HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2002, 05:29 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,784 Posts
Has anyone managed to get the Red Baron Reno Racer to fly?

I know it's only a scale like model, so if this is the wrong forum, I'm sorry. However, having been playing with this new ARTF from Ripmax, without much success, I'm wondering if it's the model or me that's at fault. Although this 400 powered P51 style racer looks nice, I've been having severe problems getting her to fly properly.

She wants to climb like a lunatic, despite being slightly nose heavy (according to the specified balance point), and doesn't display the elevator sensitivity you'd expect from a tail heavy model. Even throttled right back she still tries to climb, but stalls instead. Rolls are very sluggish, but any attempt to loop results in a flick roll, or at low speed a spin. So far, after three flights and three spins into the ground, I'm just puzzled. Am I doing something wrong here, or is it something simple that I'm overlooking?

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2002, 09:36 PM
arlington hts, il
Joined Feb 2000
200 Posts
Sounds like the RB is still too tail heavy, or just plain too heavy. I built a House of Balsa 1/2A P-51 that I dressed up as the RB-51, and it suffered the exact same problems; too heavy and too tail heavy. The other thing is to verify the wing, tail, and thrust incidences are correct. Move the cg forward till it stops spinning and see if you can buy some lightness. Good luck!
TFey is offline Find More Posts by TFey
Old May 20, 2002, 10:46 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,150 Posts
If it wants to climb w/o power, it's either a CG or an incidence problem.Seeing as how it isn't pitch sensitive, I would think it's not too tail heavy.
Try getting it to altitude, dropping the nose 30-40 degrees, power off.If the dive gets worse, its TAIL heavy.Also try flipping her inverted.If it takes a TON of down elevator to keep the nose up, its nose heavy.

I'm not convinced thats the problem(though the spinning has me thinking it might be).I have flown T-heavy ships, and they are a pain to keep flying level.I would think the wing or tail incedence is way off.I bet you check that, and it got a ton of positive in the wing or negative in the stab....

Let me know how it goes.

Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old May 21, 2002, 06:11 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,784 Posts
Thanks guys,
You're tending to confirm what I suspected - the incidences are out. She is heavier than I would have built, at 620 grams (22 1/4 oz.), but doesn't seem to lack power.
As regards climbing her, it was all I could do to get her to come down from about 150 feet. Despite being throttled right back (I didn't dare shut her down completely), and already having some down elevator trimmed in, she just wanted to stay up there. As far as I can see, that pretty much eliminates both thrust line and nose heavy problems. Otherwise, she would have lost height, or dived, as the power was reduced. I'll put what's left back together (the last spin was from about 70 feet), and check the incidences.
At least you seem to have taken the blame off me. Since it's a review model, I went with exactly what they recommended, and since it's an ARTF incidences are fixed as she's sold.

Thanks again,
Pete
Old May 21, 2002, 10:30 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,150 Posts
Hey Pete,Haven't gotten the mag with my pic in it yet.Which one and what is on the cover?
Mark
Old May 22, 2002, 10:17 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,784 Posts
Mark,
You should find your P40 in the June issue of AMI (I think) it has a yellow sport model on the cover. Also in the same issue is CraigO's 262 from your plan. With any luck, your P51 should be in the next issue.
Since you brought it up, is there any chance of some photos and full details of your Tony? I know she's scheduled for a US mag, but I'd still like to give her some coverage.

Pete
Old May 22, 2002, 03:07 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,150 Posts
send me your snailmail addy again,I'll get a few out to you.
Due to the loss of my job,My modeling will be curtailed , if not stopped , this summer.I have one more model to do for S and E, then I'm out.