SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2005, 04:40 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
I want to take this time to wish everyone a very Safe and Happy New Year.

Be safe and see ya next year.

Happy Flying!!!
helipilot is offline Find More Posts by helipilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2006, 07:40 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hey, Is anyone flying? How bout a flight report on what's happening with the little HF Bipes? I just came back from a micro vacation. Didn't get a chance to fly. I'll bet Janusz has been flying! Hope everyone had a safe and happy New Year!!!
Old Jan 06, 2006, 07:40 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
With the Best new Year Wishes to All!
Just back from the field. After heavy rain we got on first days of the year the clearing winds were much too strong for reasonable flying of smaller modells. Today afternoon the wind diminish enought to try my new Neiuport 11 (maiden was OK, straight and true but problems with turns, have to check it again on calm weather, not too mouch power with geared Feigao on 2 cells, just scale speed) I got my Acrobipe to the air ....
During high speed turn the top wing folded (unglued from the strout on one side ).Anyway I was still able to do sort of controlled landing. Poor little guy got enough beating. It is a time for new airframe. This time it will be no fancy "wanna be scale" - both wings will get cover on the top with Zagi tape, whole front light glass with laminating resin, all strouts connections with 5 min epoxy. I will stay with current electronics and power - DD Feigao, 3x3 prop, 730 2 cell TP and 4.4 Cirrus servos. Hope for maiden tomorrow....Life would be no fun without the Acrobipe on back seat of my van!
Cheers,
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Jan 06, 2006, 09:33 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hi Janusz,

I look forward to the new and improved hf bipe. Im planning my next flights with my bipe. Just waiting for the weather to become nice again. We have lost all snow on the ground. The grass is showing again. It feels kind of weird. Anyway, it will be nice to land on grass again. Landing into a pile of snow is not so good. Im working on stuffing the LiPoly pack into the bipe so I can have much much longer flight times!!!

Happy Landings everyone!!!
Old Jan 09, 2006, 05:01 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
The double-sided tape joints are definitely the weak spot on these planes. I've tried double-sided foam tape (quite a bit stickier) and even brass screws through the wing into the plastic, both of which worked better than the stock tape...
bykrdan is offline Find More Posts by bykrdan
Old Jan 09, 2006, 06:38 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
bykrdan,

I have yet to experience a wing failure, but im sure i will have my share of this little bipe after more flights. What battery pack are you using in yours? You may have mentioned it earlier and I may have missed it. The weathe ris looking good temp wise for the latter part of this week for flying, as long as the wind stays down. Im going to try and shoot some video of the flight and if I am succesful, I will post it here!
Old Jan 09, 2006, 10:12 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Regarding double-sided tape - use the thin version the car guys are using for servos in their cars - works pretty well. To have really strong connection remove tape entirely, make small holes with #11 blade in strouts flat surfaces and use 5 min epoxy. It will give you good grip.
IMHO the best battery pack for docile flying is 340 2 cell Kokam.
I use 730 2 cell Thunder Power with Feigao - it is 8 gramms heavier but gives a lost of ummmpf to the motor......do not try this set up indoors and may be use lighter pack for first flights.... it is a screamer....:-)
Have fun !
Janusz
Old Jan 09, 2006, 10:42 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Janusz, Which Feigao motor do you use? And what prop?

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:55 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
I am using 12mm long one - same size like IPS50 (sorry I do not have more detail) with 3x3 prop. With 340 2 cel Kokam it is a very good combination, with 730 TP it screams.
I really like this combo.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:14 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
I'm also using a 340 2-cell Kokam, primarily, although (using a little geared GWS motor) I can use a 250 2-cell and it works fine, too.

Servo tape on the struts - I'll have to try that. I have some laying around.

I have the short-can Feigao motor geared in a Pitts Special - and WOW! Does it ever haul that plane around!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 05:05 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Bykrdan,

What Pitts are you flying with that feigao motor? Im interested!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:18 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipilot
Bykrdan,

What Pitts are you flying with that feigao motor? Im interested!
Like these (but white). I have two more just like them, not pictured (I REALLY like this plane!)
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:56 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, where do i get one? Who makes it and what are the specs and all that good stuff? Cool!
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:20 AM
PittsLover
Ohio
Joined Jul 2003
914 Posts
Heli......well, here is one source of a small Pitts.....I have built 3 of these and love them dearly.....though I think the ones above are probably smaller and foamies

http://parkscalemodels.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=6

Jim
houfek is offline Find More Posts by houfek
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:33 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipilot
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, where do i get one? Who makes it and what are the specs and all that good stuff? Cool!
Thanks! Actually I made these myself. Wingspan is 13", AUW usually hits right around 80g using a GWS R4P receiver, two Cirrus 4.4g servos (aileron and elevator), a GWS LPS-B2C motor with "B" gearing and a 6050 prop.

They're indoor/outdoor planes (mostly outdoor as I don't have that many indoor places available). They fly nice - the one with the Feigao motor flies really nice; it will loop from level flight and hold inverted like the one in the video above. The last one has landing gear, although I must improve the mounting.