HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2006, 01:16 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi to all,
Just came from the field and quess what I was flying? Acrobipe, did not even bother with other planes because the wind was picking up....:-)
If you read carefully my previos post you will be able to find every detail you are looking for. I flew those little marvels in all flayable conditions and never had a need for rudder. You can rely on ailerons only and have very precise flying model.
Make sure to set plenty of right and down thrust. Flies better this way.
Good luck with your conversions!
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2006, 03:33 PM
Acampo, California
Joined Nov 2005
15 Posts
Thanks Chuck, Manish and Janusz for all your valuable information.
I've just mounted the Rudder and Elevator servos. I need to head to the hobby shop before installing the aileron servo.

Manish I used your suggestion and mounted the servos through the fuslage sides. Looks like there going to work just fine.... I've taken a bunch of work-in-progress pictures which I hope to send along, as soon as we get our new computer (hopefully this week). I'm using BlueArrow BA-TS-3.6 servos with the Plantraco DSP 4SC Rx and the GWS EDP-50XC for power.

Janusz...after reading all the threads I realize that you don't need the Rudder but I'd like to see if this little guy can take-off from the ground....

Thanks again you guys....pictures soon.....David
double da is offline Find More Posts by double da
Old Feb 05, 2006, 05:34 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
David ,
My Acro will take off from the ground in couple of feet as long as the surface is very even. small wheels do not help here. Plus of course there is short coupling issue.
I like just to gently toss it to the air and amuse myself how smoothly and perfectly straight it goes. I really keep my TX completly nonshalantly down..... just for kicks.
The whole secret is in proper CG and lateral balance. My set up with 730mAh is rather on crazy side but it gives me 1/2 hour flying - plenty enough for my needs. I do not need to take out battery etc.
Janusz
Old Feb 08, 2006, 05:16 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,153 Posts
Hello All,

David, I would like to see my acro take-off from the ground as well, that is why I will "create" a fullhouse version soon. You can rest assured that hand launching the little bipe is not a problem. It is an amazing little plane and forgiving, stalls are straight forward and predictable. My first flight was un eventful. Im just waiting for the weather to break so I can go out and fly it again. Maybe I will create a "gymnasium flyer" out of my spare bipe still in box. Post the pics as soon as you are able too. I really want to see the fuse mounted servo's, Im thinking it looks just as cool as the "Big Boy's" do.
What are you thinking of using for a battery pack? Some options would be 350 mah Lipo to 700 like Janusz is using.
helipilot is offline Find More Posts by helipilot
Old Feb 09, 2006, 11:37 PM
Acampo, California
Joined Nov 2005
15 Posts
Oh my god!!!

Maiden flight today...what a fun plane...took it with me to work today and hand launched her in a field near work. With nice breeze blowing I launched the little bipe into the wind and she flew just great. No problem with the wind at all...I have more problems in the wind with my Shock Flyer Pitts than I do with the Arco Bipe.
You were right Janusz that little guy flys in the wind with athority. Sorry guys no new computer yet, so pictures will have to wait.
Manish, my batteries are a Kokum 360 mah and a Poly Quest 300 mah.

I'd like to thank everyone for your help in getting the little one in the air.
This is a great sight with a wealth of information on it, not to mention all the great nice friends I've met so far. I'll be taking the plane to work again tomorrow and will let you know how it goes... Thanks again......David
Old Feb 10, 2006, 07:42 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,153 Posts
Hi David,

Congratulations!!! And your welcome. Glad you like it. Like I was saying, no surprises for this little guy, it fly's well. Im going to have to throw my bipe in the car this Spring for some lunchtime flying sessions as well. Im going to upgrade the power to a Feigao brushless motor, but won't do that till April when the weather is better. What kid of flight times are you getting? We all look forward to your pics, Have fun!!!

Manish
Old Feb 10, 2006, 07:10 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Just for the record: Feigao on 2 cell 730TP battery with 3x3 GWS prop - more that 1/2 hour of flying in moderate wind conditions. This set up really works.
I am planning of getting creative with my Acro - add some colors and foam panels to make impression of "scale" model. Had one finished in F3F Gruman style - really cool look. The whole problem is that one should leave frontal area smooth, no "radials" there - the prop is too small for the task.
Lets see what will come this time....
Janusz
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:36 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,153 Posts
Hi Janusz,

Yes, no radial cowls here. Yes the prop is tiny so as much prop area you can get the better. My HF Bipe is ready to go, just waiting for nice weather. I think this is the first time I have a plane rady to fly before the flying season. It is definately going to be flown a lot!
Old Feb 12, 2006, 09:11 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Manish,
I did not get it....what you mean by "flying season"????...he...he...
Janusz
Old Feb 13, 2006, 01:34 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,153 Posts
Very funny! OK, rub it in all of you pilots who live in great climate year round!
Old Feb 20, 2006, 05:47 PM
Acampo, California
Joined Nov 2005
15 Posts
Hi Everyone.....I've tried to upload all the pictures of the plane but lost them all while trying to get them to this thread. So let's try them one at a time.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 06:10 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,153 Posts
Looking good! Keep'em coming!
Old Feb 20, 2006, 07:24 PM
Acampo, California
Joined Nov 2005
15 Posts
This dial-up up loading is going to drive me crazy. So slow! That's it for pictures for the day, I have more but tired of waiting so long for up-loading.
We have the new computer but we have yet to get the high speed connection.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 08:54 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi double,
You need to move those servos all the way forward!!! You will be not able to balance the Bipe properly. This huge carbon rod on the chorizontal stam will not help eather.
You need to keep the tail area as light as possible.