HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2006, 02:42 AM
rc, Rc, RC, RCRCRC
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined May 2005
414 Posts
Well after reading all of these posts on this plane I remember that I had one in a box in the garage. So last night I pulled it out and started converting it. Itís all done tonight (well its 12:30am and the wife is complaining it late). Tomorrow Ill maiden it to see what it does. Pics just in case it doesnít make it. Also running a cx eflight 830mah battery.
cjz89civic is online now Find More Posts by cjz89civic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2006, 08:20 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hello C,

Looking good! Let us know how your bipe fly's. Nice job on the conversion. Do you know what the weight came out to? Also, what did you use for pushrod material? Good luck with the maiden!!!
helipilot is offline Find More Posts by helipilot
Old Feb 26, 2006, 09:45 AM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi C,
Nice conversion but she seems to be on the heavy side....Have somebody to toss her for maiden for you and toss it slightly upward. Use touch of up trim on the stab otherwise she will go toward terra firma quicker than you like it.
Good luck on maiden!
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Feb 26, 2006, 06:15 PM
rc, Rc, RC, RCRCRC
Joined May 2005
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipilot
Hello C,

Looking good! Let us know how your bipe fly's. Nice job on the conversion. Do you know what the weight came out to? Also, what did you use for pushrod material? Good luck with the maiden!!!
The weight Im not sure I dont have a scale, as far as push rod its the smallest push rod my LHS carries Dru-Bro cat #922 .047".

NOW its raining so Im stuck until it stops hopefully soon.

What is the CG on this that is working for most everybody? I see a few different CGs in the posts.

Thanks Guys,
Chris
Last edited by cjz89civic; Feb 26, 2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 06:20 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
I found something very interesting today. My 6 year old found my stash of
HF Bipes and wanted to build one. As we put it together, it looked bigger than the one I converted. Maybe an illusion, maybe not. So I got my converted bipe out and what do you know?! The horizontal and vertical surfaces were larger on my son's bipe. I knew something was funny looking. Did anyone fly today? I was grounded due to the winds.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 06:32 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hi C,

Seems to be a range of CG's that are working, 1-1 1/2" back from leading edge of top wing. The bipe does not seem to be too sensitive to cg, just be ready to get the nose up after launch as Janusz said, otherwise you will be seeing the ground fast! My bipe when launched shot straight up and performed a loop on it's maiden. Subsequent launches were uneventful. Your going to like this little bipe!
Old Feb 26, 2006, 07:12 PM
rc, Rc, RC, RCRCRC
Joined May 2005
414 Posts
Wow Im kinda suprised Im dead on 1 1/2" CG. Now I just need a scale..
Old Feb 26, 2006, 08:47 PM
rc, Rc, RC, RCRCRC
Joined May 2005
414 Posts
Scales I just got this one wonder if its any good. will see http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
Old Feb 26, 2006, 09:10 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
All depends of how micro you like to build. I use Walmart scale for 20 bucks or so, it gives me pretty acurate oz. and grams. I do not think that I will build really micro planes so gram acuracy is fine with me.
SG 1 1/2 " from leading edge is for very conservative flying, my CG is now 1 1/4" wich gives more aerobatic possibilities for my very heavy -41/2 oz Acro.
Keep them flying!
Janusz
Old Feb 27, 2006, 01:25 AM
rc, Rc, RC, RCRCRC
Joined May 2005
414 Posts
I just used my wifes food scale and its says about 4 oz. Its analog so will see when I get the scale what it really is.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 02:37 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,850 Posts
Ok, I bought this plane last summer when it was on sale for $7.99 and put it up on a shelf. I finally got around to doing one up this weekend. Maiden flight was this morning.

Specs:

Motor: 12mm Medusa 5300
Battery: 2 cell 450 (etec)
ESC: T-Bird 9
Rx: CC - Berg 4L (new one)
Servos (2): Blue Arrow (3.6g) -- Elevator and Ailerons (no rudder)

I used a GWS heatsink for the motor mount -- I did not want to gum up the motor since I have other plans for it.

There are more photos on my website if you care to have a look:

http://www.stickflyers.com/view_albu...=planes&page=5

Flight update: It flies great at 1/4 throttle -- it is a bit over powered. After tooling around at about 100 feet up for about 5 minutes, I decided to test some speed and rolls -- well, it took the top wing off. It looked like an RV4 -- believe it or not, I was able to bring it down (nose heavy). I had tested the top wing before flight by holding it by the center top wing and shaking it -- it felt strong. Anyway... need to add some strength to the strut joints and I will have it back up tomorrow.

This build was easier than some kits I have had -- great glide on this plane as well.
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Feb 27, 2006, 03:50 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Qrome,
Congrads on your conversion!
I use hot glue to connect strout to the wing. The flat area of the strout that gets glue to the wings gets several small holes done with #11 blade than the glue is applied to the clean (free from sticky tape) wing surface and they are pressed together. My Acro weights 4 1/2 oz and even with the most radical manouvers there is no problem with glued pieces.
Try GWS 3x3 prop- it is much more efficient.
Janusz
Old Feb 27, 2006, 04:59 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,850 Posts
Janusz, Thanks for the tips. I had used CA for the struts and it actually tore out foam from the wings on the break out. They were clean from the sticky tape as well. I will try your idea though.

Also, about the 3030 prop -- it is not ideal for the 5300 medusa. It would give me more thrust, but the 3020 draws less amps and is more than enough thrust for this application.

I am thinking of using some 1/64 ply to help with the strut joints. We will see when I look at it tonight.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 05:46 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,850 Posts
Janusz, about the struts, are you saying you cut slits in the blue plastic parts? I am still concerned about the foam just tearing way from the glue. What about a thing 1/64 ply layed over the top part of the foam with a small screw set through it and the plastic. At least for the center struts.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 08:50 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Qrome,
I have actually drilled 6-10 little holes on those flat areas of strouts. When you apply the hot glue to the wing it stays melted for the moment due to insulation of the foam and you apply to this glue the strout and squise it so some of the glue comes out through the holes. Yes, one can rip the foam apart but....believe mme... it will not happen in the flaight! I fly my Acro like pylon racer, really fast with plenty of Gs and never had a problem. Instead of hot glue you can use 5min epoxy - works just fine.
Make sure to do several "dry runs" and mark the spots properly otherwise you will land with croocked wings.... not a good idea. IMHO the 1/64 ply is just overkill.
I suggested you the 3x3 prop -I think that it is just much more efficient, you can control your amperage with the throttle. I rarerly use full throttle, just for short vertical manouvers.
Watch out for your ailerons attachment - you stick the tape-hinge directly to painted wing - the paint in HF version is stronger but in oryginal Funcraft easy peels off.
I peeled off all the paint from the lower wing and used Zagi tape as a hinge and covering. Works very well, this same applies to horizontal stab.