HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2005, 06:07 PM
go flyin or die tryin
grafton, West Virginia, United States
Joined Jun 2004
921 Posts
how in the *bleep* do you resize and tile plans

i have found tons of great plans for airplanes but can't use it because i have no way of printing it the right way. like this http://hawker.smugmug.com/photos/pop...&Size=Original

i would love to make one but cannot find how to tile it and resize it and all that crap somone please help. somone needs to make a sticky of how to do this detailed with what programs to use and all that stuff.
thanks
brad
new flyer is offline Find More Posts by new flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2005, 06:25 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
New Flyer you need to get a copy of Adobe Acrobat 6. Then with some work your set.
Or get a photo editing program and try that but Adobe is the best way.

TM
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Oct 21, 2005, 06:35 PM
go flyin or die tryin
Joined Jun 2004
921 Posts
i have adobe acrobat reader 5.0 will that work
Old Oct 21, 2005, 06:36 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Nope you need acrobat 6 professional to do the required work.

TM
Old Oct 21, 2005, 06:54 PM
go flyin or die tryin
Joined Jun 2004
921 Posts
do i have to buy it or is it a free program.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 07:25 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
If you can get it from someone for free your better off it ain't cheap.

Good luck

TM
Old Oct 21, 2005, 07:45 PM
Spring time, planes bloom
near UNC Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2003
1,787 Posts
If you wan't let me know what is the plane that you want, and scale. I can email it to you tiled. I have Acrobat Pro 7
ecologito is offline Find More Posts by ecologito
Old Oct 21, 2005, 07:52 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
http://www.blackflight.com/planes.asp?plane=tileprint

try this at $13.00 bucks you cant go wrong worked great for me..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Oct 21, 2005, 08:27 PM
go flyin or die tryin
Joined Jun 2004
921 Posts
thanks ecologito it is the plane from the first post i don't need that one resized it is the right size just need tiled.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 08:48 PM
Spring time, planes bloom
near UNC Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2003
1,787 Posts
I got your plans tiled, if you PM me your Email I can send it to you.
ecologito is offline Find More Posts by ecologito
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:36 PM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,175 Posts
I have an HP 952C InkJet printer, and if I have a drawing that is larger than 8-1/2 x 11 inches, I can go into my advanced printer properties and I have the option to print in a 2 x 2 page tile, a 3 x 3 page tile, or a 4 x 4 page tile. If you find a print that is 34 x 44 inches, which is standard "E" size, if you print it in a 4 x 4 tile format you can get the entire plot, and the printer does all the work for you.

Check to see if your printer has a similar option.

Lucien
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 22, 2005, 09:05 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Another possibility is to send your file to kinkos. They have software there for free that allows you to send a full size plan to them, they print it out for you for usually under 5 bucks. usually worth it plus you don't have to spend any time taping. Or wondering where the tape lines should be. That can be a problem on some models.

I personally reccomend Tileprint At WWW.blackflight .com myself. If you insist on printing yourself tho there are other programs out there that will do the job. do a search on the net for printing posters on your printer.

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:54 PM
fffoamy flier
Joined Nov 2004
87 Posts
MS paint will do whatever you need for single sheet plans. The page setup options allow you to either use a percentage scale up or a tile print. Just look at the print preview to see what you are going to get. You can estimate a wingspan or fuse length for example by counting how many 8.5 inch sheets it covers etc. Also Look in you printer control program for a posterize option. This is another way to tile a print.
j3ned is offline Find More Posts by j3ned
Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:14 PM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
My favorite way to print plans is to bring them into a graphics program (e.g. Freehand, although many others would probably work), scale to the desired size, and then drag the parts onto a page for printing. Parts larger than one page will require sliding the part on the page the portion(s) that didn't print the first time. Doing it this way, parts smaller than the paper size never have to get taped togther; I always center them. Parts larger than the paper usually take far fewer sheets than with automatic tiling. On a typical 30-40" ws plane, I will get an entire wing panel on two letter size sheets and the fuse on 3 sheets. Most of the other parts fit on a single sheet.

BTW, I print to 110# card stock so I can cut the card stock with scissors and use it for a template for hot wire cutting. With large pieces or thin/intricate portions use a few pieces of Scotch tape to hold the template down. You get a well supported cut and the wire glides right through the tape. The cardstock templates last well enough for several planes.
Cary Reeves is offline Find More Posts by Cary Reeves
Old Oct 23, 2005, 02:41 PM
go flyin or die tryin
Joined Jun 2004
921 Posts
i like the idea of the cardstock and tape. but i think that a #11 hobby knife works perfect to. the hotwire may get more detailed corners though so i may have to build one.thanks for the info guys.