SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2005, 12:27 PM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
Copy right question on flat foamies

Ok frist of all I'm not tring to rip people off I just want to make sure I do things right. OK I resently bought a great planes flatout (flatana). When I took the parts out of there sheets. Having since crashed it from a radio glitch it has seen some big time repairs (whole front end). I also noticed a crask that is in the middle of the fuse so I was thinking that I would just make a new fuse from the template I have still. That got me thinking why not just make the whole thing from blucor? Now my question is since I bought the kit and am not making extra ones to sell or anything like that can I make the whole plane from the leftover parts. or is that wrong?
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2005, 12:33 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Of course you can! There's no restriction on personal use in either patent or trademark law. Now if you try to sell them....

EDIT - just rechecked with a relative who does IP work, and under the letter of the law (fair use doctrine notwithstanding), is is illegal to make even a personal copy!
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Last edited by rutat; Oct 24, 2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 01:42 PM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,461 Posts
true, copyright is ok as long as its for personal use ONLY!!
As long as we dont profit from it I think it ok to give buddy some copy's too.
im-sad is offline Find More Posts by im-sad
Old Oct 24, 2005, 02:53 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by im-sad
As long as we dont profit from it I think it ok to give buddy some copy's too.
No not really, infridges upon the original copyright. You dont have to make money to infridge. Doesnt mean you cant do it
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Oct 24, 2005, 05:02 PM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,461 Posts
Yeah, if you make a bunch of copies so they can make more copies and dont have to buy then thats liable
im-sad is offline Find More Posts by im-sad
Old Oct 24, 2005, 05:59 PM
Orion Creative Director
So. California
Joined Mar 2005
42 Posts
It's about as dangerous as taping a song off the radio (not downloading but taping off of broadcast) for your own use. It would cost the company more time and energy to go after you then it would be profiting by you making your own plane. Now like some others have said if you start to sell the pieces or even the plans well then it possibly becomes to there advantage to rip you a new one in court. They may even (but not likely) employee people who do nothing but search out people selling such items privately or like on Ebay and send them S & D letters before litigation.

Big companies like Disney and Mattel are famous for spending top dollar to protect there product the RC industry is a little behind on this but that will all begin to change as companies begin to develop next level products.
team-orion is offline Find More Posts by team-orion
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:10 PM
aka RAMTech-RC
Chandler, AZ
Joined Aug 2005
516 Posts
Don't do it, we know where you live.

Seriously, I've crashed and rebuilt all of my stuff using bluecore.
TopFoam is offline Find More Posts by TopFoam
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:44 PM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,935 Posts
change it by 10%. make a design change to the templates, just to be safe
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:22 AM
Joined Aug 2005
6 Posts
Personal use would be fine. Making copies for friends would be a copyright violation. Taking the plans to Kinkos to make copies would be breaking copyright law. As they(kinkos) would be making money on reproducing the plan.

In short, if you make your copies at home and using them for yourself you should be fine.
russtice is offline Find More Posts by russtice
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:53 AM
Tied to the whipping post
Warm-Sunny-no-Wind, Az.
Joined Dec 2003
2,480 Posts
I have seen guys get 5 to 10 in the State Pen for this sort of offense. Busted by covert operatives who were policing matress tags at the time. I am Pen Pals with a Con at Lompoc!
DangerBird is offline Find More Posts by DangerBird
Old Oct 25, 2005, 02:28 AM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
"It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission".

Seriously, why would you even ask

NIKE man - Just do it!
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog