Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:22 AM
USA, NY, Mahopac
Joined Dec 2002
280 Posts
Tsekoa II build

Hi everyone, I am building the Model Slipway Tsekoa II if anyone is interested I will do a build and post pictures and thoughts here. I have already started the kit, the shafts, rudders and cleanup are done now for the cutting of the hulls ports etc. I have built a couple of other MS kits that came out OK even though the hulls were warped, very frustrating. So far this one seems to be a little better kit. Let me know if interested.
vett is offline Find More Posts by vett
Last edited by vett; Oct 22, 2005 at 10:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:20 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,099 Posts
We are always interested in build ups here. We all have different ways to work out problems, and it great to read about different approaches. And someone will certainly ask, if not specifically about the Tsekoa, about Model slipway boats, and how good are their kits.

Let the build up photos begin!
B)
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:46 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
I have heard differing reports about their kits, several members of the club that I am a member of have built model slipway kits. some kits are said to be total pigs to built, whilst other kits are said to be total beauties.

some of their later kits are better than some of the earlier ones, bit having seen them as finished models, I have to say that they look sweet. the new 4 and 10 hatch coaster model, measuring some 4ft long and almost a foot wide looks great.

I have yet however to build a slipway kit. btw change the white metal kit props to brass props. white metal props will not last long under any kind of torque load as the material is quite soft.
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Oct 22, 2005, 12:58 PM
USA, NY, Mahopac
Joined Dec 2002
280 Posts
Yeah there quality dose change from kit to kit. I have built the Vliestroom it was one of the better kits. I built the 4 hatch coaster (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hatch+coaster+) it had a hull that was warped so bad I almost gave up on it but with a lot of heat and swearing I got it into pretty good shape. I also had the Yorkshireman that had a warped hull and some other things I didn't like about it so I sold it after doing a little work on it. The Tsekoa II so far seems to be one of the better kits. I don't really like cast fittings because they are too heavy, bend easy and are usually mis shaped. Billing boats, Graupner and Robbe are my favorets.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 01:38 PM
USA, NY, Mahopac
Joined Dec 2002
280 Posts
starting the dreaded cutting of the ports etc. They are marked on the clearley hull and there are 12 of them plus port holes. The tape is a guide but I clampes a steel ruler on so thete would be no slips, the straught cuts were made with a dremel tool and dremal saw blade then rounded with a carbide cutter and sanded smooth. well time to go back and cut the ret of them.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:30 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,718 Posts
Just a recommendation on the rudder servo location and pushrod setup - go with a push-pull setup. With twin rudder boats, I prefer to mount the rudder servo on the hull centerline, right above the keel. Install the rudder arms pointing towards the keel. Put a double arm servo arm on the servo. Connect a pushrod from each servo arm to each rudder arm.
CG Bob is online now Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Oct 23, 2005, 06:32 AM
USA, NY, Mahopac
Joined Dec 2002
280 Posts
Funny you replyed I just removed the servo and linkage to and was going to do that same thing.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 03:33 PM
USA, NY, Mahopac
Joined Dec 2002
280 Posts
well I am moving along, holes are cut into hull and deck is glued in. the fore deck was a little bit of a pain as it was too big, I guess better than too small, but with some careful trimming I got it in. I must say I like the plastic for the decks and cabins, no filling no wood grain to show. I also redid the rudder linkage.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 04:23 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,542 Posts
You might find servo output arms are better than disks, especially with quick links which can bind on the disk towards the the ends of servo travel.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Oct 23, 2005, 05:24 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,718 Posts
Those are a variation of ball links on the servo disk. Nice looking boat in progress.
CG Bob is online now Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Oct 23, 2005, 06:35 PM
USA, NY, Mahopac
Joined Dec 2002
280 Posts
I used the disc because it gave me a little more through and yes they are ball links. thanks
Old Oct 24, 2005, 12:11 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
keep up the work

looks sweet!
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Oct 24, 2005, 12:48 PM
USA, NY, Mahopac
Joined Dec 2002
280 Posts
A little moer progress. aft deck hatch, steps and starting the cabin. I take back what I said about cast fittings, these are pretty nice hardley any flash good detail and not out of shape.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 03:29 PM
California
Joined Oct 2004
107 Posts
Vett,

I have looked at Slipway kits before, but was always worried about the printed styrene sheets, did you find it hard to cut out the printed styrene sheets?

Thanks

Mike
JADESKI is offline Find More Posts by JADESKI
Old Oct 24, 2005, 03:43 PM
USA, NY, Mahopac
Joined Dec 2002
280 Posts
Hi Mike, I really don't like that either but with a little care it,s not too bad. In this kit there were 5 palstic sheets, 4 were die cut and one was printed. the printed sheet is very thin approx. 1/16, a light scribe with an exacto knife and they will break free then just sand the edges, time consuming but not hard.