SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2005, 01:43 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
30 min epoxy hardens a lot quicker than 30 min!

I (almost) ruins my elevator hinges by glueing them as instructions said with 30min epoxy - this thing hardens much faster - luckily I was quick and managed to salvage the situation....

Whew!

The stuff sticks of fish as well
arukum17 is offline Find More Posts by arukum17
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2005, 04:59 PM
Rat Dude
AZ
Joined Jul 2004
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arukum17

I (almost) ruins my elevator hinges by glueing them as instructions said with 30min epoxy - this thing hardens much faster - luckily I was quick and managed to salvage the situation....

Whew!

The stuff sticks of fish as well
Yes, welcome to the fishy tuna fish smell of epoxy. Lovely, isn't it?

The amount of time it takes for epoxy to harden isn't a constant. It depends on a number of things.

1. Temperature. The lower the temperature, the longer it takes to harden. The higher the temperature the quicker it hardens. I use 2 hour epoxy for certain things - but it only cures in 2 hours at 72 degrees.

2. Exo-thermic reaction. Simply stated this is heat again. You may have noticed your epoxy got warm as it cured. This heat will cause the epoxy to kick off faster. To help avoid this its better to mix your epoxy in something very shallow - for example use the plastic lid of a coffee can rather than a film canister.

3. Hardener to Resin Ratio. Make sure you're mixing the amounts just like the instructions say. Putting too much hardener in can cause the epoxy to harden more quickly.

Once you get used to it you'll probably find its very easy to use and you can get consistent results. Maybe you'll even start to like the smell!
mwraight is offline Find More Posts by mwraight
Old Oct 22, 2005, 07:37 PM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
Epoxy fumes are dangerous. You can easily develop hypersensitivity or allergic reactions. Use ventilation--fans and open windows.

Best of luck.
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
Old Oct 22, 2005, 09:05 PM
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
I forgot who, but someone has a recall out because of improper hardener/epoxy strengths and ratios. One of the parts of the recall is also mislabled epoxys, 5 min in the 30 min container. It is a major hobby outlet.

Doug
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer
Old Oct 23, 2005, 10:58 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,154 Posts
Different brands of epoxy have different odors, some (at least to me) are dissagreeable while some have no detectable odor at all, i.e. the old Hobby Poxy epoxies. Try different brands and you will find some that are not objectionable. And, yes, heat plays a big part on how fast the epoxy will set up. However, all require quite a long time to reach full strength, even 5 minute epoxy is not to full strength until after 24 hours at normal room temperatures although it becomes nearly tack free much sooner.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney