low voltage...he..he...But... do not worry too much - both are OK in this application. Just glue it with 5 min epoxy giving a lot of right and down thrust. To change motor in future you will use just good Exacto blade... this way you will have perfect bed for Feigao which is the same size....:-)
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Nov 23, 2005, 07:45 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hi Janusz,

Happy turkey day to you too!!! Thanks for confirming my information. I will re-install the IPS50 into the bipe. My weight is down to 2.4 oz w/o batt. pack. Maybe the factory used too much hot glue? Either way, Im going forward with the build and going to fly it
Old Nov 23, 2005, 08:03 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
You should mount the new motor with hot melt glue too. It will be much easier to adjust or remove.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2005, 08:40 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Good idea Tim. I originally had the motor glued in with some ca glue. I pulled the motor out to weigh it and it came out cleanly but with a little effort.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 09:18 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Manish,
Make sure that you will be able to install battery pack - the 340 2 cell Kokam fits just fine BUT is possible to install using front access BEFORE the motor is glued in.
Hot glue installation is probably fine, I used epoxy with good results so I advised it to you. The motor gets hot during long flights!
Old Nov 24, 2005, 09:02 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hi Janusz,

I planned on using ca glue again as it seemed to work really well. Hot glue would work well as would the epoxy method. As my bipe is pushing the porky side, Im going to ca the motor in again.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 09:03 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Who's flying today?

We have blowing and drifting snow over here so Im grounded. High winds.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:59 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
We are pratically neighbors. So the weather "blows" here too. I'm gonna be stuck flying BladeRunners and the ButterFly in the livingroom all day
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:35 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Guys,
Sorry about the weather in your area, I just came from my field... no complains...
I do not want to piss off somebodybody describing the balmy blue sky so I better go to help my wife with the turkey!
Have a good one !
Janusz
Old Nov 24, 2005, 07:35 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Tim,

Yes, we are neighbors. I have indoor livingroom envy. I can fly my heli indoors but we won't go there.

Janusz, Some of us have it good. How was the flying and what did you fly?We just came home from Turkey dinner at the in-law house and it's all of 16 deg. above zero. Enjoy your "blue sky's and balmy temps". I have warm weather envy as well.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 12:03 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Manish,
he..he... "what did I fly?" - my Acrobipe, of course....I have whole hangar full of all kind of models but somehow recently I am getting kick out of flying really small staff - eh, may be relatively small... because my porky 4 1/8oz Acrobipe barely fits in this forum. I flew this model when it was little over 3 oz - flew great and very easy but somehow my "need for speed" took over...I am really amazied by versatylity and sturdiness of its design. Very tough and alvays happy little flyer. My last version has enforced with thin glass and laminating epoxy front of the fuse up to the wings. This definetely helps to survive those not so perfect landings. My other recent favorite is 65g Funcraft P-51 with Micro Joule system. Flies very well ail/elev with IPS and 2 cell 145mAh but the radio is very sensitive to glitches - interference from other Txs so I fly it rather out of the flying field. My next project is Sky-zone Falcon - nice guy fave it to me on the field - I am thinking of enlarging the wings with ailerons and flaps - just for fun. Otherwise Feigao with 2 cells should be just fine. The model should be fun to fly due to those flaps...he..he... anyway - it is free and seems promissing. I will let you know how after maiden. Strictly indoor models are not my piece of cake, I like tlying in the weather, with winds, turbulence etc.
But, looks like I am rambling much too much ... probably after all this todays turkey...
Cheers,
Janusz
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:40 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hi Janusz,

Your not rambling on, it's information! Glad to hear the bipe flies so well. I checked out some of the other acro bipe threads out there and found a thread where someone used an N20 motor w/ gearbox tofly their bipe. Then it dawned on me. I saved the gearbox that I had on my "Skeeter Hawk" airplane I built a while back. What do you know, same same. So I put it on the scale and it is half the weight of the IPS50. Im going to try it and let you know how it flies. It will help me with the weight problem Im having. I also noticed I can shorten some of the wiring on the esc as well. Im using a Jeti 050 esc which I will weigh as well to see how it compares to the other micro esc's out there. This is fun stuff. Once I get the motor installed, I will commence with the rest of the build. It's a good day to stay in and work on the Bipe!!!
Old Nov 25, 2005, 09:58 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Manish,

I would rather buy GWS 5A controller to save weight and use heavier IPS50. IMHO the N20 WITH gearbox will weight almost the same like IPS50 BUT performance will suffer.
Beauty of Acrobipe design is in its ability to fly well even on hefty side. Surely - shorten the wires (just do not do this on brushless motor!), any gram off helps.
Before you attempt to shorten the wires make sure that you will be able to fit everything well in the fuse. Nice touch are the tiny magnets to keep the canopy in place. You can buy them in Radio Shack. Otherwise simple rubber band will do just fine.
Good luck,
Janusz
Old Nov 25, 2005, 10:36 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Manish, couple more of "deep thoughts" regarding Acrobipe with gear box: DD IPS50 will free you from the hassle of gear box (KISS rule), the installation of motor will be much simpler, also short wing is much more sensitive to prop torque - you will use bigger prop with gear box - here is another potential of problems. GWS 3x3 prop gives you plenty of thrust, you will fly mostly on 1/2 throttle but you will have plenty of spare power when you need it...:-)