SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2005, 11:40 AM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Helipilot,
I am no familiar with GWS 180 but I think it is bigger than GWS 50 so I think that it can be overkill - weavier with more current draw. Take a look on my photos - there you have good idea how to cut the fuse - visible on the white fuse. Make sure that your cut will be big enought to slip battery inside before you glue the motor . Please check the new smal batteries from Thunderpower - they are smaller and have more copacity than Kokam I had used. And - as with all bipes - glue the upperwing LAST !
Cheers,
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2005, 07:26 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Sounds good Janusz! Yesterday, I pulled the canopy off the fuse as it had excessive amount of glue. It came off ok and I am almost ready to start cutting the fuse for motor prep. I have all the components accept for a battery pack's which I will order today. I should have it flying real soon. I will post pics soon of my project.
helipilot is offline Find More Posts by helipilot
Old Oct 31, 2005, 09:42 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Helipilot,
During the weekend I bought the new Thunderpower 2 cell 730mAh. It is 8 g heavier that old 340 Kokam and my Acrobipe dressed as " wanna be F3F" weight 4 1/8 oz.
With Feigao she has more power than needed and handles wind with authority not known to this size models! BUT with this weight it is definetely outside-only model.
Cheers,
Janusz
Old Nov 01, 2005, 12:15 AM
Ol' Deadeye
Lubbock,TX
Joined Aug 2005
124 Posts
heres mine, cirrus micro joule receiver and servos, mighty micro double whopper brushless and cc-10 lightened esc. only used rudder and elevator (no ailerons), 250ma 7.4 lipos. total weight so far (still not sure how to color it up) 71.6 grams, 2.53 oz.
flies indoors great, or so the test pilot told me. i have no problem building em, i just turn chicken when it comes to flying em. i was there but a little to nervous to take the controls but it did seem to have a really good speed range and responded well, rudder only turns were smooth no slipping or skidding.
the original ff weighed 69.9 grams so this is only 1.7 grams more. once i get it colorized where i can see it better ill try it outside, otta be a good one.
our gym is one full size basketball court ( i guess thats how to describe it) if you keep em light they do okay.
Dusty Puddles is offline Find More Posts by Dusty Puddles
Last edited by Dusty Puddles; Nov 01, 2005 at 12:29 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2005, 04:16 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
DRETW,

Looks nice!!! I have read that if you add ailerons to the bottom only with slight down deflection, you can get the little bipe to fly even slower. Im going to experiment with this on my "Beta" verison. Oh this is so much fun!!!

It's looking good, keep the pics coming. Sure would like to see the bipe when you have it colored up
Old Nov 01, 2005, 09:55 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
"ailerons with slight down deflection" - this is what I use in mine- works very well.
DRETW - your Bipe looks great for indoor use. I do not know how it will handle wind because the plane is already very "draggy". I know that my "porky" 4 1/8 oz plane goes into opposite direction. Great thing is that in both cases Acrobipe flies just great!
My cudos to the guy who designed it !
I have Micro Joule system in another Funcraft model - 2 1/2 oz P-51 with slightly elarged wings (made from balsa -IMHO oryginal wingswere too flimsy) flies absolutely great but the Micro Joule gets much too many glitches to fly it on flying field.
Cheers,
Janusz
Old Nov 02, 2005, 10:41 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hi Janusz,

I agree, Kudo's to the gentleman that designed and mfr this plane. As I worked on mine last night, I just kept smiling. It is such a neat airplane. And the fact that it flies so well for it's size is testament of his design.

OK, so what did you use to join the 2 elevator halves together? Im thinking of some really small music wire.
Old Nov 03, 2005, 12:18 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Helipilot,
In my all Acrobipes (I have done 4 so far) I used wthe aluminium rods for all pushrods,
elevator joiner and control horns. You are able to see it on photo on post #12. All of the pushrods and control horns are connected using heat shrink tubing (the area of rod which is cover by heat shrink tubing is first treated with players and some glue to develop good grip. The elevator connector looks like I___I where the "I" are flatened with the hummer before sinking into the elevator. All of glueing is done with 5 min epoxy. I know that it all sounds very primitive but it worked perfectly for my first Bipe so I stick with it. Somehow this KISS formula (Keep it simple....) works very well in this application. Both pushrods for the ailerons have little V bend which let me set them properly, this same V I use in the elevator pushrod - BTW - it is pretty long because the servo is just under the front of canopy glued to the fuse wall with the double sticky tape (thin one - the same the car guys use for their servo mounting). Whole electronics in the plane are mounted as far forward as possble otherwise the Bipe will be tail heavy The battery fits perfectly in area between the strouts with fuse connection, the speed controller goes on the right side of the battery and the RX on the right (I thing that this positioning helps avoid close contact between speed controller and Rx) . The wing strouts are mounted using 5min epoxy - I did remove the sticky tape first. My last version is very heavy and sticky tape in this application is not up to the task. I did several small holes on the parts of strouts where they are in contact with the wing - just to get better grip with epoxy. Those precautions are nessesary due to the weight of the beast.
BTW - I flew it this morning - flew VERY fast but totally controlable and with great authority. Because I fly only outside and I do not wish to be scared of wind this heavy Bipe really works for me! My lighter versions (3.5oz or less) were great just o fly close but this one can easy go with the big guys (some speed as a fuel powered trainer).
Have fun!
Janusz
Old Nov 03, 2005, 10:50 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hey Janusz,

Thanks for the tips. I did some more work on my bipe last night. I cut the front hatch to give me access to the motor area. I will post some pics tonight of my progress. Also, Im going to glue in the stabilizer and elevators tonight and hope to have all electronics in place before the weekend. What a nice plane. Im trying to keep the all up weight way down to see just how slow I can fly the plane. Im not afraid of wind either, and would like to take the plane to the local field and show it off.

Happy Landings, Manish
Old Nov 14, 2005, 08:58 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
YIKES!!!! I weighed all my electronic components(GWS r4 rx w/o case, 2-hs-55 servo's, jeti 050 esc) without battery pack and Im at 4 oz. What's up with that? Im thinking of going to <5g servo's to reduce the weight a bit. Any other idea's?
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:48 AM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipilot
...Im at 4 oz. What's up with that? Im thinking of going to <5g servo's to reduce the weight a bit. Any other idea's?
What kind of motor are you using? I use Cirrus 4.4g servos in mine, so lighter servos will save a bit of weight, but the AUW of the plane, battery, wheels and all, is 3 oz. or less.
bykrdan is offline Find More Posts by bykrdan
Old Nov 14, 2005, 06:13 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hey bykrdan,

Im using an gws ips motor. Is this too big? Also, my servo's were a bit heavy as they are hs-55's. Im thinking of 4g or less servo's as you mentioned. what battery pack are you using?
Old Nov 15, 2005, 12:16 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
The IPS motor may be a little hefty for this plane, especially with a gearbox. It is still a bit heavy direct-drive, but provides more reasonable thrust, I think. I use either a 250mAh 2-cell or 350mAh, if I want the added stability and duration.

My favorite motor in this plane is a 12 gram LPS-B2C (looks like a shrunken IPS gearbox).
bykrdan is offline Find More Posts by bykrdan
Old Nov 15, 2005, 12:43 PM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,884 Posts
How does the LPS-B2C work outside?
I planned on using it but heard that there is not much poop to handle the wind.

http://rcguy.tripod.com
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy
Old Nov 15, 2005, 05:05 PM
Middletown, DE, United States
Joined Dec 2003
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykrdan
..............................My favorite motor in this plane is a 12 gram LPS-B2C (looks like a shrunken IPS gearbox).

Hi,

Which gear ratio on the LPS? Thanks

Bick
Bick is online now Find More Posts by Bick