HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2005, 06:42 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Ah ha!!! I thought when I installed that motor that it felt heavy. Looks like it's time for a motor change. Thanks Bykrdan!!!
helipilot is offline Find More Posts by helipilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2005, 09:51 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
You're welcome!

Bick, Frank - I use both the 6:1 with a 7060 prop, and 5:1 with a 6050. The 6050 works great indoors or out. I like to use the 7060 primarily outdoors; for the wind here in Cincinnati, it's got plenty of heft (for a plane this size, anyway). I did, though, burn one up one day trying to fly around at full throttle for an extended period in 30+ mph winds :^) so be careful...
bykrdan is offline Find More Posts by bykrdan
Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:35 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Manish,
GWS 50 DD with 3x3 prop and 340 2 cell Kokam, two Cirrus 5.4 servos was my starting point and about 2 years of fun !!! It is a very good set up to fly outside and with a little practice (when you finally find out that this great plane does not tip stall) you can fly it in the basketball size gym.
Now I am flying it with Feigao 12mm DD 3x3 prop AND Thunderpower 740 mAh 2 cell and this thing is tearing the sky!!! Surely you would hear grumpy voices "it is not a scale speed" when your flying speed is higher than average slimer trainer but for me it is a part of fun. With 4 1/8 oz AWU Acrobipe is still very stable and easy to fly.
I do not know what you can gain by using geared motor in this application besides torgue roll....:-)
Have fun!
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Nov 16, 2005, 05:24 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Hi Bykrdan and Janusz,

Thanks for all the info. Im not sure why my acro bipe is so heavy. I did not weigh the motor when I installed it, but Im thinking I put the wrong motor in. It is an IPS motor. Maybe I send you a pic of the motor installed in the plane so you all can see it. My servo's are heavy as well so they will be replaced with some lighter ones. You guy's are great and thanks for helping me get this great airplane in the air no matter what others say about it. If they want to see scale speeds, let them go fly the real thing. It's getting frigidly cold up here now, but that's not going to stop me from flying outside when the weather is nice
Old Nov 16, 2005, 07:18 PM
Sacramento area (Lincoln)
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
Man my first 2 acro bipes 2 years ago were heavy. I am now getting bakc into flying and will be building up one of my acro bibes I have in storage. My first ones were heavy. I used GWS IPS dd with 3X3 and also used a wattage 4X3 prop with spinner. GWS reciever and servos. However I didn't have liply at the time so I used NIMH 9v rechageable. Yes the heavy metal wrapped battery. I also did not cut any wires they were just all crammed in there. that plane was heavy. but buy it flew and flew well. It was fast. It was so heavy I would fly it in pretty stiff breeze and It still flew solid like it was on rails. I can't wait to do one lipoly and brushless.
sinkinpat is offline Find More Posts by sinkinpat
Old Nov 16, 2005, 08:51 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Hey Sinkinpat,

Sounds bout like mine is right now. But good to know it flies like it's on rails!!! That is very good news. It is by far the coolest "Micro" plane I have seen anywhere Did you fly it with ailerons or rudder? I have installed 3/4" wide ailerons on the bottom wing only.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 09:52 PM
Sacramento area (Lincoln)
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
Mine were all like yours alerons and elevator only. alerons were made from foam takehome container 3/4" wide the length of the bottom of the wing only on the bottom. I could never get it to roll as it was to stable with alot of weight. Also could never do loops either, but it was very fast and stable. Landings were always hairy, as it flew fast even on approach and the tall skinny landing gear it would always end up on its back. but if I flew over grass it would not be an issue. I never took off the landing gear as I thought it looked funny being a bipe without it. I really like the new landing gear the Harbor freight version comes with. I will be using that from now on.

Oh make sure your throws are set small and you transmitter is trimmed all the way down. my first flights I would barley move the stick and it was all over the sky. I was lucky to get it back in one piece.

my next version I will be using a graupner spinner and hope to match brushless to a prop. probably a fiego. I hope to use prop that I can use a spinner with as it helps with the scale looks of the bipe. a Bipe with no spinner just looks funny to me.
sinkinpat is offline Find More Posts by sinkinpat
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:19 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
I use 1/32 ply 12mm wide ailerons on lower wing only. They are taped to the wing with 1/2" tape (wing is stripped from oryginal paint so the tape goes on styro not on easy to peel off paint). I use ply for ailerons, it adds little stiffenes to the wing.
My plane does rolls in pretty good rate but they are not very axial. Loops are rather sloppy too but that the pilot fault. Feigao motor with DD 3x3 GWS gives tons of power, I use full throttle on take off only and cruise on 1/3-1/2 depending on wind conditions.
Manish,
The Funcraft version of the Acrobipe (rubber powered) has big heavy ball bearing inbedded in the nose - if you have this version use forceps to remove it prior to motor instalation. I use plenty of right and down thrust in mine. The motor is glued in to the edgr of the fuse and to the piece of styrofoam inbeded in the fuse after removing the metal ball.. All glue is 5 min epoxy. Works just fine.
Cheers,
Janusz
Old Nov 17, 2005, 07:24 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
hey guy's,

Cool information. Man is it cold. Sorry, that's off topic. Janusz, I did not find any ball bearings in the front of the bipe so I think Im safe on that aspect. I really think it's the motor and servo's Im using. My ailerons are exactly like sinkinpat's. Funny how we went out to a restaurant and came home with that same take home foam box. The next day, we had the leftovers and my wife said "here you go, the bottom of the box can be for your ailerons"! My jaw dropped to the floor. I should post some pics of my progress so you all can see what's happening.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:43 PM
Acampo, California
Joined Nov 2005
15 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new to rcgroup forums as well as new to micro flight....but I'm lovin it.
Just bought a Plantraco Butterfly and have been flying everyday since.
Went to a electric fun fly this weekend and won an Acro Bipe. What a great looking little plane. I would like to first build a light weight version using Plantraco's HFX 900 Rec with 2 actuators (rudder, elevator, I've read somewhere that the actuators don't work that well with ailerons?) and their GBO3 6mm gearbox. Do you think it's enough motor the power the little bipe??
The second version would be with a brushless outrunner but let's get the first one off the ground.

Quick note to helipilot: Did you complete your Acro Bipe and when do we get to see some pictures of it????

Thanks everyone
double da is offline Find More Posts by double da
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:28 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Double Da,
Welcome to the Forum!
I do not think that actuators will work in Acrobipe, it is just too heavy.
I am positive that GB03 6mm gearbox is much too weak in this application.
There are simple FF styro models like Airtaxi (?) , smaller, upper wing models that will be much more suitable for Plantraco system. Acrobipe is IMHO too hefty.
Please check my previous posts about my set up. I believe that Acrobipe with 2cell 340 Kokam and GWS 50 will fly fine on 3x2 prop indoors, 3x3 prop is much more efficient and rather good outdoors.
Surely small outrunner wil power this model just fine but small, 12mm Feigao motor fits just right under canopy without any problems with mouts etc - just a little of 5 min epoxy will do the job (KISS rule). Make sure to add fair amount of right and down thrust.
Have fun,
Janusz
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:55 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
double da, I also welcome you! There is a vast amount of info and support here for you.

You may also do a search for the Harbor Freight bipe as this is virtually the same plane and has been modded many different ways in varying degrees of success. Mostly positive.

Brushless is a bit overkill on this plane unless you go with something really small like the 12mm Feigao. This is a great motor for this plane.

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:26 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Hi Double da,

Welcome! Im not finished with my Bipe yet. My servo's and motor were too heavy so Im waiting for the new servo's to show up. Until then, I've been playing with my Mini Dragonfly e-heli that I modified to make it 25% smaller! It's a blast! I too love this micro stuff. So much fun I don't know how to handle it sometimes!
Old Nov 22, 2005, 09:42 PM
Acampo, California
Joined Nov 2005
15 Posts
Thanks Everyone for making me feel welcome.

Janusz,

The GWS 50 or the 12mm Feigao sound great I'm not familar with either but will look them up on the internet tonight. I'll also read your posts and get a list of items to check out as well. Thanks again.

Hi Willin,

The Arco Bipe I have is from Harbor Freight and it sure is a nice looking little plane.
Both you and Janusz have mentioned the 12mm Feigao motor will have to take a good look at that tonight. Thanks for the contact.

Hey Helipilot,

Land that heli and get busy on the Bipe! You don't want me to get mine in the air first do you?? Thanks for the info...sounds like the Dragonfly is a lot of fun! Thank You

Anyone have any input on Transmitters and Micro Receivers??

I've been looking at the Tracker III and the Hitec Optic 6 or ????????

Any suggestions on Micro Receivers?

If I don't get back here before Thanksgiving I hope you all have a wonderful day
get some quality flying time in so long for now.....
double da is offline Find More Posts by double da
Old Nov 23, 2005, 09:33 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,167 Posts
Hi Double da,

I will be working on mine tonight. I can't stay away from that little bipe. From all the great suggestions that have been given, I gotta get this thing in the air. I hope to post some pics tonight of the set-up so far.

I wish everyone a Great Holiday and be safe. I give "Thanks" to all of you for making this hobby what it is and for all the great suggestions so far.

Happy Flying, Manish