HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2005, 02:57 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Funcraft Acro Bipe

Anyone know if Funcraft is still in business? Im trying to purchase an
Acro Bipe and cannot seem to find any. I've tried the "Store of Wonder" and I get a cheesy store that sells hardware instead. Thanks!
helipilot is offline Find More Posts by helipilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2005, 08:03 PM
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jul 2002
780 Posts
I don't think they are in business anymore. Harbor Freight tools now carries them. They look slightly different, but are the same as the Acro-Bipe.
Matt
Matt D. is offline Find More Posts by Matt D.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 08:30 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hi Matt,

Thanks a bunch for the info. On your info, I thought I would call the local HF store just to see if they had any in stock. The last time I called them which was back in June, they did not have any and were not going to get any in. BUT, when I called them tonight, guess what....they had them!!! So I bought 2 of them just to have a spare on hand. Thanks !!!!

Too bad Funcraft is no longer. I remember calling the owner about a year ago. He was a nice person to talk to and he also had told me that he was working on a slightly larger Acro Bipe for us RC converters. Sounds like it did not transpire, that's a bummer.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:08 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Helipilot,
If you want oryginal Acrobipe you can try to call Garry Buchanan - (253) 564-9465 - he caries the leftovers from Funcraft - has P-51 and Spitfires too.
IMHO Acrobipe is the one of the finest small planes ever. IPS50, two Cirrus5.4, Kokam 340 2 cell, 3x3 GWS prop, ailerons and elevator contros and you are set for FUN !!!!
Flies very well i windy conditions, will not tipstall, glides nicely .. etc. My latest version flies on Feigao motor - boy, you can cover a lots of area in no time at all or you can slow it down and land on spot with no problem!
Have fun with her !
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:23 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hey Janusz,

Thanks for the contact. I have heard many good things about this little Bipe so I am not hesitant in the least to get one going. Do you think it would make a good gymnasium flyer? It's getting cold over here in Michigan and indoor flying will soon begin. Thanks for the equipment list. Helps a lot!
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:56 AM
Joined Apr 2001
372 Posts
Bipe

The Acro Bipe sounds interesting. I have not seen it , can anyone give me the stats, WS, length, weight etc. Also a picture would be helpful. I don't have a Harbor Freight store near by. do they have a website? Thanks for the Help. Harold
Flyboy70 is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy70
Old Oct 25, 2005, 02:38 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Flyboy,

Here is the link to Harbour Freight and the Biplane referred to.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91311

I opened the box last night to find a very nicely packed plane inside. Im going to get my conversion started very very soon
Old Oct 25, 2005, 02:56 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipilot
Hey Janusz,

Thanks for the contact. I have heard many good things about this little Bipe so I am not hesitant in the least to get one going. Do you think it would make a good gymnasium flyer? It's getting cold over here in Michigan and indoor flying will soon begin. Thanks for the equipment list. Helps a lot!
It will have be a really big gym...the airframe is a bit on the heavy side. I bought 2 at my local Harbor Freight. It felt so heavy out of the box that I just stuck it together and my son and I had a very nice time with it as a free flight model.

My regular indoor is a single court gym and I didn't think it feasable. For work required to lighten it I can build a balsa airframe and prob. wind up much lighter in the process.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2005, 02:58 PM
Joined Apr 2001
372 Posts
Acro Bipe

Thanks for the link, neat looking little plane. Let us know how your conversion works out. Good luck Harold
Flyboy70 is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy70
Old Oct 25, 2005, 09:05 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
I most certainly will. I have a bunch of irons in the fire right now so it may take a bit. Of them is a $1 foam glider conversion to ducted fan RC. It kind of looks like a Cessna Citation pseudo Learjet.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 09:29 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hey Helipilot,
sorry for delay...I think that Tim is right - it has to be a really big gym...:-) or you would have to do conversin using really small staff - actuators etc. I do not have too much of an experience flying indoors (I thing that flying is more about freedom, playing with wind and thermals than to watching the coming wall) but I understand that we are little spoild in California.
If you would build one with AWU 3.5 or less (which is totally possible using 4g servos and new Thunderpower 2 cells) Withe a little practice outside you would discover that it is perfectly possible to fly this model very close and may be take it to the gym. My models (i have currently two of those ) are on the porky side -4oz - becouse I fly them without being scaried of wind - thye fly great in moderate wind conditions.
Oryginal Funcraft rubber powered model has inbeded in nose area hevy metal ball for balance - after opening the fuse you have to pull it out with the forceps. I do not know secrets of Harbour freight verision. I will try to send some pictures of my models to give you better idea. BTW - do search under the Acrobipe - you should be able to find much better pictures and details. From my experience going IPS50 and ailerons and elevator is the way to go! Of course the Feigao version will give you much more ummmpf but that is only oudoors option.
Janusz
Old Oct 25, 2005, 09:44 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Helipilot,
there you have two views of my Acrobipe, as you see the ailerons are on lower wing only - 12mm stripes of 1/32 ply - this gives the wing additional stiffness, the thick pushrods are made from aluminiu rods and the controlhorns are from this same material - connected by heat shrink tubes (first do some indententions in aluminium rods with players - just so the shrinking tube has same grip). This all sounds primitive but it works just fine!
The wite fuse is modified to look slttle like F3F - but it shows you how to make cuts on the fuse.
You can see that I use fair amount of right and down thrust - from my experience flies better done this way. You can see the tiny magnets inbeded in the fuse - easy way to keep the cowl on.
Last edited by Janusz Jawien; Oct 25, 2005 at 09:57 PM. Reason: to add more inf
Old Oct 25, 2005, 09:52 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Helipilot,
There is my "funny F3F" - I know it is too "funny" to show it on Scale Forum but.... works for me! Looks great in the air! I was not able to reproduce the look of massive radial motor cawl of F3F - the 3x3 prop was loosing efficiency with it - I know it from building previous version.
Have Fun !!
Janusz
Old Oct 26, 2005, 06:36 AM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
Hi Janusz,

Thanks a bunch for the pics and info. Good stuff! Im excited to begin my conversion. I have alway's had a fascination for "micro" aviation. I like small planes. Also, this conversion allows me to build at the kitchen table with no problem. Loads of fun. Im happy to hear it flies well in the wind. Im not afraid of wind, in fact I find flying in it to be rather fun. There's nothing better than slipping in on a landing approach! I will have to take some pics of my HF bipe so you can compare to the Funcraft Acro Bipe. Im guessing it is very very close if not the same. The difference I can see so far is the HF bipe is electric power ff as opposed to the Fubcraft which is rubber powered.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 06:45 PM
Clear for Take-Off!!!
Dexter, Michigan USA
Joined Nov 2003
1,166 Posts
I began working a little on the bipe tonight. First, I pulled the supplied motor out of the fuselage. Then, I pulled the motor cradle out of the fuse and noticed a huge hollow passage into the wing area. Im happy about this as I have ample room to work without necessarily having to do the carving. Next, I will cut away the "cowl" area for the install of the new GWS DD 180 motor and commence with the rest of the build as soon as I can. I must say, this little plane is a beauty!!!